ChristianPFC

Gay beach not good at night?

I was in Bkk and Pattaya for holiday in January and a Thai friend didn't want to accompagny me to the gay beach in Jomtien/Dongtan during day because he was afraid of getting tanned and warned me "Gay beach not good at night". I asked why, but his response was not conclusive. I had not time to check myself. Can someone tell me what's going on on the gay beach at night?

Can someone tell me what's going on on the gay beach at night?

Not much of anything goes on at the gay beach at night. No one is there at night unless you're hoping for an encounter with criminals. It is poorly lit at night and can be dangerous. Not exactly a hot spot at night. Years ago it used to be a decent area for nighttime cruising. Lately, however the recommendation is to go elsewhere at night.

Guest frodo

Sorry GB, but I have to strongly disagree with you. I live in Pratamnak area, and sometimes I will walk back from Jomtien Complex along the beach walkway. It is well lit and I have never felt threatened. Occasionally I get the "hello" call from the beach, but I just smile and continue without any hassles. You paint a picture which is not what I have experienced.

Guest gwm4sian

I would agree with frodo that the lighting on the beach area has improved over the last year or so. Most of the dark spots have now gone. I have also never felt threatened there on the odd time i have walked back from Jomtien.

There used to be a group of bar boys who would gather on the beach near the Water Park to play volleyball after the bars shut - not sure if they still do.

Guest fountainhall

It is well lit and I have never felt threatened. Occasionally I get the "hello" call from the beach, but I just smile and continue without any hassles

Had absolutely the same experience staying at The Rabbit Resort last month. Road well-lit and occasional 'hello'!

I would agree with frodo that the lighting on the beach area has improved over the last year or so. Most of the dark spots have now gone. I have also never felt threatened there on the odd time i have walked back from Jomtien.

There used to be a group of bar boys who would gather on the beach near the Water Park to play volleyball after the bars shut - not sure if they still do.

Yes, as of last trip in Feb they are still playing Volley Ball.. Other games are available too :rolleyes:

john

Oh yes, the beachvolleyball! I was a bit disappointed by the gay beach, but then I walked further north until I reached the beachvolleyball field. Wwhere exactly is it? gwm4sian writes "Water Park", I remember a high tower with a cable car and a rollercoaster. Does anyone know, what this is called or knows a website of this institution? Anyway, this was a sight to behold! I would pay money for watching Thai boys in swimmwear play beachvolleyball. I arrived at around 6pm, half an hour later the sun set and they were still playing (this was in January), means (contrary to my initional post) I was there at night but didn't notice anything special on my way back around 7pm).

I've always kept it simple and visited the beach by day and the gogo bars by night.

That seems to be the natural order of things.

Time to change the routine a bit. The beach at night can be fun but,like anywhere else you need to use some common sense and be aware of your surroundings. I have usually seen anywhere from 8 to 12 guys walking around trying to meet people for a quick Coke or something.

john