ChristianPFC

Do you think music in gogo bars is too loud?

Do you think music in gogo bars is too loud?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think music in gogo bars is too loud?

• yes
    • no
    • other

Do you think music in gogo bars is too loud? Music levels in gogo bars were discussed several times, and my impression always was that the vast majority of members think the music is too loud. But I'm biased because I think music is too loud in most gogo bars I visited. What do you think? This poll is not about a single bar, what's your opinion about the music level in gogo bars in general?

(Copied from SGT and gaybuttonthai, where I started this poll some days ago, but the results are not conclusive: SGT 1:1 and gaybuttonthai 8:1 in favor for too loud)

This could be another one of those polls where different people view the question in different ways.

To me, maybe 40% are too loud, 60% are OK and 0% are too quiet (well, after they have turned the music on).

On these percentages, I would vote YES the music is too loud, based on average sound level.

Others might vote no, as 60% are OK.

This could be another one of those polls where different people view the question in different ways.

To me, maybe 40% are too loud, 60% are OK and 0% are too quiet (well, after they have turned the music on).

On these percentages, I would vote YES the music is too loud, based on average sound level.

Others might vote no, as 60% are OK.

People could vote "other" and then explain their view in their post like you, z909, did

So far it seems the vote is overwhelmingly for TOO LOUD. If only the bar owners and the managers read the boards...would it make any difference???

I would hope so. Listening to the views of the customers is always good for business.

After all, why pay staff to try to drag customers in off the street, whilst at the same time the loud music is turning them away?

Listening to customers makes sense.

Guest anonone

I would hope so. Listening to the views of the customers is always good for business.

After all, why pay staff to try to drag customers in off the street, whilst at the same time the loud music is turning them away?

Listening to customers is fine, but you have to make sure all the customers are being heard from. I do not believe that the few of us active on this board is a representative sample of all the patrons of a gay gogo bar.

I have replied to several different posts lately about the "loud" music in gogo bars. I do not think the vast majority of them are too loud.

I want a party atmosphere at times, and loud music is a part of that vibe.

As I have mentioned before, different bars have a different feel. I know when I do not want loud music, Funny Boyz is a better choice. When I want a party vibe, more likely to head to WWB. There are other options for other tastes.

I think the last thing I would want is for all the bars to be the same vibe, same music level, same type of guys, etc.

Keep repeating..." variety and options for choice are good things"

Listening to customers is fine, but you have to make sure all the customers are being heard from. I do not believe that the few of us active on this board is a representative sample of all the patrons of a gay gogo bar.

I have replied to several different posts lately about the "loud" music in gogo bars. I do not think the vast majority of them are too loud.

I want a party atmosphere at times, and loud music is a part of that vibe.

As I have mentioned before, different bars have a different feel. I know when I do not want loud music, Funny Boyz is a better choice. When I want a party vibe, more likely to head to WWB. There are other options for other tastes.

I think the last thing I would want is for all the bars to be the same vibe, same music level, same type of guys, etc.

Keep repeating..." variety and options for choice are good things"

Yes, I too agree variety is good. Your point about Funny Boys and WWB is a good one. Do you have any idea which does better?

I have a friend that does not frequent Funny Boys and preferred WWB. It had nothing to do with the music though. He could find the type of boy he liked at WWB. However last week he told me he did not think he was going to be going back to WWB because the music is too loud. But as you said, for some the loudness of the music maybe a plus.

Guest fountainhall

I suppose the question then becomes: who are the customers? Anonone is spot on when he says, "I do not believe that the few of us active on this board is a representative sample of all the patrons of a gay gogo bar." We aren't! We know that of the relatively few active posters on this Board, many live overseas, only visiting Thailand occasionally. Those who do live here are not all frequent bar hoppers. I tend to visit the same one every couple of weeks or so, and only pop over to Soi Twilight once every 4 or 5 months. If I find the music overpowering, I just walk out and go somewhere else.

But I also suspect that, with a notable few exceptions, most of us are what used to be termed "of a certain age" - i.e. closer to our three-score-and-ten than our twenties. My own feelings about music in bars/discos/clubs has certainly changed over the years. Now I just don't like over-loud music. Then, it was just a fun part of the atmosphere. So when I read reports of all the Chinese and other nationalities that are sometimes to be seen in Soi Twilight, I assume that they are far more attracted by the Soi and what goes on in its establishments than they are concerned by the volume of the music.

So, as far as Bangkok at least is concerned, I frankly doubt if there really is any point in bar owners giving much weight to polls on this and other farang-oriented sites - unfortunately.

Guest anonone

Yes, I too agree variety is good. Your point about Funny Boys and WWB is a good one. Do you have any idea which does better?

I have a friend that does not frequent Funny Boys and preferred WWB. It had nothing to do with the music though. He could find the type of boy he liked at WWB. However last week he told me he did not think he was going to be going back to WWB because the music is too loud. But as you said, for some the loudness of the music maybe a plus.

I really like both Funny Boyz and WWB, along with many others. They all just have a different atmosphere.

WWB is my favorite bar to see the show. Good mix of songs and comedy, and I have a confirmed weakness for one of the show dancers. I have found plenty of attractive guys there on stage as well. It is my latest favorite when I want an upbeat, party place.

Funny Boyz has more of a lounge feel to it. Not really a "party" place, but has the BEST Mamasan of any bar I have been. During the early part of the night, it is a great place to begin the evenings festivities. I have always found a wide variety of guys here, almost all of them I would consider fine company for the evening. An exception may be if you are looking for a muscle guy. They also seem to have a large selection (many guys working and on stage) every time I visit. This is not someplace that will have only 6 guys on stage at anytime.

I will add that a typical night out for me is bar-hopping, so a real good chance I visit 10 or more bars, both gogo and host. I do not typically camp out at one place.

Guest thaiworthy

If I were in Boystown, Funny Boys would be my first choice. Every time I've been there, I've had a good time. There is always someone there who is very attractive. If I have them come and sit with me, I find they have attractive personalities as well. I am always treated with respect. I highly recommend Funny Boys, whether it is your first time in Thailand or if you are a regular visitor.

I agree Funnyboys is a very good bar, possibly my favourite ANYWHERE.

As for the issue of whether we are representative of the full customer, base, well for some of the less touristy locations like Sunee, I think we probably do represent a high proportion of the customer base.

Of course, Soi Duangthawee will have a more diverse customer base.

Of course a gogo just wouldn't work without any music. However, I would bet money that all the bars have to do is turn the music on at a comfortable level. After that, any increase in volume would lose them more customers than they gain.

The music should be at a level where it is easy to converse with people sat immediately next to you.

I suppose the question then becomes: who are the customers? Anonone is spot on when he says, "I do not believe that the few of us active on this board is a representative sample of all the patrons of a gay gogo bar." We aren't! We know that of the relatively few active posters on this Board, many live overseas, only visiting Thailand occasionally. Those who do live here are not all frequent bar hoppers. I tend to visit the same one every couple of weeks or so, and only pop over to Soi Twilight once every 4 or 5 months. If I find the music overpowering, I just walk out and go somewhere else.

You are right, the votes do not have equal weight, they should be weighted on how often the voter goes to bars.

But we have a clear majority for "too loud" here and on gaybuttonthai, whereas on SGT half of those who voted think the music is not too loud (but does this mean the music is "ok" or "not loud enough").

Anyway, my decision to enter a bar or not is based on the boys, not on the music. And I am prepared against loud music in bars and discos: I use earplugs.