endlessdream

Get Brazilian CPF online

• Members

One of the small accomplishments that I had this time in Brazil was getting my CPF. I was prepared to go to one of the CAC offices, but then I discovered that I could do it completely online.

The process was pretty straightforward. But you do need to speak some Portuguese. Basically, all you need to do is to fill out a form online, obtain the ‘protocolo’, then email it together with a photo of your passport, a selfie holding your passport, and declaration of address. 

here are the links explaining the process:

https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br/assuntos/meu-cpf

https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br/assuntos/meu-cpf/envio-de-documentos-por-e-mail

The only tricky thing, is that you have to get to the right person attending the emails. I first tried the email of Bahia. The answer was, it was not possible, because I do not live in Brazil, and I should apply it in the embassy of Brazil in my country of residence, which was obviously contradictory to what’s written on their government portal. I then tried the email of Rio Grande do Sul. I got a reply in two hours, and my CPF in one day. When I talked about this with my friends in Salvador, they all complained about the government officials in their province, saying that most of them got the job through nepotism.   

• Members

Years ago when I got my CPF in Sao Paulo, the application indeed required a local address.  They sent a physical CPF card to the address. 

BTW, it is very common for Brazilians to complain about the government: crime, inflation, traffic, inferstructure, broken sidewalk pavement...etc, every Brazilian I know complains.

Davet,  about the only reason, for a visitor, is to use the CPF number to activate a SIM card to use your phone locally. The type of SIM's that you load minutes by buying them at a pharmacy. If you have a phone from your country that has an international plan that works here, should not be necessary I don't think.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Zackbr1952 said:

Davet,  about the only reason, for a visitor, is to use the CPF number to activate a SIM card to use your phone locally...

I love avoiding the whole hassle of SIM cards, especially in Brazil, and just use a downloadable eSIM.  Airalo (www.airalo.com) is the leader.

• Members

If you don’t know why you need a cpf, then probably you don’t need one. But for regular visitors, I do think it’s necessary. Simple things like using city bikes or ordering food on iFood (Uber eat stopped delivering food, but only groceries), you need a cpf. At least now you know how to get one online in case.