Guest noy9000

Host Bar

Typically in a host bar the boys are more fully dressed in what one might call street clothes. They do not wear a number and act more like a host. That is they "mingle" with the guests and will sit with you if invited. For example, My Life, Panorama, Serene Bar and Bamboo Bar in Pattaya.

In a gogo bar the boys usually wear a minimum of clothing, wear a number and "dance" on stage until you invite them to join you. For example, Boys Boys Boys, Throb, Toy Boys, etc. in Pattaya.

In both cases, everyone is "offable".

Host bars are generally closed-doors bars like in Bangkok (My Way, Turning Point, Charmming ...) or Hat Yai or some in Pattaya and Chiang Mai ; when there is no door, I would rather call them beer bars and you will find them in Sunee Plaza / Pattaya and near the Wall in Chiang Mai.

Karaoke ("Ka-la-Ok") bars are more for thai gays or thai boys but most of the time farangs are welcome; but it could be boring if you go alone. The boys are generally "offable" as well. There are also mixed karaokes, that is karaoke for boys and girls, where the waiters are generally very cute (see along Soi Buakhao for example) but I never had the opportunity to ask them.

Guest ToyFan
They "mingle" with the guests and will sit with you if invited.

This reminds me of a Sunday afternoon I went exploring back-street Pattaya.

Thirsty, I stopped at a small, open but seemingly deserted, outdoor bar and ordered a nam ma-nao.

As the bartender returned with my drink, the music came on and two ladies, who had surely had better days & several grandchildren, appeared, as if out of the ground like earth goddesses in a Wagnerian opera, & plopped down on either side of me.

At that time the only Thai I knew, beside bar-boy Thainglish, were three phrases; the two following) and, 'Mai poodt Thai.' It was enough.

Some Host bars are known as Approach Bars. Most are in Bangkok. At these the 'hosts' (B-Boys) will sit with you even if not invited; or if smiled at or in the vacinity of. Maybe as many as five or six will light upon you like a plague of hungry locusts; which I don't mind but others do.

If you aren't interested? Politely say 'Mai Ao, Krabp.' (No thanks.) Or 'Mai Torng, Krabp.' (Don't want.) Or tip the ones in whom you aren't interested 20 baht each and buy the other(s) a drink. Some would prefer the 20 baht. They can get something to eat for 20 baht.

The other side of the coin is Approach bars where, if one zones in on you, the others won't come near. If you're not interested in him try same-same as above.

Some people pretend they have lost hearing and sight. I think that's silly, even if you wandered in by accident, it's more fun just to go along with it.

Guest noy9000

Actually the answers are what I'd initially thought. I just need to re-confirm the differences between those places, I've only been into Gogo bars (but not Host bar & even the sauna!) it seems like if the boys approach me, I'll shrink up like a hermit crab.

It can be intimidating. Whereelse I can just call someone (whom I'm interested) in to sit with me, rather than, being the open target. (OMG)

Some Host bars are known as Approach Bars. Most are in Bangkok. At these the 'hosts' (B-Boys) will sit with you even if not invited;

which host bars are they? in most of the host bars I have been to in Bangkok recently the hosts barely bothered to glance up from the TV or interrupt their conversations with each other when a customer walked in!

bkkguy

Guest noy9000
which host bars are they? in most of the host bars I have been to in Bangkok recently the hosts barely bothered to glance up from the TV or interrupt their conversations with each other when a customer walked in!

Are you Asian? If you're - it probably explains everything.

Make no mistake. I'm a Asian myself, I do notice that even in Gogo bars - farangs get more attention than me. Not that I mind, it suits me just fine.

Some Host bars are known as Approach Bars. Most are in Bangkok. At these the 'hosts' (B-Boys) will sit with you even if not invited; or if smiled at or in the vacinity of. Maybe as many as five or six will light upon you like a plague of hungry locusts; which I don't mind but others do.

I cannot think of any host bar in Bangkok where the boys would approach uninvited, be it in My Way or in the Saphan Khwai bars. In the Pattaya beer bars they are more likely to approach but only one or two, and they will rarely be the ones you would have preferred. It is part of the game to explain that you would like to sit with this one or this one, and when endly He comes, supposing you have been fancying about him for a long time, oh god this is a great time.....

Guest noy9000

I cannot think of any host bar in Bangkok where the boys would approach uninvited, be it in My Way or in the Saphan Khwai bars. In the Pattaya beer bars they are more likely to approach but only one or two, and they will rarely be the ones you would have preferred. It is part of the game to explain that you would like to sit with this one or this one, and when endly He comes, supposing you have been fancying about him for a long time, oh god this is a great time.....

I really think it has got to do with the attire that the customer walks in with. A well-groomed person may just attract that much attention. I remembered the first time I walk into a bar in my academic best (in Future Bar), I was like a magnet.

Than I walked in to the very same bar the month after, wearing something that Thais will wear - no one came to me. I think different bars have different boys, if, I'm not too wrong - those boys who works in Saphan Khwai are not particularly acceptive of Farangs. While those in Silom love Farangs.

## Please correct me if I'm wrong in that one. ##

those boys who works in Saphan Khwai are not particularly acceptive of Farangs. While those in Silom love Farangs.

## Please correct me if I'm wrong in that one. ##

Everyone has his own experiences. I actually prefer the Saphan Kwai bars and the boys who work in them. They have always been readily acceptive of me and believe me, I'm nothing special in any way. I can speak Thai on a conversational level, so that might be a factor. Few of the Saphan Kwai bar boys I've ever met spoke much English.

I believe a bar boy is a bar boy, whether in Saphan Kwai or anywhere else. He's there because he wants to be taken "off." That's how he makes his money. I doubt that many of them would concern themselves as to whether the person taking him "off" is Thai or "farang" as long as he's going to be paid for his services.

Guest noy9000
I believe a bar boy is a bar boy, whether in Saphan Kwai or anywhere else. He's there because he wants to be taken "off." That's how he makes his money. I doubt that many of them would concern themselves as to whether the person taking him "off" is Thai or "farang" as long as he's going to be paid for his services.

I heard it from somewhere (should be lonely planet travel guide), that only a minority of the sex worker in Thailand are acceptive of foreigners.

The majority of them works in Thai only places. If that is true - we're missing out a-lot of gay venues.

Guest ToyFan

I can only think of two 'approach bars' still going. Maybe there are more I don't know about?

There were a couple after-hours bars (Near the Victory Monument, as I recall.) where bar-boys went for bus-man's holiday. I wonder if they're still in operation?

I can only think of two 'approach bars' still going. Maybe there are more I don't know about?

There were a couple after-hours bars (Near the Victory Monument, as I recall.) where bar-boys went for bus-man's holiday. I wonder if they're still in operation?

One of them was a karaoke and has closed many years ago.

The other one was called Belami and had many nice boys ; it went down for some time but is again a good place to go now ; its new name is Melody. And you are right, one of the boy will approach you. At least it was like this last October. To go there, stop at the Sanam Pao BTS station, take the exit as if you wanted to go back to Victory Monument on the right side of Phahonyothin, walk for about 150 meters and you will se a 7/11, enter the soi on the right, you will find Melody on your left shortly after entering the soi.

Not sure however that these bars are the "after-hours" places you wrote about