Guest MonkeySee

Crackdown on Students Selling Sexual Services on the Internet

Guest MonkeySee

BANGKOK: -- Colleges and universities ought to take action against students found to have engaged in "direct-sale" prostitution via social-network websites like Hi5, according to a well-known academic.

Assoc Prof Sukhum Chaloeysap of Suan Dusit Rajabhat University said all institutes of higher learning should admit the problem existed and join forces to combat it.

Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5, which has links to more than 1,000 other websites that openly post students' pictures, many in uniform, and suggestive messages.

He urged the principals of colleges and universities to investigate.

Many students' part-time jobs are affected by the economic slowdown, driving some to prostitution to earn extra money, he said.

He said Suan Dusit had established a call centre to keep students informed and provide counselling on personal and other problems while offering more part-time jobs to support needy students so that they could earn an extra Bt3,000 a month.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Theera Salukpetch yesterday said the ministry would write to the ICT Ministry, Education Ministry, Social Development and Human Security Ministry and Royal Thai Police as well as Internet service-providers asking them to step up the watch for prostitution on the Web.

He blamed the online student sex trade on youth's faulty values and overspending on luxurious and unnecessary items that drove young people to such lengths to get quick cash.

He called for strong families and proactive educational and religious institutions to counter the trend.

Ramjitti Institute director Dr Amornwit Nakhonthap said the Internet flesh trade was a long-standing issue and he was not surprised that a popular website like Hi5 was used as a channel for it.

He said this reflected young people's idea that switching sexual partners was common and it also changed the erstwhile perspective that only poor children sold themselves, citing a survey that found that most young people in the sex trade were not poor but just wanted money to buy things.

He urged the government to promote healthy values by praising young people who set a good example and to speed up projects to find jobs for students to earn extra money in salubrious ways.

"Direct-sale" student prostitution came to light when Thais aboard urged the Culture Ministry to investigate after they found Thai students, both male and female, posting their pictures, vital statistics, universities and telephone numbers with a view to sexual favours priced between Bt1,500 and Bt3,000.

-- The Nation 2009-02-01

Guest fountainhall
Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5

I never realised the Hi5 site touted sexual services. Given the number of guys who freely give out their Hi5 site information, it's clearly time I learned to read Thai :o

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Theera Salukpetch yesterday said the ministry would write to the ICT Ministry, Education Ministry, Social Development and Human Security Ministry and Royal Thai Police as well as Internet service-providers asking them to step up the watch for prostitution on the Web

I always get the creeps when I hear of Culture Ministries getting involved in social issues in this way. It smacks of Nazi-style crackdowns. Surely Culture Ministries are to do with things like the arts and traditional perfomance culture - not social habits. But then I suppose some might consider sexual services both an 'art' and a 'performance'. :p

Guest lvdkeyes
Surely Culture Ministries are to do with things like the arts and traditional perfomance culture - not social habits. But then I suppose some might consider sexual services both an 'art' and a 'performance'. :p

I totally agree. It seems like job should be to restore some of the old customs here, such as the Songkran Festival to eliminate the madness and senseless injuries and deaths associated with the way it is celebrated now.

Guest fountainhall

Spending more to maintain and develop traditional customs and festivals is bound to bring in more tourists in the longer term. More tourists, more income to spread around, less need to sell sexual services. QED! So simple. :p

Spending more to maintain and develop traditional customs and festivals is bound to bring in more tourists in the longer term. More tourists, more income to spread around, less need to sell sexual services. QED! So simple. :p

I could not agree more. So why haven't they moved in this direction? I am serious about asking as it is puzzling to me. I can think of no reason why they want their citizens to have only one option to escape the farm. Well, I should say no good reason, but I can think of some not so good. This would make a great seperate topic?????

How much do you want to bet that several of the very people urging this "crackdown" partake of these "services" themselves? I'll also bet a few of them will get caught. Well, don't worry about it. If it goes the same way most everything else goes in Thailand, they'll huff and puff about it for a while, and then that will be the last you hear about it and nothing will change. I also get the feeling they're much more concerned about girls selling themselves online rather than the gay boys.

Guest Astrrro
He blamed the online student sex trade on youth's faulty values and overspending on luxurious and unnecessary items

Many bar boys have much nicer phones than I do. I don't need bells and whistles to impress freinds. My 1000 baht cheap charlie phone works just fine.

As far as universities cracking down, that gives me the creeps too,

Guest fountainhall
. . . youth's faulty values and overspending on luxurious and unnecessary items

Did I not hear something like this during my student days way back in the 1960's? I think this 'argument' is always trotted out by older generations.

Guest shebavon
Did I not hear something like this during my student days way back in the 1960's? I think this 'argument' is always trotted out by older generations.

It's youth's job to shock us old fogies.

