Gaybutton

Phet or Mai Phet

I like much of the Thai food, but I can't eat "phet." "Phet" means spicy. "Mai Phet" means not spicy. "Mai ow phet" is what you say to a waiter when you don't want your food spicy.

I think most of us are well aware that much of the Thai food is spiced up with loads of hot peppers. I've actually seen Thai friends eating foods so spiced up that tears are rolling down their cheeks when they eat.

The first time I came to Thailand I had no idea they spice up their food like that. I had a little surprise the first time I ate Thai food here. I must have drunk at least 20 gallons of water. Well, at least it gave the Thais who happened to be in the same restaurant their laugh for the day.

Remember the story a couple years ago when a Thai restaurant in London was cooking hot peppers and the next thing they knew the police raided because people who caught the fumes thought they were under a terrorist attack?

I just can't eat it. I've tried many times, but it only burns the hell out of my mouth, so I end up both in pain and unable to taste anything else for the rest of the meal. It ruins the meal for me. I've had people tell me to eat cucumbers or plain white rice to get rid of the effect. Maybe that works for them, but it doesn't help me one bit. For me, it doesn't work. I've had people tell me that without the hot peppers, the food is bland and boring. Ok, given the choice between bland and boring or having a burnt mouth, I'll take bland and boring. Besides, I don't find the food bland and boring anyhow.

What about you? Can you handle it? Do you like your Thai food "phet" or "mai phet"?

nitnoi, or cheuy-cheuy, When the wheather is really hot-it does help to get on with it.

but the idea that ALL Thai food is loaded with prikkie noo (mouse shit peppers) is not quite true. Most of the everyday 1-platemeals are not. Thats why on every table (the real tourist restrts excepted) you see the 4-glassholders with sugar. salty nam pla, sour nam and grained chillies. So anyone can adjust to own taste. But khun GB-you live here long enough to know that-youre smart enough to notice anything.

If you eat with a group-and order plates to share-there should be the balance between hot/mild (=cheut) a medium spiced. BTW: gulping water -if you had a spoonful of too-hot-does not help. Nor beer. Eat a spoonful of plain rice to soak it.

Guest lvdkeyes

Prik Kee Nu have oils and that is what is hot. If you drink water to try to cool your mouth it is counterproductive. The water only spreads the oil around. Plain rice or something like Thai sweet iced coffee or tea works the best, but it is best to order your food mai phet and add a tiny bit of ground chilies to give it more interest.

But khun GB-you live here long enough to know that-youre smart enough to notice anything.

I believe I said much of the Thai food is spiced up. I don't know why you think I said all of it.

add a tiny bit of ground chilies to give it more interest.

I'll live without the interest. I don't want any hot spices in my food. The only interest it would provide for me is apprehension as to how much it will cause me to suffer.

Guest cdnmatt

I actually like spicy nowadays. Not sure why, and it's not me trying to be "more Thai" or anything. Guess I've just gotten used to it over time, and now I'm used to having a runny noise and crying during most meals. :-) I have a rough time getting the BF to come with to me a simple restaurant that serves 90 - 120 baht meals (he's Thai, and more than happy staying that way), so we're usually eating at the typical Thai places.

However, I can't do some of the really spicy, Issan food though. A mouthful, and I'm coughing, gagging, and crying for five minutes. I still cringe a bit when food arrives, accompanied with LOADS of greens, because then you know it's spicy. For the most part though, I'm totally fine with it.

I also will say, I've dropped probably 10 pounds now, and I think the only reason was because of the spicy food. I haven't changed anything else in my lifestyle, except that. If you ever want a natural detox though, just grab yourself some "lapnuaa" or something, and it'll clean ya right out!

Guest xiandarkthorne

I love phet! And the funniest thing is that in Malaysia, I very often cannot eat the curries which are nothing as phet as the kind you get in Thailand, as I get gastric attacks within two hours of eating any. But when I am in Thailand, I can eat food so spicy I look like I just walked in out of the rain, without one little bit of tummy rumble. I don't know why this is so - the only thing I have noticed is that in Malaysia, I can eat only raw chili without suffering the dreadful burning pain below my sternum.

One thing I have learned over the years is that if you accidentally eat anything that's really spicy, a sip of hot (as in Degrees Celsius) soup or a hot sweet drink will clean your tongue quickly. This is because the chili oil that's on your tongue will be melted and washed off more quickly by a hot drink than a cold one (same for any form of oil and hot water).

And it is well-known to cooks that sugar counteracts spiciness. It was even mentioned on both the Asian Food Channel as well as Discovery Travel and Living cookery programmes.

I have to say I fully agree with GB. Usually we go out eating in places like Maesriruen in north Big-c for example, but also in Sunee in the evenings at Sanoong, and then it might be a bit spicy if we order TomYumKung, but their soup is not the spiciest. Rest of their Thai-menu is really tasty. If I have to eat too spicy, I feel as GB said: I don't get the taste of the food.