Guest aot87

thai boys and the exchange rate

Do the bar boys know about the farang falling exchange rates, and how much more its costing to take off a boy or are they still asking for the normal rate. I was last in PATTAYA in march , when i was paying 1500 bht short time , the

Guest fountainhall

What i ment to say , is less bht to £/$ means less money to spend , so less off per week and less drink in go go bars ie funny boys at 150 per drink

There have been various discussions from time to time about the rising baht and the idea that this should encourage venue operators and boys to lower their prices. I'm sorry I don't agree. These guys are not providing services just for you or me (and my income is falling for currency reasons like most others). Thailand is an international destination with many more now visiting from, for example, other Asian countries (in numbers which will dwarf westerners in the longer term). Many Asian currencies have been rising along with the Baht. Just look at the Yen and Singapore dollar rates - yikes! So those of us depending on sterling, the Euro and US dollars had better diversify our savings, for the Baht is predicted to rise to close to 30 to the US$ early next year, and eventually to even higher than it was in 1997 - 25 to the US$. Of course, predictions can go wrong, but the trend at present is very definitely up.

My experience is that some do understand, some don't and some don't care. I am dealing with my bf who I promised a fixed allowance, but that was when the rate was 40 Baht to the USD. Now it is costing me significantly more to keep my promise. His costs are still the same and does not understand that it is costing me much more. But then, all farang are rich. At one time I would not think of lowing my "tip" for services provided by bar boys, etc but now I am reconsidering that.

Guest lvdkeyes

The Thai cost of living has gone up which is why the boys and everyone else wants more money, not less. When I first came here 15 years ago I was told by a hotel/bar owner that the tip for boys was "500 baht and don't pay a penny more". The only price I remember for sure was 38 baht for breakfast at the Boat Restaurant. Now it is 50 baht. That is a rise of 7.6%. Increasing the boy's tip by that % would be 870 baht, but that is based only on one item. I am not sure what the rise in cost of living has been overall in 15 years.

Guest Astrrro

Farangs having less money due to an unfavorable exchange rate affects the demand curve which would normally result in a lower equilbrium price at the intersection of the supply curve.

However, everything is out of whack in this scenario in that the lowest price that boys will accept is way lower than what most farangs feel is fair.

So if u feel that a lower price is fair, and you really believe that, then there should be no problem finding boys in paradise.

The whole thing's about supply & demand. You can't just consider his costs and ignore the farang side of the equation.

Ultimately, if the Thai baht goes up by 50%, demand from farang is likely to fall & the Thai guys either have to show some flexibility on pricing or get less custom.

I reckon the typical Thai "tip" is about 2.7x the average Thai gdp per capita & this ratio is quite high compared with some other countries. ie The prostitution income premium over other jobs is comparatively good in Thailand.

Equally, such tips are cheap compared with what we might pay at home.

I suspect the result might be tips rising below inflation & staying close to the 1000 baht price point for a while.

Guest fountainhall

The whole thing's about supply & demand. You can't just consider his costs and ignore the farang side of the equation.

I really just don't get it! Why is that farangs, mostly from the USA and Europe, believe their currency should be the sole determinant of what constitutes a fair tip, with the boys and bars getting less because your currencies are falling? If you take that argument to any kind of logical conclusion, you have to tell hotels, taxis, shopping malls etc. that they have to reduce their prices as well!

And when will western tourists get it into their heads that western tourists are no longer the main source of income for many of these establishments? It really is no coincidence that THAI is opening lots of new routes to Chinese, Indian and Middle Eastern destinations. Nor that flocks of new tourists are arriving from other parts of Asia and other countries; indeed from many countries whose currencies have not been falling. If my hunch is right, Chinese tourists will outnumber most others in about 5 - 7 years time. And the Renminbi is going nowhere but up!

Sure, the supply of gay western tourists may be falling. But the supply of gay tourists from other parts of the world is on the increase. That is the point which farang have to consider.

