TMax

Renovation of Bangkok “Green Bridge” underway

This is good to see, the green bridge between Lumpini and Benjakitti parks is being renovated. On my trips I like to take the early morning walks around Lumpini park and the green bridge to Benjakitti will make it a good morning exercise walk, just trying to keep some fitness up on my trips. By the looks it may well be finished before my next "planned trip". 

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has started renovation work on the “Green Bridge”, the elevated walkway connecting Lumpini and Benjakitti parks in Khlong Toei district.

In a Facebook post on Sunday, the BMA said the renovation project started on March 1 and work on the 20-year-old walkway is expected to finish before the end of September 2022.

The BMA also unveiled the concept design of the new Green Bridge (link below), with provision for pedestrian walkways, bicycle lanes and green space incorporated seamlessly to maximise space usage and offer convenience to visitors to both parks.

The renovation project started from Phaisingto Canal next to Ratchadaphisek Road and will finish at the Sarasin intersection on Wireless Road near Lumpini Park, a total distance of 1.6 kilometres.

Read on

Green bridge renovation

Ideally, there would be more of a cycle network.   So after people have cycled along this and through Lumphini park, how about closing off one lane of Silom road in each direction and allocating it 50% for cycles and 50% for pedestrians ?    Obviously they will need a barrier to keep the traffic out.    

To reduce the congestion, add a few cameras and start charging motorists for using the roads in central Bangkok.   Spend the money saved on more cycle ways and more public transport.