Avalon1849

DNR?

• Members
1 hour ago, Avalon1849 said:

Do you have a "Do Not Resucitate" directive?

I decided against having one.

Why would you decide against such an order?

You wrote that you are at a high age, are chronically ill and are not able to get around without help. 

You also wrote about a recent incident where you sat for days in your own feces because you could not get up and had no one to help you.  

If nature causes your heart to stop on its own, why would you want to prolong the inevitable by having your heart restarted?

A person who is chronically ill without the possibility to recover is not living.  They are existing.  There is no quality of life.

Nature is wonderful - why get in its way by refusing a "Do Not Resuscitate order"?   

This post is not meant to be mean

It is meant to be practical.  -

We all will die someday. 

Ben Franklin, in 1789, wrote "In this world, nothing can be said to be certainexcept death and taxes"

• Members

Everyone who actually thinks about DNR worries about a few things.  One being I still can be "rescued".  I am not really as sick as others think.  I am not really almost dead, Mother Nature is just playing a trick on us.  The medicos misread or misunderstood the latest tests.  Etc.

Our inbred instinct says do not give up.  To get to a correct decision one's intellect must take over and let reason overrule instinct.  I agree that someone just sitting there unable to talk or respond to others may indeed be having some quality of life but I really don't wish to know first hand.

Best regards,

RA1

"What is the purpose?" Really? 

Life is precious. You don't get to chuck it in the bin and go grab a new one.  This is what you get. If you want to cut yours short, by all means, be my guest.

But, you don't know him, you don't know his life. You don't know what brings him joy. 

What the hell is it with people who think they can judge another's whole life based on a few words on an anonymous message board? 

• Members

1 hour ago, caeron said:

"What is the purpose?" Really? 

Life is precious. You don't get to chuck it in the bin and go grab a new one.  This is what you get. If you want to cut yours short, by all means, be my guest.

But, you don't know him, you don't know his life. You don't know what brings him joy. 

What the hell is it with people who think they can judge another's whole life based on a few words on an anonymous message board? 

"What the hell is it with people who think they can judge another's whole life based on a few words on an anonymous message board?"

You missed the facts. 

In the case of this individual asking about a DNR, he is at a high age.  He lives in a nursing home and is chronically ill.  He admitted in a prior post that he recently sat for days in his own feces because he could not help himself or get help.  Do you really think that he has joy living as he described himself in his prior posts?

If he were to die naturally, as nature intends for us all, his miserable existence would be finished.

On the other hand, if he insists on heroic measures to keep him alive with machines and feeding tubes and machines and/or other means, what purpose is served? 

What quality of life will he have living artificially?

You wrote,  "This is what you get. If you want to cut yours short, by all means, be my guest."  Having a DNR order is not cutting life short.  Refusing a DNR lets nature do its intended purpose.

As I said earlier, nature is wonderful.  It takes its course and usually works quite well.