SolaceSoul

Australian Tourist Spends Night Unharmed in Dangerous Favela, Drinking With Armed Criminals.

• Members

“The Good Lord watches over children, fools and drunkards.” And he was two of these, behaving like the third!

https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/miscellaneous/australian-tourist-spends-night-in-dangerous-favela-drinks-with-criminals-and-learns-to-use-guns/

Australian Tourist Spends Night Unharmed in Dangerous Favela, Drinking With Armed Criminals

(Here is the original O GLOBO / Extra article, translated from its original Portuguese in Google Translate.)

“Unaware of the risks, an Australian tourist said he spent the early hours of last Friday drinking beer alongside armed men from Complexo do Alemão, in Rio's North Zone, as GLOBO columnist Ancelmo Gois anticipated. Hugo Stanley-Cary, 34, decided to visit the slum complex after leaving Lapa, a bohemian neighborhood in the central part of the city, where he had already drunk. The foreigner, who was mistaken for a police officer upon arrival, managed to convince the criminals that he was not wearing a disguise. He spent the night drinking in the community. The set of slums has recorded 242 firearm shots this year, according to the Crossfire platform.

"After the misunderstanding, they were nice to me." We drank some beers, showed me how to use weapons, shared songs, stories, and fighting techniques. At 9:00 they took me to the exit, but I didn't want to leave, ”Cary said.

Stanley-Cary works at a homebuilder in Australia. He said he spent a month in Nicaragua and has been in Brazil for three weeks, between Sao Paulo, Foz do Iguaçu and Rio de Janeiro. At EXTRA, the tourist said he was in Lapa at dawn last Friday, around 3 am, when he asked an application driver to take him to the "most dangerous slum of all". He admitted that he had already drunk. So it ended up in the Complexo do Alemão.

Without fear, the tourist remained in Alemão and walked the alleys. He was found drunk and was taken to the hostel where he was staying by residents of Complexo do Alemão. Hugo Stanley-Cary only left the slum at dusk.

The journalist Rene Silva, from Voz das Communities, was called to help in communication between residents and foreign tourists.

"He said he was in Brazil on vacation, and I said he had to go, because that area was dangerous." There were about 20 residents around him, protecting him from being stolen, ”he said.

Rio's municipal secretary of tourism, Paulo Jobim, just said that the case proves that the reception of the carioca is one of the greatest assets of the city:

- This record shows one of the greatest assets of this city: the carioca way of being! To recover the tourist potential of our city, we have to mobilize the cariocas to receive the tourists with love, in this way.

Sought, the Rio Civil Police informed the report that does not have a tourist information booklet and would not comment on the case, because there was no record of occurrence on the episode.”

• Members
8 minutes ago, paborn said:

What was that about " God loves drunks and the United States" as why stupidity sometimes works out, if not for the best, then harmlessly. I take it as a dire warning that Trump does not drink and God has few other reasons to love him.  Good article.

The original quote was something like “God loves children, fools and drunkards”, and of course, some idiotic self-absorbed nationalistic Westerner had to change it to “drunks and the USA”.  

• Members
26 minutes ago, paborn said:

I had not idea, thanks. I never heard the original - do you have the source?

“God helps three kinds of people: fools, children, and drunkards.”

Berthelin, Pierre Charles (1762). Abrégé du Dictionnaire universel françois et latin: vulgairement appellé Dictionnaire de Trévoux. 2. p. 253.