TotallyOz

Eight months after launch, the iPad's finally on sale in Thailand

Though most Apple fanatics in Thailand already have their hands on the iPad thanks to the widely known "gray market" or overseas shopping trips, as of today the popular tablet is now officially on sale in Apple stores nationwide. So what if the iPad is only hitting Apple shelves here eight months after it was first launched in the United States. It's the perfect gift to surprise dad with on Father's Day this Sunday.

Prices for the iPad are as follows:

iPad with WiFi: 16GB -- Bt15,900, 32GB

I've been reading a lot about the differences between the iPad and the new version of the Airbook. Seems to me that if you need to do some serious computing, then you have to have the airbook even tho it is a lot more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for having an iPad as well? Just curious.

I've been reading a lot about the differences between the iPad and the new version of the Airbook. Seems to me that if you need to do some serious computing, then you have to have the airbook even tho it is a lot more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for having an iPad as well? Just curious.

If you have the new Airbook, you don't really need the IPad. But, the IPad is more of a fun gadget and not a complete computer replacement. I can use it to do everything I want on the Internet but it has limitations that laptops don't have. If you are a traveler, it is also very handy and the 3G works fantastic in 1st World countries.

I've been reading a lot about the differences between a small electric grill and the new 6 burner Webber gas bar-b-q. Seems to me that if you need to do some serious cooking, then you have to have the Webber even tho it is a lot more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for having a small electric grill as well? Just curious.

I've also been reading a lot about the differences between the BMW 2-door M3 sports coupe and the new BMW 7 Series sedan. Seems to me that if you need to be chauffeured around, then you have to have the 7 series even tho it is a lot more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for having a coupe as well? Just as curious.

you don't see these type of questions very often in forums, so what is it about the basic marketing concept that companies target different items to address different consumer requirements that is so much more difficult to understand in the tech world?

if you like the BMW brand and philosophy and you need a car then they offer 1,3,5,7 series as coupe, sedan or special models - what are your requirements and which model best suites your requirements

if you like the Apple brand and philosophy and you need a portable device then they offer iPod, iPhone, iPad and Airbook - what are your requirements and which model best suites your requirements - is it really that different or that hard?

conversely, if you need a car then BM and Benz are used as taxis in Germany because of their long term reliability, they are both considered luxury cars in Australia and the nouveau riche in Thailand would buy a Benz as soon as they could get the loan but wouldn't look at a BWM, similarly an Apple fanboi would never consider a Samsung Galaxy Tablet a serious competitor to the iPad - brand cache in a market segment is brand cache!

is the tech market really that different to other markets? is "reading a lot" in the tech media that different to "reading a lot" in the motoring or household appliance media in that it seriously fails to clarify the key differences between the iPad and the AirBook and/or somehow clouds your ability to identify your needs and select a device that meets them? Really curious!

bkkguy

Guest beachlover

I've been reading about the differences between a new Daiken 4-outlet, 2-compressor, $6,000 air conditioning system and the poxy little $40 electric fan sitting on my desk (old air con's packed it in). Seems to me if it's stinking hot and you want to feel cool and comfortable you really have to have the Daiken even though it's 150 times more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for keeping the fan too? Just curious.

what are your requirements and which model best suites your requirements - is it really that different or that hard?

If it had been easy, do you think I would have asked the question and set myself up for your put down?

The fact is, although I have been using computers for a couple of decades, I basically do not understand them. period! Sure, I can do the basics. But not much more. Even with my iPod Touch, I barely scrape the surface of what it can do. I'm computer-challenged. I guess it's rather like being dyslexic with words. So I appreciate any sensible advice posters can provide. Thank you.

So I appreciate any sensible advice posters can provide. Thank you.

I'll try. The IPad is amazing for the Internet, e-mail, games and all the apps that Apple sells on the store. I love being able to synch with my computer for the browser and for my database program I use, Bento and Omni Focus. If you have a Mac and have apps already, they all transfer over to the IPad.

I have said before, it is not a full laptop replacement YET. But, it is pretty damn close!

To Z909 and others.

I doubt your notebook folds to similar size and if it does, it is 3x as thick and at least 2.5 times as heavy. But if you need your computer for things other then web browsing, emails and need computing power then the Ipad will not replace the Notebook.

However if you want to connect easily to Itunes for all their apps, movies, tv shows and music then your notebook has no chance in competing. If you want to be able to read any newspaper in the proper form from USA to the Wall Street Journal then no notebook will compete.

