JKane

The Creator is beautiful and aggravating.

• Members

So, just like the trailer portends, the VFX in the movie are fucking gorgeous.  (Except maybe that the size/altitude/position of NOMAD seems random.)  

But so much else about the movie is just fucking dumb.  The worst is that it really has nothing to say about AI or anything in general.  It's just a big popcorn war movie and the AI may as well be Vietnamese or anybody else.  

Alison Janney (CJ Craig in West Wing) is horribly miscast as a tough-as-nails colonel.  I mean, she wasn't believable as chief of staff in WW certainly not as a KILL THEM ALL badass soldier!  

TWICE in the movie random animals do exactly what the protagonist needs, once against the AI once for it.  Why?  

The cutesy ice cream scene in the trailer and movie... they NEVER establish that the simulants eat.  

TWICE in the movie a US soldier is shot in the back with something substantial.  Oh well, may as well ignore it...  (20 seconds later) starts beeping... OH SHIT OH SHIT GET IT OFF GET IT OFF (fails, 'splodes).  

It's just not very good, which is a shame because it had all the building blocks to be amazing.  

I may still see it a second time, the visuals are that good.  But I'll have a couple drinks first and A LOT of drinks after so I don't try to think about it any more!