RA1

Maxine Waters

• Members

According to MS. Waters it would be OK to exclude Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and others from a business establishment because of their political views.  Even though the law of the land is very different by simple extrapolation this would be OK according to her definition of protest.  So far it is the right of business owners to exclude anyone other then those delineated by federal statute.  However, they must then suffer or enjoy the consequences.  

Will restaurants now offer patrons the option of Left or Right seating?  Or will there be a sign in front that says either Right or Left need not apply?

We have had political dissent in this country from before day one and that is all good but I do not recall seeing or reading about this level of polarization before.  This cannot be a way forward for this country.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I don't think Maxine Waters is taken too seriously by anyone, except for her Black constituents. Many view her as the West Coast version of Charlie Rangel: big mouth, long tenure, loyal followers, but a footnote in retirement. She is angry. She's probably still bitter about being investigated. And she knows how to manipulate the media when she feels a need. This episode was an opportunity for her to call Trump a liar. She did speak truth to power.

1 hour ago, RA1 said:

According to MS. Waters it would be OK to exclude Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and others from a business establishment because of their political views.

I think this is a gross mischaracterization of her actions. Waters was encouraging voters to use their First Amendment rights, in a similar fashion that has been used for many years by the anti-abortion zealots. It may not be the most polite form of non-violent protest, but it sure does get a message across, and it attracts the media. IMO, it's high time liberals stopped playing nice. I say hit the conservatives with their own heartless venom and make the fight fair. A few may lose their soul in the process, but the fight is good for all.

1 hour ago, RA1 said:

We have had political dissent in this country from before day one and that is all good but I do not recall seeing or reading about this level of polarization before

Polarization has been around since 1776. Historians are everywhere these days talking about it on TV. Some pretty ugly stuff from both sides.

1 hour ago, RA1 said:

This cannot be a way forward for this country. 

Oftentimes,, good can come from bad. To fully appreciate good, you need to feel really bad. Many examples of this throughout history.

Trump is a TROLL. The biggest lying, manipulating hypocrite this young democracy has ever seen in the White House. He used nasty discourse to get elected. You don't fight a TROLL with the sword of politeness and manners. If you do, you will lose that fight for sure. You serve the TROLL a barrage of his own bullshit until the voters are sick of it. Then they vote him out and send him to oblivion. It takes time, but it will happen. Unless Mueller gets to him first.

• Members

One of the biggest differences between Trump and other Presidents is that he speaks what he thinks.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I thought Obama spoke his mind, too. Remember "clinging to guns and religion?" He spoke the truth, usually too eloquently, but that line in particular hurt him politically, and he never recovered from it.

Trump doesn't think, and that's the problem. Obama was a genius at thinking before he spoke. You could see the guy's mind at work before each word came out. Obama and speechwriter Jon Favreau made music together. Some of the best oratory in history.

Trump sucks. He's taken politics to the lowest common denominator. He's not very bright, and he's a known cheat at business. He's a liar and a fraud. He's a reality TV star who knows how to manipulate the media and some voters.

We will survive. Fuck him and his devoted followers. Ignorance does not deserve this kind of attention.

• Members
1 hour ago, RA1 said:

One of the biggest differences between Trump and other Presidents is that he speaks what he thinks.

Best regards,

RA1

"One of the biggest differences between Trump and other Presidents is that he speaks what he thinks."

Correction - Trump does not think that his incessant lying and bigotry is obvious to others.         

• Members
1 hour ago, RockHardNYC said:

I thought Obama spoke his mind, too. Remember "clinging to guns and religion?" He spoke the truth, usually too eloquently, but that line in particular hurt him politically, and he never recovered from it.

Trump doesn't think, and that's the problem. Obama was a genius at thinking before he spoke. You could see the guy's mind at work before each word came out. Obama and speechwriter Jon Favreau made music together. Some of the best oratory in history.

Trump sucks. He's taken politics to the lowest common denominator. He's not very bright, and he's a known cheat at business. He's a liar and a fraud. He's a reality TV star who knows how to manipulate the media and some voters.

We will survive. Fuck him and his devoted followers. Ignorance does not deserve this kind of attention.

I agree that Obama thought before he spoke but I generally thought he was trying to make sure what he said was PC.  That is something that most pols try very hard to do.  Trump is basically not trying to be PC or so it seems.  That is part of his appeal to his supporters.  

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
23 minutes ago, RA1 said:

I generally thought he was trying to make sure what he said was PC.

Let's not confuse "political correctness" with intelligence.

24 minutes ago, RA1 said:

Trump is basically not trying to be PC or so it seems.  That is part of his appeal to his supporters.

Trump is an anomaly. We haven't had a TROLL candidate in my lifetime, a Reality TV star. He can say things that others cannot. We'll see how long that freedom lasts. His base support will remain loyal even if he "shoots someone on 5th Ave." There's no changing those idiots, even when coal does not come back or they remain without health insurance. Some people are just blind fools. That's the way life is.

As for everybody else, time will tell. I know quite a few Republicans who are sick of him, not all of them New Yorkers. I've never seen so many famous Republicans jump ship as I've seen in the last six months. George Will and Steve Schmidt just in the last few weeks. Two conservative voices I seriously respect. This is AMAZING to me.

• Members

It is all amazing to me.  I agree that PC and intelligence are not the same but they can be intertwined.  No?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
54 minutes ago, RA1 said:

But other Presidents do think their lying and bigotry is obvious?  

Best regards,

RA1

No other president in modern history lied like Trump.   

Trump lied, lies and continues to lie.  That is his makeup. 

With Trump, it is non stop - one lie after another followed by more bigotry and tweets mocking people who do not agree with him.