TotallyOz

Raid in Boyztown on Saturday Night?

Did the report say the time of the raid? I asked 2 of my friends that were together most of the night in Boyztown, at least until after midnight waiting for the Panorama lucky draw. Earlier they had been in Dynamite and another bar and said they had not heard about this. That does not mean it did not happen. But what time?

I don't know the time. I was told it was X boys and they were checking for underage and for yaba. I really did not get much more information than that. It was all in Thai. The BF is back with his family now and I'll ask him when he returns.

Guest beachlover
This quote disturbs me: Pattaya police explained that all police divisions were intensely monitoring the actions of all gay establishments in Pattaya.

It doesn't sound so threatening if quoted in full:

---

In conclusion, of the somewhat failed raid, Col. Suwanla-ong of the Pattaya police explained that all police divisions were intensely monitoring the actions of all gay establishments in Pattaya, specifically mentioning that operations displaying explicit sex shows and or supplying underage prostitution were being targeted.

---

It sounds like he may have been saying that to detract from the fact the raid founding nothing at all.

It doesn't sound so threatening if quoted in full:

---

In conclusion, of the somewhat failed raid, Col. Suwanla-ong of the Pattaya police explained that all police divisions were intensely monitoring the actions of all gay establishments in Pattaya, specifically mentioning that operations displaying explicit sex shows and or supplying underage prostitution were being targeted.

---

It sounds like he may have been saying that to detract from the fact the raid founding nothing at all.

It sounded to me like they took over 17 boys in. They found something. The difference between what they are saying publicly and what happened may be a difference in cash. :)

I see a disproportionally vast number of newspaper articles on gay places in Pattaya than I do with the female venues. Why? I think it has something to do with "monitoring the actions of gay establishments in Pattaya." But, that is just my impression.

Guest GaySacGuy

There are a lot of things about the article that sound threatening to me. Start with the "following an unnamed tipoff"...ok, so, is there a spy among us. I have long thought that there are undercover people acting as gay tourist that are actually police of some kind.

"In total, 90 officers were involved in the raids". The cost to put 90 officers on the raid, with the coordination required, etc., leads me to believe that is more to this than meets the eye....Time will unfortunately tell.

and of course Pattayaland Soi 1 is not Boyztown so the thread topic is misleading!

bkkguy

Not really. I was asking a question. All I heard was Thai words and the only bar I saw was X Boys but there were several bars. Then, the BF said many bars in Boyztown were raided. Thus, my question. Do you really think misleading?

And, did you know that most Thai's consider all that area Boyztown?

Guest beachlover

There are a lot of things about the article that sound threatening to me. Start with the "following an unnamed tipoff"...ok, so, is there a spy among us. I have long thought that there are undercover people acting as gay tourist that are actually police of some kind.

"In total, 90 officers were involved in the raids". The cost to put 90 officers on the raid, with the coordination required, etc., leads me to believe that is more to this than meets the eye....Time will unfortunately tell.

Well, a tip off can come from anywhere. Businesses make enemies all the time.

After the BIB were tipped off about the businesses, the businesses may have been tipped off about the raid and ensured they were crystal clean that night. I'm sure anyone alerting them to such a major raid would have been handsomely rewarded.

Guest GaySacGuy

Well, a tip off can come from anywhere. Businesses make enemies all the time.

After the BIB were tipped off about the businesses, the businesses may have been tipped off about the raid and ensured they were crystal clean that night. I'm sure anyone alerting them to such a major raid would have been handsomely rewarded.

The key to this is that it is plural...it isn't about one venue, but several..and 90 BIB. There is more to this than just a simple raid of A bar.

Guest beachlover

True... But don't these raids take place on bars or groups of bars in Pattaya all the time? It seems that every other week you hear about a raid on Sunee.

I heard the other day the BIB were pee testing ANY Thai who left the area on the street out in the open!

Guest YardenUK

I am playing devil's advocate now so please don't flame me - just thinking out loud.

There are Thai laws covering a variety of issues from prostitution, drugs, underage sex etc - just like there are laws in (almost) every country covering such issues. So why would the Royal Thai Police not make raids if they suspected that things were happening in certain venues that contravened these laws?

Police raid bars and clubs in other countries (I have been in London clubs recently that had the Police come in checking for the sale of illegal drugs, and arresting those suspected) - that's the role of the police surely?

Yeah I know the issues about back handers etc, but it can hardly be unexpected that the police force in any country raid venues from time to time if they have intelligence suggesting the laws of the land are being ignored. That's the nature of law enforcement I would have thought. If these things didn't happen from time to time it is a recipe for anarchy I would have thought.

Guest beachlover

I don't know exactly what you are trying to get at... But I think the bars in general are rife with the issues you listed above (disregarding prostitution, of course). Would that be such a surprise?... So regular raids make sense, regardless of whether there's specific intelligence.

Guest YardenUK

I don't know exactly what you are trying to get at... But I think the bars in general are rife with the issues you listed above (disregarding prostitution, of course). Would that be such a surprise?... So regular raids make sense, regardless of whether there's specific intelligence.

I was simply trying to point out that the "shock horror" attitude that seems to come when the police raid venues is strange to me. Police forces do this all over the world, and while it is somewhat newsworthy, it isnt that surprising. Police officers are supposed to police.

Guest beachlover

I agree... Although it does seem to happen a LOT in Pattaya, especially in Sunee Plaza.

You could call it a regular disruption in their customers' otherwise dull lives...

Guest GaySacGuy

I agree... Although it does seem to happen a LOT in Pattaya, especially in Sunee Plaza.

You could call it a regular disruption in their customers' otherwise dull lives...

It is the BIB way of saying that the beer money must come through, and here is what will happen to your business if it doesn't....actually pretty simple.

Guest joseph44

Not really. I was asking a question. All I heard was Thai words and the only bar I saw was X Boys but there were several bars. Then, the BF said many bars in Boyztown were raided. Thus, my question. Do you really think misleading?

And, did you know that most Thai's consider all that area Boyztown?

I know the area as 'Pattayaland' (Soi 13/1, 13/2 and 13/3) and the Soi with BBB, Copa and the rest as 'BoyzTown' (Soi 13/3)

Guest GaySacGuy

So, let's see if I have this right....Customer's of gay bars in Sunee Plaza lead dull lives....Not a conclusion I would have reached!

Guest beachlover

Yeah... Just seems like a back and fourth thing that happens. Or maybe it's more so for the benefit of NGOs and higher authorities - to see they are taking "action".

It sounds like the Santika Nightclub was refused a license multiple times because the authorities preferred to collect tea money (rather than grant a license)... hence the complete absence of fire safety and the subsequent tragedy. Though, there's no certainty a license would mean fire safety had been implemented.

Guest GaySacGuy

Yeah... Just seems like a back and fourth thing that happens. Or maybe it's more so for the benefit of NGOs and higher authorities - to see they are taking "action".

It sounds like the Santika Nightclub was refused a license multiple times because the authorities preferred to collect tea money (rather than grant a license)... hence the complete absence of fire safety and the subsequent tragedy. Though, there's no certainty a license would mean fire safety had been implemented.

Let's see...I have tried several ways..reread the thread..but can't seem to see how it fits in here????