And if you want to download books and read them in a style just like the book with diagrams , photos and color again there is no competition.

If I owned the Airbook, I might not get an Ipad but if I had a Mac Book etc they I would definitely Have an Ipad and I do. The Ipad is what I travel with. It suits my needs and I never have to deal with the idiots at TSA in taking it out and putting it in the tray.

It stays in my bag .

So I appreciate any sensible advice posters can provide.

you claim to have already read extensively but give no idea of what was not sensible about what you have already read, you give no idea of what your requirements are but you expect us to give you sensible advice as to whether the iPad will suit you or not, you bitch and moan about being put down and retreat behind claiming to be computer dyslexic but perhaps posting a sensible question would get you some sensible replies!

bkkguy

perhaps posting a sensible question would get you some sensible replies!

Well, what has set you off, bkkguy? My comment and question, let me remind you, was "Seems to me that if you need to do some serious computing, then you have to have the airbook even tho it is a lot more expensive. In that case, is there any reason for having an iPad as well?" It's that simple.

Thanks to Gaythailand and firecat, I have a better idea and I thank them. You could have provided a one-word answer if you wished to reply at all, but you preferred to criticise rather than help. That's entirely your issue and I'm sure other posters have noted it.

Guest beachlover
and I'm sure other posters have noted it.

*BLINK*... Oh! I just had a deja vu! :p

I just don't get the I-pad.

My Netbook folds down to a smaller size, so is more useful for travel. AND it has a useable keyboard.

Unless you have one of the Sony P-series devices (not classed as a Netbook), I doubt your netbook is smaller and lighter.

Netbook's cheaper and more capable in terms of functionality but iPad's sexier, fun to use, less clunky, don't have to wait for start up or shut down and more casual/enjoyable to use (kind of like you mobile phone) when it comes to looking at photos or light browsing/reading. But if you have to output a lot of stuff (e.g. 100 e-mails/day), the iPad's lack of keyboard makes it impractical.

In that case, is there any reason for having an iPad as well [as a laptop/Mac Air]

Yes. If you're just sitting on the couch having a quick browse or reading online stuff you'll enjoy using an iPad over the laptop (which you'll go to when you have some more serious work to do). You're also more likely to carry your iPad around, like you'd carry a novel or newspaper to a cafe to read, sitting in an airport, waiting for the train or something... really nice for showing people photos too. For more casual stuff like that, your laptop is a bit too clunky.

perhaps posting a sensible question would get you some sensible replies!

Geez... relax! I had fun with the joke, but to be honest, I don't think that's very fair to go this far with telling him to be sensible or to ask intelligent questions. He might be technologically inept so basic assumed knowledge you and I take for granted might be completely new to him. In a different situation you might feel the same, have no idea where to start and end up asking a question like "what stocks should I buy" or "what's the best way to get my product from A to B" which a professional would call "a stupid question"...

Guest fountainhall

The Wall Street Journal is reporting a new enhanced version of the iPad is expected to be out relatively soon.

Apple has begun to make a new version of its iPad tablet computer with a front-facing camera and faster processor, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

The new iPad will be thinner and lighter than the first model and sport a more powerful graphics processor, the Journal said.

It will have at least one camera on its front for features such as video conferencing, and will also have more memory, according to the paper,

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/09/us-apple-ipad-idUSTRE7180WE20110209

I'm in the same boat as PeterRS above. I've been using computers for decades but they are still a mystery to me. I've been considering buying a tablet but confused. Here are a couple questions I have about the Ipad.

1. I've got tons of movies on a portable hard drive I've downloaded from the net. They are AVI, Mpeg, and some other formats - but none are in an Apple format. Is there any way to view them or even transfer them to the Ipad since it doesn't have a USB port (although there is a device available which plugs into the Ipad and has a USB thingy on the other end). Will my movies play on the Ipad?

2. In order to use an Ipad, do I have to subscribe to a service in Thailand? If so, how much does it cost?

3. I know Thailand has a form of 3G now (or at least I think it does) but will it work on an Ipad and how much does it cost?

4. To access the internet with an Ipad am I limited to locations which have Wifi access in Thailand?

5. Is the lack of Flash a serious problem for web browsing?

6. Will the programs which currently exist on my Windows based computer work on the Apple based Ipad or do I have to start all over again and purchase applications like hotmail, Microsoft Word, Yahoo Messenger, etc.?