Whatever, a tip is a tip. If you want to pay less than what you believe the going rate to be, go ahead and pay less. But don't complain to the boy that it's because your currency is worth less than last year!

Guest voldemar

If my hunch is right, Chinese tourists will outnumber most others in about 5 - 7 years time. And the Renminbi is going nowhere but up!

Sure, the supply of gay western tourists may be falling. But the supply of gay tourists from other parts of the world is on the increase. That is the point which farang have to consider.

It may or may not be the case. I really do not see any substantial increase in Chinese tourists in Thailand. My hunch is that Chinese will develop their own destinations like Macau or Hanan island. Of course, it is not a substitute for gay tourists right now and may require some cultural changes but it is coming...

I do agree with you in some aspects. E.g. it is worthwhile to consider currency hedges like Singapore dollar or even Malaysian ringit which appreciates faster than Thai baht and yields much more than Singapore dollar...

Guest fountainhall

It is worse:

3 years ago a beer in Throb & Splash: THB 120 or GBP 1.70 (GBP 1 = THB 72)

now in Copa (former T&S) a beer for THB 160 or GBP 3.40 (GBP 1 = THB 47)

You are absolutely correct. But compare that to Japanese Yen. About 3 years ago, the Yen was around 115 - 119 to the US$. I know because I was fortunate enough to buy some. Now it is in the 84 - 86 range. So Thailand for Japanese gay tourists is far cheaper now than it was then. And you see quite a lot of Japanese gay tourists visiting Thailand now.

I really do not see any substantial increase in Chinese tourists in Thailand. My hunch is that Chinese will develop their own destinations like Macau or Hanan island. Of course, it is not a substitute for gay tourists right now and may require some cultural changes but it is coming...

Yes, my timeline may be a bit optimistic! But there are many millions of young gay guys still in the closet in China. From those I talk to, including several I met in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago, they all want to come to Thailand. They want to be free for a few days in a free gay environment.

I also talked to two guys when I was last in Hong Kong early last month. They go to Hong Kong every 2 months - basically for sex and to meet other gays. But they also visit Bangkok once a year, and they said they want to make that at least twice starting next year. So whilst Hong Kong, Macau, Hainan will still get a lot of mainland gay tourists, Thailand remains the 'mecca' for most, even though they may not make it here for a few years.

Guest travelerjim

As I understand it, 1500 baht for short time is a lot. That's about 5 days wages for an ordinary working Thai.

lvdkeyes,

When I first read the OP, I thought that visiting farang

must be on every Thai boy's dream list.

Indeed, the tip is truly "up to you".

There may be some validity in the argument that those

visiting Thailand and still employed, might be in a better

financial position to be a generous tipper. The exchange rate

may not be that important for a few weeks of fun in the sun.

For those retired and not living in Thailand, the exchange rates and

financial crunches felt worldwide may impact their budgets for

making the trek to Thailand.

Making one trip annually vs the two or more before.

Staying at a guesthouse or budget type hotel vs the 4 or 5 stars.

Eating less expensive meals each day;

Visiting the gay bars who do offer Happy Hour promotions..etc...

but still can enjoy the "eye candy" of Thailand by better budgeting

their time spent entertaining the Thai boys.

The retired Expat living in Thailand may be impacted more by the

exchange rates. The US$ is now 6% less in value vs the THB this year alone.

The Expat who lives in Thailand and works here, earns Thai Baht,

and probably is not as affected by the changing exchange rates.

From what I have seen and learned in chatting with many retired Expats,

who live in Thailand...the rates for short time range from 500-700 THB;

and long time (overnight) 1,000-1,200 THB.

But the retired Expat may invite a Thai to be with them many times

over the year...vs... a one off or couple of times when the visitor

is on holiday in Thailand.

I am sure there are those more generous as well as those l.

and the Thai boys always are welcoming the tips.

