Guest fountainhall

Gay Stigma in One Profession Finally being Removed?

Guest fountainhall

The world of classical music is usually regarded as something of a ‘straight’ hangout. Very few musicians are openly gay, it seems, even though some are known in the business to be so. Recently in Thailand we had the case of the Russian conductor who is gay, although this was not generally known to the public. French pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet has never hidden his sexuality, and neither has British pianist Stephen Hough, who once had a recital in Hanoi cancelled when it became known to the government that he was gay.

Now one musician has really shaken things up. Canadian conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin was recently appointed as Music Director of one of the ‘Big Five’ US orchestras, The Philadelphia Orchestra. (The others are the Chicago, New York, Boston and Cleveland orchestras). He follows in the distinguished footsteps of Leopold Stokowski (remember Fantasia?) and Eugene Ormandy as the guardian of the famous lush “Philadelphia Sound”. Not only is 35-year old Nézet-Séguin one of the younger whiz-kids of the podium, he happens to be openly gay. His partner is an orchestra musician in his hometown of Montreal.

Perhaps Philadelphia’s demonstration of disregard for sexual orientation may finally open the way, not only to persuade some other musicians to come out of the closet, but also to finally do away with the gay stigma in what is a major worldwide profession.

http://www.towleroad.com/yannick-nézet-séguin/

Then there's also James Levine of the Met, and Michael Tilson Thomas of the San Francisco Symphony. Not among the major '5', but still rather significant.

When I lived in NYC, I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions and have always been a fan of James Levine. He is a truly amazing man!

Guest fountainhall

I think most people regard the Met orchestra as one of the top half dozen in the world, but as it plays mostly "in the pit", it unfortunately is not recognised as a symphony orchestra. And it is in that exalted position because Levine has made it so great in his 40 years at the Met.

I should certainly have mentioned Tilson Thomas, but James Levine has, I think, never mentioned his sexual orientation, despite a huge amount of gossip. A bit like the late Leonard Bernstein whose inner circle all knew of his being bisexual - if not 99% gay. He always surrounded himself with the most handsome assistants, and when performing in Tokyo was a regular at a couple of the Shinjuku ni-chome gay bars! Yet when his official biography was published after his death, his estate fought successfully to keep out any hint of young men. Nézet-Séguin on the other hand is gay and proud of it.

I think most people regard the Met orchestra as one of the top half dozen in the world, but as it plays mostly "in the pit", it unfortunately is not recognised as a symphony orchestra.

Speaking from the standpoint of being a professional musician myself, I'll say that this is perhaps technically correct with respect to nomenclature, but that is as far as I would want to go in agreement. I would further reference that Levine is a symphony conductor, having held various posts around the globe and currently serving as Music Director of the Boston Symphony.

Guest fountainhall

I'll say that this is perhaps technically correct with respect to nomenclature, but that is as far as I would want to go in agreement.

I was going to justify my exclusion of the Met orchestra by adding it is not usually included in the polls of great symphony orchestras, even though it does give regular concerts from time to time, whereas Boston is. I try to keep up to date in what is going on in the music business as I have had an interest since I started piano lessons at the age of 6. So I looked back at my Gramophone magazines and noted that not only is the Met Orchestra in the latest list of the 20 best orchestras in the world (it is ranked 18th), it is joined by another 'pit' orchestra - the Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra - better known to most of us as the old Kirov Orchestra (14th)

It also includes two orchestras which play for both opera and concerts - the Vienna Philharmonic (3rd) and the Dresden Staatskapelle (10th). So I was quite wrong! Looking again at the list, I was surprised that London's Royal Opera House orchestra is not on the list, nor even the Orchestra of La Scala Milan which I have heard play stunningly on tour in Tokyo and Hong Kong.

I agree also about Levine being an extremely fine symphony conductor. But I think I am probably correct in saying that despite his symphony positions in the US and Europe, he is better known to most people for his opera work.