Guest lonelywombat

Rob Astbury to leave thailand for OZ Gold Coast

Guest lonelywombat

Australia's largest daily newspaper today printed details of the planned departure of one of the driving forces behind the View Talay condos.

It is not included on their website so I cannot give a link .It reads like a press release so other major sunday papers are also likely to carry the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once football newsbreaker and later super real estate salesman, Rob Astbury has left his property development position in Pattaya, Thailand and will return to Australia on Jan 29 to restart his life.

At 63 Astbury is arranging for his yet unpublished autobography Twice as Hard to be available on the internet. His last book The King and I about his relationship with Graham Kennedy, bought criticism down on him.

Astbury who won 10 AFL / VFL media awards said he would be based at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast , where he once led the real estate sales figures.

He gave no clue whether he would return to the property scene or again seek a position with the media.

copied from Scot Palmers Punchlines. Heraldsun Melbourne 16 jan 2011

Is (was) he selling units in Ocean 1?

Rob is a lovely man and has worked tirelessly to help make Pattaya properties one of the most successful Real Estate Companies in the Thailand, he has turned around a Company that was failing to hit the mark with quality of sales, in a business that is flawed with Problems, he was the face you could trust and the person you went to get things done,

I must say Rob has been one of my best friends for many years, even though to start with we did not see eye to eye, if you read his latest book "TWICE AS HARD" to which is going to be sold over the internet on E Books as he does not have the time Now as with his other best selling Books, to do the rounds for a full Book signing and TV Publicity tour, now he is going to start Up again in Real estate in Queensland where he was the Gold Media Winner many years ago selling the Most Properties in Australia, this is not the first big position he has held, he was also the highest paid Sports Anchor for Kerry Packers Channel 10 Multimedia Group with earning in excess of over $5 million a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55ohmPhF9o&feature=related

If you do get a chance to read his amazing new book "Twice as Hard", he is going to sell via EBooks you will be able to read about his wonderful life in Thailand and many of the characters he met here including yours truly it's a must read. .

http://www.robastbur...essrelease.html

As for OCEAN 1 The Largest Residential Building to be built in the World which Includes a Luxury Shopping Mall it would not be right for me to announce future developments here, that I have been told in confidence, but I can tell you amazing things are going to happen there in the near future when the markets turns and apartments are still selling even now.

http://www.pattayama...m/487/who.shtml

A message from Rob to you all:-

http://www.thepotent...bury-letter.pdf

Good luck my dear friend, see you soon I hope, as now you can pop back if and when you want to or when I'm visiting Australia. :)

What a Handsome Man then,

And still Handsome even now.

http://www.robastbury.com/album.html

As for OCEAN 1 The Largest Residential Building to be built in the World which Includes a Luxury Shopping Mall it would not be right for me to announce future developments here, that I have been told in confidence, but I can tell you amazing things are going to happen there in the near future when the markets turns and apartments are still selling even now.

Good luck to Mr. Astbury wherever he goes and whatever he does.

As concerns Ocean 1, it's difficult for me to believe anybody would have the sheer balls to hawk let alone sell anything that doesn't exist. In spite of prior "scooped" announcements, it remains at best (presuming this is even owned) a piece of flat ground and wouldn't be finished for years after the first shovelful of soil has been turned over (if that should ever occur).

Nothing is ever Built in Thailand until at least half the Building is sold, and who are we to speculate on what the future is for any Property Company in this down turn, until the US Markets start to grow and there are many more jobs filled, even though the Asian markets are still Buoyant, I would not think any Property Companies would give the Go Ahead to Build for this breathtaking high-rise as it will be the mega darling of Pattaya, with the City Fathers only wanting it built, when they all know it's going to be a big Success, as they all have a big Interest in it being a World Leader, can you Imagine the Kudos Thailand and Pattaya would have, when it is built, even if it may not be by the Company that originally owned the project.

Nothing is ever Built in Thailand until at least half the Building is sold

And anyone who buys into a place that is not at least half built is a moron. Sorry, but this is the truth. I would not be interested in putting money into anything in any building in LOS that is not in the works. And, by in the works, I mean I can see progress. I have nothing against Ocean 1 and I would consider it as an future home but not until I see it shooting up over the ocean. To do otherwise, would be foolish.

