PattayaMale

Thailand to Myanmar (Burma)

My Thai Friend and I will be visiting Yangon (Rangoon) Burma towards the end of September. I saw here that the military has cancelled "visa on arrival". We are going for just 4 days, but the reason for the post is to again encourage the new owners to think about making a separate forum for each close Asian country like, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Myanmar.

I did a search to find information on traveling to Burma and if any gay scene. The search engine here is not fantastic, but there were a couple posters that I sent a PM too that provided some helpful information. I will post after our trip in the Asia forum, unless new forums appear.

But if anyone has some tips please send me a PM if you don't want to post here.

Guest MonkeySee

There is a coffee house and a tea shop in the block across the street from the Trader's Hotel in Yangon which might be cruisy. Don't expect any commercial gay establishment in Myanmar, but there are areas you might find some new friends.

the reason for the post is to again encourage the new owners to think about making a separate forum for each close Asian country like, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Myanmar.

We can do this for you. Are you suggesting sub-forums of the Gay Asia forum? If so, I have added the forums to that area. Check it out. We can also copy any relevant threads to the correct forum to make it easy to find the information.

We can do this for you. Are you suggesting sub-forums of the Gay Asia forum? If so, I have added the forums to that area. Check it out. We can also copy any relevant threads to the correct forum to make it easy to find the information.

Well done.

The next trick will be to attract people to post in these forums.

There's very little gay travel information for some of Thailand's neighbours on the net.

Cambodia gets some, but Laos & Vietnam have very scant coverage.

So it's an interesting market to tap into, with very little competition. Guess we need to get existing members to post about their trips (please) & then people who know more about the subject than me can figure how to get google searches for Gay Laos, Gay Cambodia....etc to flag up this site.

Guest travelerjim

Well done.

The next trick will be to attract people to post in these forums.

There's very little gay travel information for some of Thailand's neighbours on the net.

Cambodia gets some, but Laos & Vietnam have very scant coverage.

So it's an interesting market to tap into, with very little competition. Guess we need to get existing members to post about their trips (please) & then people who know more about the subject than me can figure how to get google searches for Gay Laos, Gay Cambodia....etc to flag up this site.

May I suggest Scooby and the OP leave the OP here for a few days, weeks...

then move it over to the other forums..Asia/sub Asia etc.

If it is moved and or posted immediately on the sub boards..it gets lost.

Few who look at the main forum GT...will see it..

unless they want to learn more about that specific country.

Since the Visa on Arrival is no longer available, we had to go to the Burma (Union of Myanmar Embassy) in Bangkok. We drove to Bumrungrad Hospital since I had an appointment there and took a taxi to the Embassy (71 baht)arriving at 9am. You enter the Embassy on the side street Pan. When we entered there were four windows. You can get forms from window one if you haven't filled the forms out before arrival. They also check the forms to make sure you have all the paper work then then give you a number. (They also provide glue to attach your picture to the application). They have 3 types of numbers; tourist, Thai, business. Those wanting a Thai and Business visa were processed very fast. The Tourist takes longer. It seemed that the reason for this was that their are many back backers from different countries and the Embassy is staffed with only , Burmese, Thai, and English speaking staff. The fee was 850 baht and the visa would be ready in 2 or 3 days. For an extra 450 baht we could get express service, which allowed us to pick up the visa the same day which we did.

We returned at 3:30pm and the process was simple to pick up the visa. Just give them the receipt they gave you earlier. There is a big sign asking that you ensure that the visa is correct AND that your arrival card has been signed by an official. If it has not been signed even though you have a visa you will not be allowed to enter.

As I wrote earlier, most, maybe all of those seeking a visa were backpackers. Easy to start conversations with.

If it is moved and or posted immediately on the sub boards..it gets lost.

Few who look at the main forum GT...will see it..

One other option is a reliable & prominent "View New Content" button that shows all the new posts from any sub-forum.

GB's forum & Tingtong have that. On those boards it really does only appear to show new content, but here it is rather hit & miss, so I don't use it.

Ideally it would be more prominent, so people are actively encouraged to use it.

Guest travelerjim

PattayaMale,

I wish you a safe and great trip to Myanmar.

Thank you for your posted updates regarding the visa for your trip...

Please do report back and post some pics.

Might I ask?

Will you have your own 4 Burmese Boys to carry you

as you trek to and fro in Burma???

..ala Geezer when he visited Burma?

We all know there is ONLY ONE Geezer...

but copy-copy-copy is the best form of flattery...

tj

Guest travelerjim

PattayaMale,

Might I ask?