7. And finally, how do you think the Ipad stack up against the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Xoom, or the soon to arrive Hewlet Packard offering?

Answers to any of these questions would really help me.

1. I've got tons of movies on a portable hard drive I've downloaded from the net. They are AVI, Mpeg, and some other formats - but none are in an Apple format. Is there any way to view them or even transfer them to the Ipad since it doesn't have a USB port (although there is a device available which plugs into the Ipad and has a USB thingy on the other end). Will my movies play on the Ipad?

there are a number of cheap video converter programs ($20-$50) that will convert just about any movie to an iPad compatible format and they require little technical knowledge to use

to move the movies on to the iPad (if you have enough space) you will need the USB thingy or a file transfer utility that will work over Wi-Fi, the USB thingy may also allow you to play the movies off the external USB hard disk directly - but you would need to confirm that with an iPad owner

(I am deliberately being non-technical here but can be more specific if you require)

2. In order to use an Ipad, do I have to subscribe to a service in Thailand? If so, how much does it cost?

if you want to access the Internet you need to subscribe to a data plan in Thailand or roam on a data plan from your home country (very expensive), if all you want to do is watch movies you already etc have then no

true move offers an "unlimited" GPRS/EDGE/WiFi/3G plan (some conditions apply) for 650 Baht a month, 3G coverage is marketed as "under development" but coverage in many areas in Bangkok and Pattaya/Jomtien is fairly good with speeds of 1-3 Mb/s - this is a 850Mhz network which I think the iPads sold here support

3. I know Thailand has a form of 3G now (or at least I think it does) but will it work on an Ipad and how much does it cost?

true, dtac and tot (and tot resellers) currently offer limited 3G on 850 MHz networks, true has wider coverage, ais has very limited coverage on 900 MHz; all new networks will be 2100 MHz and should be available sometime in the next 10 years!

I think the iPads sold here support 850 and 21000 MHz so should work with existing (except AIS?) and new 3G networks in Thailand

4. To access the internet with an Ipad am I limited to locations which have Wifi access in Thailand?

if you buy a Wi-Fi only iPad then yes, if you buy a Wi-Fi and 3G iPad then no

you could also buy a Mi-Fi (about 5,000 Baht from iFox or true in Thailand) and put your 3G SIM in that and connect your Wi-Fi only iPad to your Mi-Fi

5. Is the lack of Flash a serious problem for web browsing?

you will not be able to see a lot of the ads on many sites (such a disappointment!), but many sites (eg youtube) offer flash alternatives automatically when you access with an iPad, it may be a "serious" problem for some sites but it depends on the type of sites you usually view

6. Will the programs which currently exist on my Windows based computer work on the Apple based Ipad or do I have to start all over again and purchase applications like hotmail, Microsoft Word, Yahoo Messenger, etc.?

hotmail is accessed via a web browser so should work with the Safari browser on the iPad or there should be a free or cheap app to access your hotmail account

Word will not run on the iPad but there should be a free or cheap app to open or edit Word or Excel etc documents on the iPad (but the iPad is not really meant to replace you desktop so do you really need this?)

similarly there should be a free or cheap app to access Yahoo Messenger on the iPad

7. And finally, how do you think the Ipad stack up against the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Xoom, or the soon to arrive Hewlet Packard offering?

the Galaxy Tab and Xoom (Android Fryo and Honeycomb based devices) show up some of the limitations of the iPad but are not priced competitively enough, but the second generation iPad coming soon will address some of these issues, the HP offering has a lot to prove because it it webOS based, but there will be many Android based and other devices out in the next year that may or may nor give the iPad a scare

to some extent the decision is philosophical - if you like Apple's "walled garden" approach you will always choose the iPad, if you want more flexibility you will choose an Android device, if you are a Windows or webOS fan you will choose you will chose a device supporting this!

Micheal and a few others here actually have and use iPads here in Thailand so they should be able to provide more specific information

bkkguy

I agree with most of what BKKguy said. I downloaded Apple's Word software called Pages and it opens all my word documents perfectly.

I have found nothing that doesn't work well. I have movies on it that I converted to avi and they play perfectly.

I have not checked out the IPad's competitors as I love my IPad and would not want another one. I have a great deal of money invested in apps for my IPad and thus, Apple has me hooked. I could not easily go to another device.

Everything for me works great. But, Rich, if you want to try mine, let me know and you can come over one day and play with it and see how you like it surfing the Internet, etc.