Guest Larstrup

The Organ

• Members

George Maharis

GeoMaharisTux.jpg

Hollywood actor George Maharis (b. 1928) was arrested November 21, 1974 and charged with committing a sex act with a male hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles. 46 years old at the time, Maharis was booked on a sex perversion charge and released on $500 bail. Six years earlier Maharis had been arrested by a vice squad officer for lewd conduct in the restroom of a Hollywood restaurant; the officer said Maharis made a pass at him.

Well, now that we have that out of the way...

This is posted out of pure disdain for the man.

I attended a dinner party once, at his rented two bedroom apartment, down in the flats of West Hollywood that had seen better days. I had been invited by a friend, who was in awe of his aging celebrity. I was early twenties, Marharis looking every bit of the 50 years that he wore on his face. I hardly recognized him when I walked in.  He was holding court to about 10 guys who all seemed grateful for the invitation. For myself, looking around, I remember thinking that it was a sad commentary on a mans life. I was cute then, light skin mulatto with a full head of curls. Half way through dinner Maharis stopped and inquired about my race. It wasn't an inquisitive probe, but rather one that was designed to embarrass me. For reasons which to this day I regret, I sidestepped the question. Maharis wasn't satisfied, and he asked again. All conversation had stopped and everyone was looking at me to see what I would do. I gathered myself or a moment and said, "Does it matter to you?" and he said, "It might." I stood up thanked him for dinner, and said, "Well gentlemen, I've obviously worn out my welcome, good night," and I walked out the door.

When I got out front, my heart was racing and I was pissed. I was driving a new BMW convertible at the time, and there was some twenty year old peace of shit Mercedes sedan blocking me in. I marched back upstairs, knocked once, opened the door to the apartment, and said" There's some old Mercedes blocking me in, if it even runs, I need someone to move it. One of the guys said very quietly, "well that's my car, I'll move it." I thanked him and looked over at Maharis, he was glaring at me. He  would have killed me if he could. I looked back and just smiled and walked out.

There...I feel all better now. :P