Geezer.jpg

tj

Guest MonkeySee

PattayaMale,

PM, if you have time, travel to Kyaiktiyo Pagoda. You too, for a price, can have four Burmese boys carry you to the top. Golden Rock, as it is widely known, is well worth a visit if you like Buddhist holy spots.

PattayaMale,

I wish you a safe and great trip to Myanmar.

Thank you for your posted updates regarding the visa for your trip...

Please do report back and post some pics.

Might I ask?

tj

I have always thought that picture of Geezer being carried by those strong good looking Burmese Boys is a classic.

Of course at my size, we will need 8 VERY strong Burmese boys!

PM, if you have time, travel to Kyaiktiyo Pagoda. You too, for a price, can have four Burmese boys carry you to the top. Golden Rock, as it is widely known, is well worth a visit if you like Buddhist holy spots.

Thank you for the suggestion. This trip I will only be in Yangon vicinity. In November a group of 3 are planning to make a 10 day tour.

If you know anyone around the Kyaiktiyo Pagado. Tell them to start to work out as I will see them shortly.

Guest fountainhall

Has anyone tried the Purple Dragon Tours to Myanmar? I took excellent tours to Luang Prabang and Phnom Penh with them before they changed the name. They tend to be for individual or small group travellers and so are not as cheap as other tours. But they also tend to use either gay or gay friendly guides and hotels.

Has anyone tried the Purple Dragon Tours to Myanmar? I took excellent tours to Luang Prabang and Phnom Penh with them before they changed the name. They tend to be for individual or small group travellers and so are not as cheap as other tours. But they also tend to use either gay or gay friendly guides and hotels.

I had that idea and even had start to collect info for to order tour, but late found few complains in Internet about PD service and lost interest.

Guest MonkeySee
If you know anyone around the Kyaiktiyo Pagado. Tell them to start to work out as I will see them shortly.

I am sure those Burmese boys at Golden Rock will be ready for you. Speaking of gold, if go to Mandalay, make sure you see how they make the gold into the thin paper shape used to paste on the shrine. The shirtless boys pounding the gold are really cute.

Guest GaySacGuy

I had that idea and even had start to collect info for to order tour, but late found few complains in Internet about PD service and lost interest.

I can only say Moses that I have taken Purple Dragon tours in Phuket, Chaimai twice, Vietnam twice, and have always had good service and excellent guides. I would take another tour with them in the future if I travel to areas they service.

Guest MonkeySee

My Thai Friend and I will be visiting Yangon (Rangoon) Burma towards the end of September. I saw here that the military has cancelled "visa on arrival". We are going for just 4 days, but the reason for the post is to again encourage the new owners to think about making a separate forum for each close Asian country like, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Myanmar.

I did a search to find information on traveling to Burma and if any gay scene. The search engine here is not fantastic, but there were a couple posters that I sent a PM too that provided some helpful information. I will post after our trip in the Asia forum, unless new forums appear.

But if anyone has some tips please send me a PM if you don't want to post here.

Another cruisy area is the pedestrian crosswalk at Theingyi market. Late afternoon and early evening many locals hang out here looking for a hook-up.

I can only say Moses that I have taken Purple Dragon tours in Phuket, Chaimai twice, Vietnam twice, and have always had good service and excellent guides. I would take another tour with them in the future if I travel to areas they service.

Since I have friends in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam now - I have no reasons to use PG service anymore in thus countries, as well Internet give me opportunity to deal directly with suppliers of services with more adorable prices... there are no exclusive offers from PD for thus countries which I can't get by myself just with few clicks...

But for some areas like Myanmar or Tibet I will contact agents or operators - coz their help in thus areas can really be usable.

If anyone is looking for a tour group in Myanmar I would suggest you contact yuyuwin@tourmandalay.com.mm I contacted several agencies and while this one is not the cheapest, the response from them has bee very help full. I will report later how the service on the tour and about the tour guide.

As I have not done the actual tour yet I can not comment about the guide, however, I have been assured by TOURMANDALAY, that I will have a guide that "Is very knowledgeable about the gay culture....".

Guest MonkeySee

When traveling to Yangon, I would be careful and be aware of your surroundings. Crime is not the problem but with the upcoming elections anything can happen. Have a great time and take a lot of pictures.

"I am sure those Burmese boys at Golden Rock will be ready for you. Speaking of gold, if go to Mandalay, make sure you see how they make the gold into the thin paper shape used to paste on the shrine. The shirtless boys pounding the gold are really cute."

Well, I guess the cute ones were off the day I visited. I found pulchritude hard to come by in Burma, but one must take what is available. These four did visit me en masse in my hotel. 

I only invited one, but four came -- oh well.

post-163-12847000899789_thumb.jpg

post-163-12847001129416_thumb.jpg

post-163-12847001319756_thumb.jpg