Again, It is "UP to You"

Enjoy Thailand!

tj

From what I have seen and learned in chatting with many retired Expats, who live in Thailand...the rates for short time range from 500-700 THB; and long time (overnight) 1,000-1,200 THB.

But the retired Expat may invite a Thai to be with them many times over the year...vs... a one off or couple of times when the visitor is on holiday in Thailand.

I am sure there are those more generous as well as those l. and the Thai boys always are welcoming the tips.

Again, It is "UP to You"

We must know different expats. I have not met any who say the rates are 500 baht for a short time. Unless, this is only Sunee Plaza or GayRomeo. It was my understanding that 1,000 baht is the bare minimum for any short time stay. Am I incorrect?

Plus, I think there was a meeting a few months back and all agreed that 1500 was now the minimum tip for all areas of Thailand. I was at that meeting but I admit to having a boy give me a foot massage while everyone was speaking so I might have missed the vote. :)

Guest Astrrro

If you take that argument to any kind of logical conclusion, you have to tell hotels, taxis, shopping malls etc. that they have to reduce their prices as well!

That is exactly what happens when the demand curve shifts.

Now if the influx of Asian tourists more than compensates for the weakening farang demand then the equilibrium price will rise.

Guest travelerjim

We must know different expats. I have not met any who say the rates are 500 baht for a short time. Unless, this is only Sunee Plaza or GayRomeo. It was my understanding that 1,000 baht is the bare minimum for any short time stay. Am I incorrect?

Plus, I think there was a meeting a few months back and all agreed that 1500 was now the minimum tip for all areas of Thailand. I was at that meeting but I admit to having a boy give me a foot massage while everyone was speaking so I might have missed the vote. :)

GT,

While I have put my Flak jacket on...maybe I need body armor :unsure:

Flakjacket.jpg

I will leave it to others to say, but here in Pattaya,

the rates I quoted:

500-700 Short time; 1,000-1,200 longtime/overnight... are and have been the going range for tips for the past several years.

I have gathered this from chats on the beach, in Sunee, and among retired expats who live in Thailand year-round.

I cannot speak for Bangkok nor other areas of Thailand.

While I do not invite Thais to join me often, when I have, I have tipped as above - always have been accepted with thanks.

Many retired expats also have their own Thai friends (regulars) who they have met over time and they arrange for visits and do tip per above range as well. Many times this is mutually scheduled during the afternoon, after work hours, or on days off.

tj

Guest Astrrro

I am in a relationship so am not the most knowledgeable guy in this arena but from talking to many expats it seems 500 baht is generally the lower bound for shorttime rates.

BUT, I also know situations where the shortime waws free and also know a situation where the longtime price was 300 and the next time only 200.

I am not suggesting that tourists should be cheap with the boys. OTOH, if a boy is going to go home without money and an expat will go home alone too if the price is more than 500 baht then it seems to me it is a win win.

Some people enjoy being generous, it is part of their experience. Most guys want to pay the normal going rate. Some enjoy paying slightly more than normal while others prefer to pay less if they can.

I understand that our beautiful Thai boys are not same same as Western rent boys but most people don't want to overpay rent boys.

IMHO the best thing to do is pay what YOU think is fair and in most cases the boy will be amenable and sometimes downright thrilled.

It is my experience that it is the farang (as in I was at a meeting discussing what the rate should be) that sets the rate and then posts that the rate is now XXX.

When someone say "Cheap Charlie" to those that pay what they negotiate with the boy if the rate is below a certain amount. Let me give an example.

I was at a food court recently just relaxing. A Thia guy walked by and I just nodded "hello". I had no intent on taking anyone nor was I there looking for someone. The boy circled back and said "I go with you", to which I replied "No Thank you, I just sitting". So he sat down(???). I said "No time", "Not want". He said ok, "I sit and talk to you". I then said "you want water?" He said, " No Thank you. I just eat".

