Guest kjun12

Important question for me!

You don't get a 90 on arrival. That is for sure. You may get a single 60 day single entry that is extendable 30 days at a Thailand immigration office to make it a full 90. I think that is what Khor Tose was talking about.

Some embassies give a double entry, which makes it 180 days with one visa run. I am not sure if where you are going does that or not and they all change their policies from time to time.

You don't get a 90 on arrival. That is for sure. You may get a single 60 day single entry that is extendable 30 days at a Thailand immigration office to make it a full 90. I think that is what Khor Tose was talking about.

Some embassies give a double entry, which makes it 180 days with one visa run. I am not sure if where you are going does that or not and they all change their policies from time to time.

Beats me. That is not only the info I got off this site, but I was in Malaysia on o2/10/2011 and the stamp clearly says it is good for 90 days. Let me photo it for

post-391-039034300 1311512908.jpg

Guest fountainhall

I can remember there was a fuss some time ago when the rules seemed to change at the Penang Consulate. This site says you can get 90 days but only if you present a valid flight ticket out of region (not just Thailand). The info is a year old but I can find nothing to contradict it.

http://www.retirementthailand.info/thailand-tourist-visas-issued-in-penang-face-tighter-rules

Guest kjun12

That looks like a 90 day entry for Malaysia. Sorry, I thought the poster was asking for a visa to Thailand while he was in Malaysia.

:You are correct. That is what I am seeking: a 90 day visa for Thailand.

:You are correct. That is what I am seeking: a 90 day visa for Thailand.

You can ask for a Single Entry or Double (if they give it and you need it). A single entry gives you 60 days in Thailand. You then go to Immigration after 60 days and request and extension for 30 days. I think that costs 1900 baht.

That is what I have done for years and if you are US Citizen, I have not heard of a 90 day Visa other than the above.

However, if you have a 1 Year Multiple Entry Visa, you get 90 days upon each entry. I don't think the country you are going to will give it to you.

In order to get a 90 day stay, you would need a Non-Immigrant Visa (several are issued for specific purposes (e.g. B - business, Ed - Education, O - Other). There are specific qualifications for each type of Non-Immigrant Visa and will require documentation to support the reason for requesting this type visa -- e.g., letter from a Ministry of Education approved school enrolling you as a student for ED, copy of marriage certificate and wife's ID card (an O visa is issued for this category), work permit for B, etc. - Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website has information - specific requirements for the different types of visas can be found here. The Non-Immigrant Visa gets you a 90 day stay when you enter Thailand - the permission to stay can be extended up to one year providing you qualify under various categories (e.g., retirement, married to a Thai, employed with work permit, etc.).

Sometimes, the Tourist Visa is referred to as being for 90 days -- on entering Thailand you get a permitted stay of 60 days. A tourist visa permission to stay can be extended at a Thai Immigration Office for up to 30 more days.

Visa on Arrival -- applies to certain countries - period of stay depends on the country - generally does not apply to most western countries, e.g., USA, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada.

Visa Exempt -- Citizens of certain countries are exempt from having a visa - most citizens of western countries will get a 30 day permission to stay when arriving in Thailand at an airport (there is a requirement they have ticket for onward travel, but it is very rare for an Airport Immigration Officer to ask to see it) and 15 days at a land border (there is a requirement for having a certain amount of funds with you - more likely to be asked for evidence at a land border than the airport, but is seldom asked for). Citizens of some countries such as Mexico and, I think, Brazil are visa exempt and get a 90 day permission to stay because they offer reciprocal entry type requirements for Thais). A 30 day permission to stay can be extended for up to 7 days.

All extensions of stay require a fee of 1,900 Baht.

You can also apply for a multiple entry Non Immigrant Visa (visa is valid for one year and until it expires, you will get a permission to stay for 90 days every time you enter Thailand). There are also double and maybe triple entry Tourist Visas issued by some Thai Embassies/Consulates. The best place to get information on which Thai embassies/consulates issuing such visas at Thai Visa Forum - you can wade through the various posts or if you register (no fee for registering), you can post your question.

Guest fountainhall

Visa Exempt -- Citizens of certain countries are exempt from having a visa - most citizens of western countries will get a 30 day permission to stay when arriving in Thailand at an airport (there is a requirement they have ticket for onward travel, but it is very rare for an Airport Immigration Officer to ask to see it)

Please be very careful about this "ticket for onward travel" business. The Thai Immigration authorities may not request to see it, but certain airlines will NOT allow you to board a flight to Thailand unless you have shown an onward ticket at check-in. About 5 years ago before I started getting my one-year visas, I was almost denied check-in by both Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong and British Airways in Sydney. Both made a major fuss because I could not show an onward ticket out of Bangkok. In the event, I talked my way on to both flights, but it could easily have gone the other way.

I do not know about other airlines, but I do know there are quite a number of them. The reason for denying boarding is if you happen to be denied entry to Thailand as a result - (i) the airline will have to fly you back to your point of departure at their expense, and (ii) the airline has to pay the Thai authorities quite a hefty fine.