mvan1

The Rio Times - - soon no more - closing down

• Members

• Members

It's about time.  Well-meaning, but not very reliable.  No fact-checking or competent editing.  Do not despair.  There are  plenty of reputable  local news sources available in the local language.  

Edited by mark123

• Members
6 hours ago, mark123 said:

It's about time.  Well-meaning, but not very reliable.  No fact-checking or competent editing.  Do not despair.  There are  plenty of reputable  local news sources available in the local language.  

Just curious, how many forum members do you think can read those "plenty of reputable  local news sources available in the local language."

Just as very few Brazilians speak English, even fewer foreign visitors to Brazil can read the local language.

Although the Rio Times was not a "great" news source, it did a good job in reporting basic events for those who do not understand the local language.  

• Members

This is great news.   The paper spread a lot of misinformation, let's just say unintentionally, by  not having an informed understanding of what was going down.  Those who read the articles ended up spreading garbage.

Why not make a serious attempt to finally learn the language?  Problem solved.   

Edited by mark123

• Members

A visitor to Brazil should " -  make a serious attempt to finally learn the language?  Problem solved."

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have any idea how many years it would take a non Portuguese speaking person to be proficient in Portuguese to read a newspaper or a news source written in Portuguese?

So, an occasional visitor to Brazil should trash a good faith effort news source (The Rio Times) and spend years learning Portuguese in order to read a local paper or other news source!

Brilliant - just brilliant!

• Members

For a self-described OP constantly reminding us of having "visited Brazil for 15 years over a hundred times,"  one might  think you'd be willing/able to pick up a local rag not written in English.    I say this with all due respect, as the effort might enrich your next hundred visits over the years to come. 

Edited by mark123

• Members
7 hours ago, mark123 said:

For a self-described OP constantly reminding us of having "visited Brazil for 15 years over a hundred times,"  one might  think you'd be willing/able to pick up a local rag not written in English.    I say this with all due respect, as the effort might enrich your next hundred visits over the years to come. 

There you go again.  Making statements that lack logic.   

Your previous post recommending that an occasional traveler to Brazil spend years learning Portuguese so they could read a local newspaper is really up there for being wacko!

You don't know how many languages I know and speak.  Consequently, your recommendation for me to learn Portuguese is silly and an example of your lack of logic. 

I see from your prior posts that you previously were deemed to be a troll.   Can it be that it is time for your booster anti-troll shot?

Here is something for you to read that might assist you in getting off your know-it-all horse:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/17/remain-silent/

Edited by mvan1

• Members

I think it was inevitable. I had a paid subscriptn but then became one of the cheapos discovering you could ration article access for free. Then I just stopped reading it. It also glossed over some of the more 'highbrow' entertainment listings.

• Members

Although I receive and read a daily Google synopsis of news from Brazil in Portuguese, I also enjoy the perspective provided by The Rio Times and have subscribed to the publication for the past several years. For folks who don't read Portuguese, the website offers useful information for foreign travelers. So I was personally very disappointed to learn that The Rio Times would cease publication this month.

The good news is that The Rio Times has been resuscitated by a new owner, Matthias Camenzind. He promises to provide more reporting within Rio de Janeiro and to expand coverage to other cities in Brazil. Let's hope that the new publisher is successful in his endeavor!

https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-business/the-rio-times-to-continue-and-expand-under-new-ownership-of-matthias-camenzind/

• Members

Thanks for reporting the change of ownership rather than the demise of the news source. 

Most likely, the new owner got the Rio Times for a low price considering the entity was being dissolved.