After the necessary questions: What your name, where you from..", I said "I think I go now". He said, "can I go with you". I said "Can not, No money". He said, "how much you have?" I pulled out my money to show him that I really had only a few hundred baht with me.

He saw I had 300 baht and said, "I go short with you 300 baht ok". I said to him, "I want to but 300 baht not enough, sorry." He said, "Enough"

He was a fairly good looking guy (compared to me, gorgeous), and since I had a unit I rent out that was vacant across the street from where we were I said "Ok, short time".

I found no problem giving just 300 baht. Yes I know ATM machines abound, but I have decided to cut back because of where the baht is. It was his choice and others might have handled it differently. But I have a feeling many farangs are sitting on their wallets a bit more right now, so many boys are getting nothing at all.

How do they live when many of us are watching our budgets? They know that not as much money is coming their way, so they are happier with something than nothing.

Once again , we end up with the same thing , what is a fair price for long and short tim. I will just say i tend to pay between 1000, and 1200 for short time, and if i have a boy long time ie a few days or more , then its 1000 up plus of course food and drink and some shopping, but then some of you might say im being tight fisted with my tips, but im retired now, and cash is in short supply

My experience is that some do understand, some don't and some don't care. I am dealing with my bf who I promised a fixed allowance, but that was when the rate was 40 Baht to the USD. Now it is costing me significantly more to keep my promise. His costs are still the same and does not understand that it is costing me much more. But then, all farang are rich. At one time I would not think of lowing my "tip" for services provided by bar boys, etc but now I am reconsidering that.

I think kokopelli's post puts forth good points. Maybe because I struggled with this situation also with my BF. It was difficult for him to understand also, which lead to a good business lesson.

There is a good software program called YNAB (You Need A Budget). It is not a checkbook program but a budgeting program and simple to use.

He and I sat down together and did a budget. Since the program can be in baht it was simple for us. We took the amount I have sent to Thailand from my pension each month and converted it with a calculator to baht. This is our money in each month.

After entering that, I just asked him (since he pays the bills), How much electric, how much your truck payment, how much water, how much insurance, etc. We estimated groceries for the house because he usually goes shopping with me a few times each week. We entered all of that into budget categories. Then put in his allowance. This let him see how much was left for me to spend on ME each month.

Then we left the budget in tack, did not change any category, except for the amount we "USE TO" get in. When the program showed the remaining amount his eyes got wide and he said that he sees that today there is a big difference.

He studied it a bit and said, "You need to make more money!"

I looked at him and said, "I am retired, how can i do that?" He looked at me like I was ting tong, and said, "Give me a smaller allowance!" With a little tear, in one of my eyes, I looked at him and said, "I love you." He looked at me and said, "Bah, I go feed the dogs now".

What a guy!

Guest lvdkeyes

Whatever amount is agreed upon before the encounter is OK, no matter what that amount is. Since this boy was keen to go and knew he would get only 300 baht, I see no reason to give more. However, I would never make an offer of only 300 baht.

Guest beachlover

Do the bar boys know about the farang falling exchange rates, and how much more its costing to take off a boy or are they still asking for the normal rate. I was last in PATTAYA in march , when i was paying 1500 bht short time , the

Guest fountainhall

I have usually argued that the 'unofficial' minimum tip levels should be respected. But I spent a week in Pattaya in February with an old friend visiting from Sydney. On his last night, he wanted to pop into Euroboys. Only for a quick drink, he explained. Since he was running out of cash, he would not 'off' anyone. Of course, he found a boy he adored and then was in a pickle. I offered to lend him some cash, but he decided just to tell the boy the truth - that he'd love to 'off' him but the only cash he had would mean a tip of just Bt. 400. He did not expect the boy to accept. Perhaps because it was late and there would be no more chances of an off that night, he agreed! And so off they went!

I suppose that only proves that you can try and negotiate. But I'm glad he explained it all it beforehand.