Guest hans030

Tip for long time stay

Guest hans030

Hello

on my next trip to Thailand I want to take a boyfriend with me for long time, that means 17 days, to travel around in Thailand (Koh Chang and maybe Chiang Mai).

What should be a reasonable tip for the boy for that all period of 17 days? 1500 baht a day, more or less? I have to pay the bar for offing, I guess that will be 300 baht/day.

Thanks for your advice.

Greets Hans

That's quite reasonable. 1000 baht per day will likely be acceptable for a long-time stay such as you propose. I would say 1500 baht per day is certainly more than enough.

Also, make sure he has pocket money each day so he doesn't have to come to you for every little thing. I think you are already know that in addition to what you're going to tip him, you are responsible for all his normal expenses while he is with you.

I always advise giving him the tip at the end of your stay, when it is time to say goodbye.

What should be a reasonable tip for the boy for that all period of 17 days? 1500 baht a day, more or less? I have to pay the bar for offing, I guess that will be 300 baht/day.

Thanks for your advice.

Greets Hans

Yes, that sounds reasonable to me. The problem is getting the right Thai guy to go with you!

Your proposed "tip" is more than generous, I think. I can't imagine many guys will turn that down. But, since you're not talking about a one night fling or a short time adventure, why not ask the guy how much he would expect for that level of time commitment?

Given you'll be paying for a ton of other stuff, it be my view that 1,000 baht a day is more than enough. You also could simply talk to him, explain that you'll be paying for all the hotels, meals, transportation, etc., and what does he think that a fair payment would be for the 17 days - and you might be surprised that he might say something less than the 1,000 per day.

None of my comments should be viewed as being critical if you should choose to pay more. Being generous isn't a fault as far as I'm concerned.

You also could simply talk to him, explain that you'll be paying for all the hotels, meals, transportation, etc., and what does he think that a fair payment would be for the 17 days - and you might be surprised that he might say something less than the 1,000 per day.

He could also ask for more . . . a lot more, more than one would be willing to pay. You wouldn't be having that discussion with your second or third choice. If it backfires, that's the end of your first choice.

Also, it has been my experience that the money boys couldn't care less about the luxury hotels, expensive meals, travel costs, etc. As far as I can tell they have only one concern . . . how much money they'll make.

In my opinion, I think someone prepared to make this kind of offer already knows how much he is willing to give the boy. Obviously he knows he will be spending a lot of money on the entire experience and the money for the boy is a part of that expense. I think it would be a mistake to start negotiating with the boy over how much he'll get. I think it is best to simply explain what you want, what you expect from the boy, what your offer is, and let him take it or leave it. Believe me, he'll take it.

I agree that a discussion is a good idea. Most guys don't care about the hotels and food, etc, but I think it is good to let them know that everything is going to be taken care of. Naturally. But, the more discussion you have the better. IMHO.

For 17 days, I agree that 1k baht is good and if you are very happy with the outcome, you can then tip them the other 500 baht. I would also suggest that you pay them on a regular basis and not just wait until the end as they have to send money home to mom, etc. You can do this daily or every few days. I also always give my guys a few hundred baht or so as spending money in case they want soda, gum, cigarettes, etc. I don't want them to always ask me for money and much prefer to just give them pocket money every day. If you set your precedent the first day, they will know what to expect. Ex. when you go out the first time, give him 200 baht and say this is in case you need anything today. He will feel comfortable knowing he doesn't have to ask you to buy s stick of chicken if he is hungry and you are not.

Sounds like you have a guy that is special to you and I hope you have a great time with him.

Guest hans030

Yes, that sounds reasonable to me. The problem is getting the right Thai guy to go with you!

I have already, he is calling me every week to ask when I will come. And everytime I say the same: 23 rd of february!

Guest hans030

Your proposed "tip" is more than generous, I think. I can't imagine many guys will turn that down. But, since you're not talking about a one night fling or a short time adventure, why not ask the guy how much he would expect for that level of time commitment?

I will not ask beacuse before having holiday I do not want discussion about the tip I will pay. Because I have may answers now on my question I know what is reasonable. Because of that I think my bf will think the same, in fact I hope so.

