reader

Samat Prakan explosion kills 1, injures 60

An injured victim is carried away from the flames in a fireman's lift at the burning Ming Dih Chemical factory in Bang Phli district, Samut Prakan, on Monday. One rescuer  died fighting the blaze and at least 60 people were injured by the massive explosion and subsequent fire. (Rescue foundations photo)

An injured victim is carried away from the flames in a fireman's lift at the burning Ming Dih Chemical factory in Bang Phli district, Samut Prakan, on Monday. One rescuer died fighting the blaze and at least 60 people were injured by the massive explosion and subsequent fire. (Rescue foundations photo)

From Bangkok Post

One rescuer was killed and more than 60 people injured in an overnight explosion and inferno at a chemical factory that continued to send black smoke into the sky over Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan late into Monday afternoon.

Helicopters, some from the army, were called in to help firefighters spray flame retardant foam over the burning Ming Dih Chemical Co factory complex.

They were battling to keep the advancing flames away from further stores of chemicals at the site, and prevent another explosion.

Authorities warned of toxic fumes being generated by the burning chemicals. 

The initial explosion, which was felt nine kilometres away, damaged 73 houses and 15 cars in the nearby neighbourhood.

Thai Rath identified the dead victim as Kornsith Laophan, 18, who was killed as he and other volunteers were fleeing flames surging from a store of chemicals. He stumbled and was overtaken by the fire.

The Taiwanese-owned factory manufactures plastic foam and pellets.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said the inferno began with an explosion about 3.20am. What set it off was not known. 

Homes within a five-kilometre radius were evacuated amid fears of further explosions of the reported 50 tonnes of chemicals stored at the premises. 

Firefighters and helicopters were reportedly trying to defend one particular area that held 20,000 litres of chemicals.

Pollution Control Department director-general Attapol Charoenchansa warned people that styrene monomer fumes from the blaze were carcinogenic .

Continues with video

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2143767/factory-inferno-kills-1-at-least-60-injured

It was quite a mess. I was in the area yesterday and black smoke caused my eyes to water and breathing difficult. When I heard about what was going on, I left the area. I had friends from the area that live near this and they were forced to evacuate. I had 2 married couples in my house last night and we played cards until late and they slept over as they were told not to return home yet. First chance I had to use my blow up mattress since I bought it (not the blow up doll as I use that often). I could see the fire from my balcony but today, it seems to not be there. That said, I am sure that anyone who lived nearby will have some cleaning and work to do in their homes.

From Khaosod English Facebook

May be an image of 1 person, standing and flower

Rescue worker Kornsith Laophan, 18, who was killed as he and other volunteers were fleeing flames surging from a store of chemicals. He stumbled and was overtaken by the fire.

From Bangkok Post

80,000 impacted by huge blaze

At least 80,000 people have been affected by a massive fire that ravaged the Ming Dih Chemical Co factory complex in Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan on Monday.

The blaze was brought under control briefly on Tuesday only to reignite amid the charred ruins of the factory on Tuesday around 4pm, prompting firefighters to spray flame retardant foam in an attempt to control the latest blaze.

Overall, firefighters took more than 24 hours to douse the fire that followed an explosion around 3am on Monday.

Provincial governor Wanchai Kongkasem on Tuesday said that the damage from the fire spanned a vast radius around the burned-out factory, causing damage to private property and affecting 80,916 people across four tambons in Bang Phli district.

Of the total, 34,736 people in 22,563 households were impacted in tambon Racha Thewa, 18,490 people in 12,363 households in tambon Bang Phli Yai, 23,277 people in 17,188 households in tambon Bang Kaew and 4,413 people in 4,177 households in tambon Bang Chalong.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said the Pollution Control Department needs to ensure the air quality within 3-5km from the fire-gutted factory is safe before residents in the areas were allowed to return home.

An initial inspection showed that the air quality within one kilometre of the site was harmful to health on Tuesday.

Mr Varawut also noted the factory opened three decades when there was no environmental impact assessment (EIA) regulation in place.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2144431/80-000-impacted-by-huge-blaze