• Members
20 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Thanks for the report....Way too many people and too much shit going on...

I prefer enjoying Carnival before or after the festivities when there is less of a crowd and I can actually enjoy myself...

Already a day after carnival things are much calmer and returning to normal. You still need to be careful but it feels much more relaxed.

Thanks for the report.  Carnival is always a festive event and interesting to see at least once.  However, I tend to find the crime higher in Rio during Carnival and New Year's (Reveillon) and while I like events during  both times, I would agree that newcomers should consider avoiding Rio during these times.  A brazilian I was with one night during Carnival had a gold chain ripped right off his neck by a younger guy who approached us and was talking with us, who then ran.  Rio has many good qualities and I love coming here, but always remain conscience of safety, even if you've been to Rio many times. 

Tomcal's Top Ten Safety Tips for Brazil in the pinned posts continue to be relevant.  The only two things I would add would be to leave your cell phone in the hotel or put it in the front of your pants like the brazilians do and to watch for any unusual activity on your ATM cards after using them in Brazil.

Edited by sfcastro

• Members
3 hours ago, sfcastro said:

Thanks for the report.  Carnival is always a festive event and interesting to see at least once.  However, I tend to find the crime higher in Rio during Carnival and New Year's (Reveillon) and while I like events during  both times, I would agree that newcomers should consider avoiding Rio during these times.  A brazilian I was with one night during Carnival had a gold chain ripped right off his neck by a younger guy who approached us and was talking with us, who then ran.  Rio has many good qualities and I love coming here, but always remain conscience of safety, even if you've been to Rio many times. 

Tomcal's Top Ten Safety Tips for Brazil in the pinned posts continue to be relevant.  The only two things I would add would be to leave your cell phone in the hotel or put it in the front of your pants like the brazilians do and to watch for any unusual activity on your ATM cards after using them in Brazil.

With respect to ATM machines, try to use ATM machines that are only inside a bank where a security officer is on duty. 

Incredibly, it is easy to buy an ATM skimmer and install it on top of a genuine card reader in the area where an ATM card is inserted into the machine in order to withdraw cash or any other bank transaction (see photo in the link below).  

Skimmers (machines that capture credit card numbers and passwords) are frequent in Brazil at banks and at gas stations.  

Incredibly, it is easy to buy a skimmer.  In fact, you can buy them on the internet.  A fancy skimmer costs nearly one thousand dollars and a less fancy skimmer that only captures credit card numbers and passwords can be purchased for about one hundred dollars. 

A thief that buys a skimmer can easily make many times the purchase price of a skimmer on a weekend if not caught by bank security or a customer seeing unusual activity and calling into the bank.   

For those not familiar with a skimmer, here is a link that will show you a photo (so you might recognize the skimmer and avoid it) or just out of curiosity.   

Scroll down the ad, you will see various type skimmers - remember what they look like and if you see one on an ATM machine, don't use the machine.

One has to wonder why these things are readily available via purchase on the internet.

In the same ad one can purchase an anti skimmer. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/233143612065?chn=ps

And this cheep one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyosung-ATM-Card-Reader-P-N-7030000019/123443343570?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Db220ad1730d846fe9478373545aaf2cb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D223237198416%26itm%3D123443343570&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Then here is a video that will help you spot a skimmer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyosung-ATM-Card-Reader-P-N-7030000019/123443343570?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Db220ad1730d846fe9478373545aaf2cb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D223237198416%26itm%3D123443343570&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

And this one - 

Edited by mvan1