I realize that this may put me at odds with those that get in early to make money. But, I am not looking to make money and flip anything I am looking for a place to call home. The closest thing I have found is View Talay 6 in Central Pattaya. But, they still have room in front of this by the water and with the shady history of that company, I would not want to buy a nice corner unit and then find out they were going to build another one of their buildings right in front. Do I think that is possible? Yes I do.

The only other property I was ever interested in was the one in Jomtien that they may (most doubt it) have the top 14 floors knocked off. Was it an illegal build? I don't know but I'll be dammed if I would put money into any of these places with the uncertainty. It is like the Wild West of condos here in Pattaya. I don't like those kinds of deals. So, I prefer to sit my ass at home and rent until Thailand establishes enough laws to protect those that invest and learn to actually enforce the laws they have.

Nothing is ever Built in Thailand until at least half the Building is sold.........this breathtaking high-rise..... it will be the mega darling of Pattaya........they all know it's going to be a big Success......

For Christ's sake, it sounds like an Amway dealer on crystal meth.

No foundation has been started (in spite of the 2006 and 2007 assurances of those that touted it before) and I am doubtful that there is any planned beginning. And what will it take, maybe 4-6 years to finish it once somebody starts on the foundation (the foundation alone will likely take more than 1 year).

Given the history here (assurances followed by nothing), anybody that would put down a deposit until it's substantially started and you see some reasonable proof that they have the money to finish it (and you're satisfied that it will be well-maintained - which is a gamble in itself) has to be an absolute fool. And, even if you choose to make that leap, you better make sure you're deposit money is protected just in case history repeats itself.

In my opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it), this planned building was more about somebody's ego than anything that ever made any economic sense from the beginning.

[None of this is aimed at Mr. Astbury as it isn't his problem].

and with the shady history of that company

I am shocked, really shocked, that someone would make such a scandalous and libelous comment in a public forum about such a pillar of Pattaya expat society and a company that is so respected by the community and many posters here - this is why people need lawyers on a hair-trigger scanning the forums, to protect their reputation!

as I am sure HeyGay and others will be quick to point out very few of the court cases the company has been involved in have found against them, and those have been overturned on appeal - thus confirming their impeccable reputation as a Thai business entity!

bkkguy

I can't tell you haw many people that have been duped by investing in real estate. This is especially true in Thailand. If you are going to invest in a property make sure that the property is built first. All those lavish claims about property appreciation and what a great investment this will be/is, etc. are strictly speculation. Don't be fooled by a salesperson's slick presentation.

Many people have been hit by a bus and the Number one most dangerous place to be, is on a boat where you can have the best chance to have an accident

This does not mean nobody travels on them though, if you thought like you no one would cross the road.

Umm If you can show me where this Company has ever been sued for Improper practices, I would be very surprise, I'm sorry I don't take notice of People with an axe to grind and secret agendas, Im so use to those phonies myself?

But one thing this Company is well known for and thats finding people who make forse acusations about them and suing the pants off them, as some one called GLORIA did once and had to pay a fortune in the Thai Courts.

Umm If you can show me where this Company has ever been sued for Improper practices, I would be very surprise, I'm sorry I don't take notice of People with an axe to grind and secret agendas, Im so use to those phonies myself?

I think the quote you were referring to was about the company who built the View Talay I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII on the Jomtien Beach. I think (never a good thing) that we are using this tread to talk about 2 different things. The overall theme is Real Estate and there is one line of thought about Ocean 1 and there is another theme that is talking about View Talay. I brought up the View Talay on the beach as they are building right in front of their own properties. I think this is outrageous. And, as I live in VT6, I have no doubt that once they sell all the condos here, they will try to build right in front of it.

I think the quote you were referring to was about the company who built the View Talay I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII on the Jomtien Beach. I think (never a good thing) that we are using this tread to talk about 2 different things. The overall theme is Real Estate and there is one line of thought about Ocean 1 and there is another theme that is talking about View Talay. I brought up the View Talay on the beach as they are building right in front of their own properties. I think this is outrageous. And, as I live in VT6, I have no doubt that once they sell all the condos here, they will try to build right in front of it.

