reader

Laotian tourist’s 80,000 baht gold necklace stolen in Pattaya

From The Thaiger

image.thumb.jpeg.62cf4caf57da8536f64b74babc2760de.jpeg

merging from the nocturnal charm of Pattaya, an intriguing tale of a Laotian tourist and a vanished 80,000 baht (US$2,150) gold necklace has surfaced. The unfortunate incident unfolded early this morning, May 1, along the bustling Sukhumvit Road in the Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chon Buri province.

The victim, Detnakhon Inthakoummane, a 37 year old Laotian national, recounted his ordeal to the Pattaya police. His evening began with an enjoyable drinking session with friends at a bar in South Pattaya. However, as the night advanced, the merry gathering scattered, each heading back to their respective accommodations.

Despite the prudent advice from his companions to avail public transport, Detnakhon decided to amble along the roadside. Overwhelmed by fatigue, he eventually succumbed to slumber on a footpath beside the street.

The dawn of the new day brought with it a rude awakening. Detnakhon was taken aback to discover his two-baht-weight gold necklace was nowhere to be found. Promptly, he lodged a complaint with the Pattaya police and requested to inspect the nearby CCTV footage.

The footage unveiled a sequence of events that left Detnakhon startled. It captured a tall, lean man, ostensibly clad in a motorcycle taxi vest, stopping his motorcycle to scrutinise the sleeping Detnakhon before riding off. This mysterious figure then reappeared after a while, this time minus his vest. The man approached Detnakhon, conducted a search of his body, and allegedly made off with the gold necklace.

there's one stupid and one smart even if dishonest,  guy in the story.

Why I fully understand that one can be so drunk that he sleeps on the street, most of us were young at some point of our lives,  but why the hell one need golden necklace as a pillow beats me.

26 minutes ago, vinapu said:

why the hell one need golden necklace as a pillow beats me.

Many tourists have no self-awareness of their real surroundings when they're on holiday. 

They assume that they can parade around in their finest clothes and belongings -- as if they were on an exclusive cruise. Or maybe it makes their cheap accomodations seem more elegant? 

I'm certain that this is not the last story we'll read about some clueless tourist losing valuable jewelry while on holiday. 💍

21 minutes ago, reader said:

I noticed in many Asian cultures, it's common to display wealth with gold as a way of demonstrating success.

I'd not restrict it to just Asian cultures, we in the West like to flash our success too , perhaps less with gold but we are not free of all that glitter either. 

This guy , like many other tourists everywhere forget about basic precautions to be taken when traveling or partying and paid for that dearly. Worst part is that lesson won't be learned and we will hear the  story of stolen gold necklace in Pattaya very soon.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:28 AM, vinapu said:

I'd not restrict it to just Asian cultures, we in the West like to flash our success too , perhaps less with gold but we are not free of all that glitter either.

+1

Westerners are prone to do it with watches.