reader

The Thailand Elite Card

It was once the talk of the town: a membership card that granted the bearer unlimited stays in the Kingdom for a five-year period. But don’t recall any mention of it in media last year or so.

With baht 900,000 the cost of least expensive member, suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. 

There was a thread or two on this some months ago after the Thai Elite people announced major changes to the programme. The original programme had several membership levels, the cheapest of which was a 5-year card for 500,000 Baht. Near the start of covid when strict quarantine requirements were introduced, there was a rumour that you could return to Thailand more easily with an Elite card. Not sure how true that was but it resulted in a jump in membership applications. So the price was quickly raised to 600,000!

One of the benefits of the original card was that members could extend by 15 years for payment of another 500,000. So 1 million for 20 years - effectively 50,000 per year. But unlike retirement visas this was all cash out and non refundable. For the original memberships, there were several perks. Frequent travellers got up to 24 free airport limousine trips annually to and from the airport, concierge service at the airports and access to airport lounges. Great for some; lousy for most.

For whatever reason - perhaps partly a result of Immigration having upped those opting for annual remittances to 800,000, more rich Russians and Chinese wanting long term visas, etc. - more retirees also started looking seriously at the card, even though it was never intended as a retirement visa-type option. It was one of Thaksin's programmes in the early 2000s to lure the rich to vacation regularly in Thailand! It had never taken off and the programme lost tons of cash. Around 2015 there were rumours the programme would be cancelled. But demand suddenly picked up in a big way.

As a result, at the end of July all card holders were given three weeks notice of major changes to the programme. It was being completely revamped but no-one at Thai Elite was prepared to say what this meant in cash terms. All that was known was that the option to renew for 15 years was being withdrawn. The following Monday, I understand, there was a near riot at the Elite office on Sathorn with dozens of foreigners screaming at staff! It was certainly realised that prices would be going up and not unnaturally those already in the programme voiced their view that the new prices and more expensive perks should only apply to new and not existing members.

End result, two things. Many existing members did immediately pay for the extra 15 years even though their original membership might still have had 3 or 4 years to run. Then on the deadline day - seriously, the very last day for renewing at the old levels - Thai Elite did a total about turn. Existing members were advised by email all their benefits of the original cards would remain for their duration. No need to renew until three months prior to expiry. In other words, a typical Thai screw-up!

The new Thai Elite programme is certainly much more expensive and vastly less attractive for retirement purposes to all other than those with pots of cash. The cost of a new basic 5-year card has risen to 900,000. A 10-year card is 1.5 million, A 15-year card is 2.5 million and 20 years is 5 million (although allegedly the 20 year programme is limited to 100 per year and is only by invitation - whatever that really means! It does provide the member with 1 free domestic flight per year, 1 night hotel stay per year - and various other benefits that anyone who can pay that amount of cash would neither want nor need!). But to jerk up the cost from 1 million to 5 million for 20 years is a total rip-off in my view.

It's now way too late to enrol in the original scheme. So I suggest it is not something potential retirees will ever want to consider -  

I once thought of investing in the 20 year elite visa and for me it looked a better option than screwing around with the retirement visa (a simpler version of retirement visa like the Philippines would be much better), that would of just about seen me out time wise. For me now I wouldn't even consider the elite due to the money grabbing price hikes, at the new cost it's just not that good an option any more. 

I did eventually enrol in the 5-year membership. The cost was in a small way reduced by the perks since I travelled a great deal (until covid, that is). But when notice of the change was provicded at the end of July, I panicked. I could not easily get 500,000 to extend my membership through for the extra 15 years and ended up borrowing cash from a relative. I did go down to the Elite office where I insisted i see the membership manager. I gave her an earful about how the new regulations should only apply to new members. Sheepishly she agreed but said she could do nothing about it! So I prepared the papers for the 15-year extension, but then never had to submit them as my original benefits continue for another 18 months.

Now that i am travelling quite a lot again and my Asian flights are all in economy class, I enjoy the freebies - the airport transfers, priority airport pass, lounge access, getting my free cart rides from the gates, 90-day reporting (rarely required now) just by dropping off my passport on Sathorn etc. - even though I know I could still get all that and would save lots without the Elite card.

I guess one concern I do have is that I have only a tiny pension and for retirement now would basically have to lock away 800,000. At least that is the present amount. With rumours having been flying around for months, are the retirement visas limits also in line for a change? Absolutely no idea, but i do not want to take that chance. 

Whether I renew the Elite membership will depend on whether I stay in Thailand or not. Increasingly I am starting to consider other options.