I agree whole heartedly . Anyone who buys a View Talay property because of the view is an idiot unless there is nothing but water in front of the property.. If there is a 50 foot strip of land left they will find a way to put something on it.

As far as them not being sued . This is Thailand, not the USA. Big corporations are protected by the corruption of the governing bodies. Taking them to court is not easy and Thailand knows nothing about Class Action Suits.

I wish I could just have 1% of the money that was deposited on buildings that were never built and the money was never returned.

I could build my own Ocean One. In the last 20 years I have looked at many proposed properties at their inception. Many were never built and the ones that were the price for the units when completed was almost always less then the supposed ground floor prices offered!!!!

Guest fountainhall

I brought up the View Talay on the beach as they are building right in front of their own properties. I think this is outrageous.

Welcome to the world of property developers! In Hong Kong I rented (thankfully could not afford to buy) a small top floor apartment. This overlooked a bay with a glorious view over to the islands to the west and great sunsets. It was high up off the beach and the lower part had already been developed. There was no more development possible - I thought. Mistake! After a few great years they decided to fill in the bay and develop that!

" ... In spite of prior "scooped" announcements, it remains at best (presuming this is even owned) a piece of flat ground and wouldn't be finished for years after the first shovelful of soil has been turned over (if that should ever occur) ... "

Mr Asbury is retiring from Thailand: good luck and good for him ... for whatever are his reasons.

But Bob is absolutely correct: the site of Ocean 1 is an almost-vacant lot, home to a small cement facility which is supplying it's product to other developments, but not the Tallest Condo in Pattaya. There is not as much as an ant nest dug on the rest of the site, nor even a pretence of activity, nor as much as a cornerstone.

These shots taken last March, but the joint still looks exactly the same.

Jomtien034.jpg

Jomtien035.jpg

Mr Asbury is retiring from Thailand: good luck and good for him ... for whatever are his reasons. But Bob is absolutely correct: the site of Ocean 1 is an almost-vacant lot,
Come on Smiles! get real!, would you Build in this atmosphere of Financial Down turn, of course not all be raveled in due course and you will be very surprised in deed, you see and remember who told you, I know how you like me to eat my words, now may be the time, but I don't think so, from what I have been told?

HeyGey, I have a bridge to sell you.....please put your deposit down today! I just know everybody will love it as it will just be so FAB!!! Now, I haven't started any construction but, trust me, we will someday! You betcha!

P.S. Anybody know of a river that needs to be spanned?

HeyGey, I have a bridge to sell you.....please put your deposit down today! I just know everybody will love it as it will just be so FAB!!! Now, I haven't started any construction but, trust me, we will someday! You betcha!

P.S. Anybody know of a river that needs to be spanned?

Wow I just can

Buying anything in Pattaya is not a wise investment. You don't know who will be living next to you in years to come.

All the appreciation that developers claim will come into being is just a part of their imagination.

If you want to live in Pattaya simply rent. You can do so very cheaply and move when the environment changes.

Why be stuck with a condo that you'll never sell at a profit? And when you do sell, how will you get that money

out of Thailand? Think about that one!

I would think that someone in their retirement years would not be leaving Thailand to start a new venture unless there were problems. That logic doesn't seem to make any sense.

Buying anything in Pattaya is not a wise investment. You don't know who will be living next to you in years to come.

All the appreciation that developers claim will come into being is just a part of their imagination.

If you want to live in Pattaya simply rent. You can do so very cheaply and move when the environment changes.

Why be stuck with a condo that you'll never sell at a profit? And when you do sell, how will you get that money

out of Thailand? Think about that one!

Great advice and it applies to everywhere in Thailand, and not just Pattaya.

Sorry to tell you the company that Built View Taly 1 to 7 is not the same Company who built the 10 million baht to 50 million baht homes that Pattaya Properties had anything to do with, starting with View Tally Villas. All over Pattaya, then this massive project that will be built in the not to distant future, sorry for any confusion on your part.