mvan1

I am surprised - good showing, Brazil -

• Members

Brazil Climbs to 7th Position in Number of Highly-Ranked International Universities

The University of São Paulo (USP) is the champion in Latin America, but the editor of the list points out that issues in funding education and "hostility" from Bolsonaro's government may have negative effects on higher education.

By
 Richard Mann
 -
September 12, 2019

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - Brazil overtook Italy and Spain and rose from 9th to 7th place among countries with the most institutions ranked among the best universities in the world by the British magazine Times Higher Education (THE), one of the most influential in the evaluation of higher education in the world.

The United States tops the country list with 172, while Brazil has 46 such institutions. The best-placed - also the leader in Latin America - is the University of São Paulo (USP).

• Members
4 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

Thanks for the link. 

I looked up my school and found it did not rank high on the world chart.  This, despite the university being famous and highly regarded in certain areas of education.  How surprising (and disappointing) to see my school rank so low.   

A lesser known university in a small city in Germany (where my relatives live) ranked higher than my alma mater.    

My alma mater had two former presidents as students.  

The current annual tuition is more than fifty thousand dollars at my alma mater.   

Live and learn (and then learn some more).  

Brazil - keep up the good work.  

• Members
13 hours ago, mvan1 said:

Thanks for the link. 

I looked up my school and found it did not rank high on the world chart.  This, despite the university being famous and highly regarded in certain areas of education.  How surprising (and disappointing) to see my school rank so low.   

A lesser known university in a small city in Germany (where my relatives live) ranked higher than my alma mater.    

My alma mater had two former presidents as students.  

The current annual tuition is more than fifty thousand dollars at my alma mater.   

Live and learn (and then learn some more).  

Brazil - keep up the good work.  

Now might not be such a good time to tell you that two of my schools are top 30, and the other is top 100. There are a total  1,400 universities that were included in the survey.

Although these lists can be quite silly, one would be surprised at how much weight is given to them.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Cany10011 said:

All 3 schools i went to are  in top 20 (including one in top 10). That was 30 years ago. Not sure if i could get into it today. These days,  I’d rather do antiquing and go out for nice dinners than read a book. 

I agree, and similar time periods. Scratch antiquing and replace that with something more carnal for me. The college admissions process now is even more brutal. I’ve interviewed kids for my undergraduate institution whom I thought were brilliant, and only a handful have gotten accepted. It’s brutal nowadays.