trzinko

Rua Farme de Amoedo detiriorating

• Members

i have been in rio for the last 10 days. i have returned on sunday.  i have not been here and i have a feeling that the famous gay road is detiriorating. 

first,  the hotel ipanema plaza is closed. renovation????   does not say anything.

second,  subsequently asian restaurant on the corner that belongs to hotel is also closed. logical.

third, cafizinha the lovely coffee shop has moved somewhere in copacabana.  no more italian capuccino here.

another restaurant has been across the street from cafizinha. closed.

tonemai, that has been packed during weekend is almost empty.   even on weekends only 2 or 3 guests watching the men walking around.

ipanema gay beach is still the same.  crowded with a lot of cuties....

pointe and 117 are going well, but personally i prefer grindr. grindr is crowded.  younger guys mostly for sale.  they all go for 200 reais, but ususlly they are willing to go down to 150-170 reais.

but what is going on with the area?

Trizinko, i agree with you! at night the street is almost entirely black! At either end of the street you have Galindos chicken restaurant and at the other Rayz and most other businesses are closed except to are two high rise condo projects going up in the middle of the block(shades of NYC and the closing of the Gaiety Splash bar because the land they occupy is too expensive for 3 story buildings! 

i did not notice as few patrons as you did at Toneai! on the weekend it was fairly full but does not get busy until after 11:00pm. We were there in a rainy Wednesday night and it was pretty empty with about 15 -20 customers at midnight!

• Members
On 2/10/2020 at 8:31 AM, trzinko said:

pointe and 117 are going well, but personally i prefer grindr. grindr is crowded.  younger guys mostly for sale.  they all go for 200 reais, but ususlly they are willing to go down to 150-170 reais.

I'm staying in Ipanema soon.

There are plenty of guys in Ipenema both day and night on grindr for sale?

What day and time is Rio G good? I went a few years ago, maybe afternoon at weekend,  and it was fantastic. I visited a few months ago Friday evening and it was so quiet.

no not at all i am saying 4 restaurants on the block have closed and 2 condo buildings are going up so there is less light and traffic in the middle of the block. it is very safe to walk at night my apt kid within 2 blocks of there and i walked that street every night and are twice at Rayz in the corner and went to the gay bar ToNeAi twice!

• Members

In 2018, The Rio Times ran a story on hotels closing in Rio's Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon). The article had a focus on the Ipanema Plaza, one of the favorite hotels of my travel buddies and me for many years. At that time the fate of this Rua Farme de Amoedo property wasn't clear and it sounds like, based on your reports in this thread, the building has been sitting empty for nearly two years.

https://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-business/hotels-in-rio-close-due-to-economic-crisis-violence-lack-of-investments/

Ipanema-Plaza-Hotel-photo-internet-reproduction.jpg