PeterRS

Best Year In Decades To See Aurora Borealis

Experts predict that the coming months will be the best for more than two decades to witness the Northern Lights. The sun is in the midst of some cycle or other which indicates that the period from January - October 2024 will be peak viewing months.

I spent ten nights in Scandinavia in November 2014 including a 4-day ferry journey up the Norwegian coast from Bergen to Tromso hoping to see the Aurora.  I did not bank of mostly bad weather with cloud on most days. It was only on my last night in FInaldn's Ivalo north of the Arctic Circle that the sky completely cleared and there was a spectacular light show between 11:00pm and 1:00am. 

Scandinavia_mr54a.thumb.jpg.27497b44be198cb40827c47065647ae4.jpg

Scandinavia_mr57.thumb.jpg.b7fc1fce3c779f428064613110996b3c.jpg

Scandinavia_mr60.thumb.jpg.7f07f3f531031de902c3ee39cda38e68.jpg

This year treks to Scandinavia and the Far North will almost certainly be unnecessary. The Aurora should easily be seen in Canada, in Scotland and in some parts of the world further south. Just one word of warning. Aurora cruises in Scandinavia are being heavily promoted and look great in the brochures. But if you want even semi-decent photos, you need to use a time exposure and the motion of a ship makes that quite difficult. There are plenty of internet sites with advice on taking aurora photos.

https://www.nbcnews.com/data-graphics/northern-lights-forecast-diagram-graphic-2024-rcna99053