RockHardNYC

Coronavirus, Flu, and the Common Cold

• Members

My PCP works out of NYU Langone, a leading teaching hospital in NYC. The hospital sent me an email this morning, unlike any I have ever received before. I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Coronavirus (nCoV) continues to dominate headlines with news of its spread and potential new cases in the United States. While we are uncertain of how this outbreak will affect New York City, there are a few things we can do to prepare–including how to stay healthy and knowing when to seek medical care. Please see below for some general guidelines.

Prevention

If you are healthy, remember that prevention is key. Wash your hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes in your arm, and avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes without washing your hands first. Alcohol-based hand rubs are a quick and effective way to sanitize your hands. These simple measures will go a long way in preventing infections in both yourself and those around you.

Cold Symptoms and Virtual Urgent Care

For typical cold symptoms without a fever—runny nose, congestion, sore throat, minor aches and pains—we recommend that you stay at home until no longer sick, just as one would not necessarily go to a doctor if one has a cold.

For worsening flu-like symptoms with a fever—headache, cough, muscle aches, and joint pains—we recommend that you stay home but speak with one of our emergency medicine physicians using Virtual Urgent Care. Same-day appointments are available 7 days a week, and you can see a doctor right from your mobile device without having to leave home.
Staying home and using virtual urgent care will prevent long waits at urgent care centers or emergency rooms, which are often busy and crowded during the flu season.

When To Seek Medical Care Quickly

If you have fever, cough, and shortness of breath/difficulty catching your breath, you should seek medical care quickly. If your doctor or medical care provider is available by phone, call them right away. But don't delay seeking care, including going to the nearest Emergency Department if necessary.

• Members

I record Christiane Amanpour's PBS show, and last night she had on Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, a famous and highly respected infectious disease expert at Columbia University. I found the segment on YouTube. I think everyone in a America should watch it.

"Dr. W. Ian Lipkin is an infectious disease expert at Columbia University who is fresh out of quarantine after traveling to China, where he was studying the coronavirus outbreak."