Lucky

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

• Members

It's right that we set a day aside to honor a man who represents black America in the eyes of many, and who was a great American as well. The dirt that J. Edgar Hoover, one of history's true losers, gathered on King should not not surprise a single member of this board. Sex is a strange ally for most of us. Why shouldn't it have been for Dr. King? (Ask JFK.)

There is an article in today's NY Times where a remote black father goes into the mall with his daughter and has "the talk." What it means to be black in today's America. It's well-worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/style/the-talk-being-black-in-america.html

So, I hope we don't see this holiday as just another day off from work, but a day to recognize our fellow Americans, many the descendants of slaves, as worthy of our respect and admiration.

• Members

Oddly enough, Mississippi was among the first states to recognize MLK Day as an official state holiday (meaning state and county employees get the day off with pay), probably because the state had long since proclaimed the same date as Robert E. Lee Day.  Just wasn't worth the hassle to balk over what any particular employee wanted to call his day off or so I'm told.  Kluckers can celebrate Marsh Robert, Democrats can celebrate MLK and everybody else can sleep late and still get paid.

I think Alabama pulled the same stunt.

Related image

• Members

Lucky, as far as I know, Boytoy is not owned by the state of Mississippi, so it will probably remain open.

Unless of course the CIA has taken to requiring its minions (and their sub-minions) to observe Federal holidays. You'd think they would avoid such dead give-aways but, with a  bureaucracy one never knows.

I do think it's kind of nice that Qz and his Boytoy minions have been deemed essential personnel  so they've not been affected by the shut-down.