Looks like Big Brother is watching

1 The government has rather unsatisfactory values if it thinks it should interfere in private transactions between consenting adults.

2 If the government eliminated it's own corruption, the Thai economy would be more successful in the long term. This would result in more opportunities for young people to earn good money in other sectors of the economy.

Guest fountainhall

Strange story in the Bangkok Post today about a 12-year old Hong Kong boy who posted a naked photo of himself on the internet and advertised himself as a gigolo - available to any female aged 10 - 45 for around Bt.2,000 a time! When caught, his only comment was that he hoped he would not be expelled from school. No mention of how many females took him up on his offer!

Guest shebavon
1 The government has rather unsatisfactory values if it thinks it should interfere in private transactions between consenting adults.

2 If the government eliminated it's own corruption, the Thai economy would be more successful in the long term. This would result in more opportunities for young people to earn good money in other sectors of the economy.

To 1. As Ben Franklin once said, "the Government which governs least, governs best."

To 2. If pigs had wings they would fly. Governments, US included, ending corruption? Why that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

And I consider myself a cockeyed optimist. Well, cock anytime, anyway.

Guest fountainhall

Young Thais seem crazy about many things Japanese youngsters do. This is clearly one they have emulated. In the land of the rising sun there is a flourishing market in late teen girls selling their services on the internet to get them through college or purchase luxury goods they can not otherwise afford. Many end up with wealthy sugar daddies. And in typical Japanese fashion, it's rarely discussed. It happens and everyone knows it, but they put on their blinkers and assume it can not happen. The Japanese have this wonderful knack of knowing - and yet not knowing.

Guest shebavon

As far as I can remember, some students have been selling sexual favors to pay for their schooling, probably since both sex and paid schooling have been around. In my earlier school daze I remember having a friend who not only went to Columbia University, but had older sponsors who helped pay his expenses.

I'm sure that if the internet was around back then, the venue of choice would have been different.

He used bars and print to market his talents.

Guest MonkeySee

This article was in the Nation. Looks like the police are getting serious. They will have the jails full in no time at all.

Police are searching for a woman, identified only as Nok, who is alleged to have operated an Internet prostitution ring.

Nok is accused of recruiting beautiful young girls to her ring by prowling the socialnetworking website Hi5 and advertising for customers with online ads.

In an undercover operation, police contacted Nok and asked her to send three teenagers to a resort restaurant on Thursday night.

Three girls dressed in spaghettistrap blouses and hot pants arrived, whereupon the policemen identified themselves. The girls broke into tears and admitted to selling sex.

The girls, aged 18 and 19, were charged with prostitution.

One of them is a parttime model who studies in an international programme at a private university.

"My parents send me Bt20,000 each month, but I always overspend," she said. "I've taken five jobs from Nok in the past."

Pol Colonel Chatchai Worakul, who heads the Metropolitan Police Bureau's Centre for Children, Juveniles and Women, said Nok asked her girls to place Bt500 in her bank account each time they received payment from a customer.

"These girls have never seen Nok. They've never even talked to her on the phone," Chatchai said.

Police said the bank account used by Nok identified her as a 27yearold woman.

"We're going after her," a police investigator said.

Meanwhile, Office of Youth Promotion and Protection director Usanee Kangwanjit said many youths now voluntarily entered the flesh trade.

"Those under 20 tend to think premarital sex is common, and many express an interest in changing sleeping partners to try something different," she said.

In a related development, Chulalongkorn University childdevelopment lecturer Sompong Jitradab said parents should monitor their children.

"Their children owning expensive items may be an indicator," Sompong said.

He also called on children to think about the consequences of their actions.

"Even though you may have a lot of money to spend today, prostitution may take away so many good things from your life," Sompong said.

He also encouraged universities to include a lifeskills course for freshmen students.

By The Nation

Published on February 7, 2009

"We should teach them selfsufficiency and human dignity," he said.

"Those under 20 tend to think premarital sex is common, and many express an interest in changing sleeping partners to try something different," she said.

What planet is she on? :ninja:

I'd imagine most people over 20 also think pre-marital sex is common & also don't see anything wrong with it. And they would be right.

Guest MonkeySee
What planet is she on? :ninja:

I'd imagine most people over 20 also think pre-marital sex is common & also don't see anything wrong with it. And they would be right.

She is a director of the Office of Youth Promotion and Protection, which I assume is a governmental agency. Like many people in the government, they have no clue as to what happens in the real world.

Guest laurence

In the USA an 17/18 yo male student developed a novel way to secure sexual favors from his peers. He "disguised" himself as a girl on one of those internet social websites and solicited nude photos of other boys in his high school. He got about 30 hits and then threated to go public with the photos if the boys did not put out for him. Some of them did. Now the police are involved and he has been charged with some sort of sexual assault.