Guest fountainhall

More TRUE Gripes

Guest fountainhall

Since TRUE took over the cable/satellite network in Thailand, their revenues have clearly risen dramatically. Re-branding it from a farang English-dominated service to one more for Thais, obtaining the English Premier League Soccer rights, running Korean soap operas and popular shows, the huge success of the Academy Fantasia series with their product placement getting round the ban on advertising, the abandonment of some channels like BBC Entertainment on grounds of cost, and finally that ban on advertising being overturned a couple of years ago

Guest Patexpat

I dumped TRUE about 2 years ago for being over priced and poor quality - get all fix of TV via the internet and local cable (which these days even has Granada International for UK progs)

I really like True. There are several new channels, mostly in Thai. No problem there. It helps me practice my Thai, after all I am living here. I need all the practice with the Thai language I can get.

I dumped TRUE about 2 years ago for being over priced and poor quality

I share Patexpat's opinion. I too think it's overpriced and poor quality. Unlike Painai, I'm not watching television to practice Thai. I'm watching for the programming.

Obviously, since this is Thailand, the majority of the channels are for Thai programming. I have no objection to that, but the English language channels simply are not worth the price to me. The news channels are one thing, but as for the rest of them, the movie channels rarely show much of anything that interests me and most of the time they just run crappy movies over and over again - movies they obviously got at bargain basement prices. Sorry, but I can't see paying the equivalent of US$ 50 per month to watch re-runs of Shrek.

And how many times do you need to watch programs about animals or World War II history?

I'm going to start looking around for other companies. And if anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Guest fountainhall

get all fix of TV via the internet and local cable

Can you watch these on your TV or only on the computer screen?

I'm going to start looking around for other companies

I know you are in Phuket and the cable system seems to be different there. Anyone know if there there any other alternatives to TRUE in Bangkok?