Guest hans030

Given you'll be paying for a ton of other stuff, it be my view that 1,000 baht a day is more than enough. You also could simply talk to him, explain that you'll be paying for all the hotels, meals, transportation, etc., and what does he think that a fair payment would be for the 17 days - and you might be surprised that he might say something less than the 1,000 per day.

None of my comments should be viewed as being critical if you should choose to pay more. Being generous isn't a fault as far as I'm concerned.

Yes many thanks for this reply, I think 20K will be o.k. The last time I was very short with him but now he is calling me every week to ask when I come back. He wants to take carerolleyes.gif and travel around in Thailand.

Guest Astrrro

I always advise giving him the tip at the end of your stay, when it is time to say goodbye.

Though not very romantic, I think it's best to pay everyday. Less chance for misunderstandings that way.

Since this seems to be a business arrangement, I think a price should be agreed upon before the deal is set so there will be no unpleasantness.

I agree!

Though not very romantic, I think it's best to pay everyday. Less chance for misunderstandings that way.

Totally agree. Pay negotiated paid every day and then at the end, if you want to tip extra, that is great!

Please pay the boy daily, or at the least frequently.

I know a boy who understood he would be paid at the end of a two week stint guiding a falang around Thailand. The final day he accompanied the falang to the airport where, just before departing, the falang gave him 2,000 baht.

Here is the boy’s photo. I believe it is alright to post it here, as it was used in the Tawan Bar’s magazine advertising. “Tawan” is the Thai word for “sun”. Hence the pose.

post-163-12653545872322_thumb.jpg

Having seen too many bar boys practice the "let me see how fast I can blow my money routine", I'd at least suggest you ask the boy how he wants to be paid. Would be kinda nice (if he agrees) to maybe give him 500 baht a day and then a big chunk at the end. That way, he'll probably be holding at one time more money than he's ever had at one time (or in a long time) and maybe, just maybe, he might think about saving a little of it. But, if he doesn't, what the hell, at least he can buy the snazziest mobile phone on the market.

Guest travelerjim

Yes many thanks for this reply, I think 20K will be o.k. The last time I was very short with him but now he is calling me every week to ask when I come back. He wants to take carerolleyes.gif and travel around in Thailand.

WOW...Hans....20,000 baht... :p

I'll bet there are several board members who will

be happy to host you and guide you throughout Thailand for 17 days...

including meals, drinks, clothes, new mobile, new original "Nike",

a few designer walking shorts...and the like...

and some even speak English

"a little bit" :excl:

tj

I know a boy who understood he would be paid at the end of a two week stint guiding a falang around Thailand. The final day he accompanied the falang to the airport where, just before departing, the falang gave him 2,000 baht.

Regrettably there are a small number of such people on the planet. You have to learn the hard way & protect yourself by agreeing suitable payment terms. He won't fall for that trick again. I do hope he gets to meet that farang again

For example, if you are selling someone a car & they may agree to buy it & return a few days later with the cash to complete the deal. Experience tells me this is completely meaningless unless they have handed over a sizeable deposit.

Or if you are renting out accommodation to people, never agree to reserve a room without payment of a sizeable deposit. No deposit means they are free to carry on looking for a better deal & some will do just that.

Guest hans030

WOW...Hans....20,000 baht... tongue.gif

I'll bet there are several board members who will

be happy to host you and guide you throughout Thailand for 17 days...

including meals, drinks, clothes, new mobile, new original "Nike",

a few designer walking shorts...and the like...

and some even speak English

"a little bit" excl.gif

tj

No, of course I will not pay for new Nikes, mobile etc etc. I Thinks 1000 every day is reasonable and if he is good 3000 extra ad the end. Of course I pay for his meals, but not for his gadgets.

Guest run26mile

Geezer,

I love the picture of the boy from Tawan, and it's awful that he was scammed. Does he still work at Tawan? I'm looking for competition level bodybuilders and he seems like he is close to that (wide back, big arms, small waist). Do you have contact info for him or ask that he email me at run26_2mi @ yahoo.com? Is he competing in the Mr. Thailand bodybuilding competition on March 13th?

I'm coming to Bangkok on March 20th for a week. I'm pleased to be generous (1500 bht or more) with bodybuilders for non-nude muscle worship. Any help on locating in advance a willing bodybuilder in excellent condition is greatly appreciated. Otherwise I guess I'll just go directy to Tawan when I arrive.

Thanks!

Here is the boy