Guest thaiworthy

RETIREMENT VISAS for Dummies

Guest thaiworthy

What came first, the chicken or the egg? That's a riddle not dissimilar to this crazy scenario of securing a retirement visa for a lawful, permanent length of stay in LOS. I know most of the steps, I am just confused about when to execute each one and where (within Thailand or in the USA before I leave).

I am planning to move to Bangkok permanently on Oct. 3 of this year. I have been asking friends and acquaintances what they did to secure a retirement visa and each one has a different story. I've done exhaustive research online, but it is still confusing. There are even differences between immigration offices, say Bangkok from Pattaya.

I have gone to the Thai Embassy here in Houston and secured a 90-day visa on two different occasions, just to get a bank account. That wasn't easy either because apparently you need a permanent address to do that. Bangkok Bank in Bangkok wouldn't cooperate, so finally the Pattaya City Expats club told me to go to the bank manager at Bangkok Bank in Pattaya and I used my boyfriend's address. Now I can go online, see the account and actually send funds to it using the ACH method. If there were no PCEC, I'd be up a creek, I guess.

Right now, all I have is a passport that expires in 2016. It has 7 blank pages in it and the picture doesn't even look like me any more, so I could probably get a new one. Right?

I understand that to get a retirement visa, you must first have a non-immigrant "O" or O-A" type visa. What are those and what's the difference between them? How do I get it? Do I get that in the US at the Embassy (just like the tourist visa I got before) or do I get that in Thailand? If I get it in Thailand, what happens then?

Then there's the one-way airline ticket I bought, leaving here Oct. 2. What do I need to present to the airline so they'll admit me on the plane without a fuss?

Some info says I need to retain my departure card that I am given on the plane just before arrival. It will be blank, because I am only planning to visit the US a few times a year for two weeks at a time and I don't know when that will be.

Then I'm told that if you apply for the retirement visa in the US it is more expensive to get tests done to prove you don't have certain diseases, and you'll need a police background check, too. I don't have the diseases they list and have a clean record. Can't I do this in Thailand after arrival?

I also understand that even if you have a retirement visa, that you must do the 90-day reporting thing as well. That is always on-going and the clock starts ticking the day you arrive, and apparently has nothing to do with what type of visa you have?

Then there's the option for multiple entry or not. I would rather have the multiply entry so I can visit my family twice a year in the USA. More money for that too, right? like 3400 baht. Ok, so fine.

Then there's the proof of income. At first I thought the 800,000 baht in bank method was fine, since apparently there's a 1900 baht charge if you use a different method. I have no idea what this charge is for. I want to use the monthly income method. Apparently I have to get a letter from the US embassy before I leave?

This whole thing is scaring me shitless. No wonder there are lawyers who do nothing else but baby-sit nervous wanna-be expats like myself, who can't seem to figure out sh*t from shine-ola.

I am worried that I will leave the US without having done something essential before arriving in Thailand. This is all so complicated, but I appear to have plenty of time until Oct. I just want the simplest method, even if it costs a little more. OK, so I am a dummy. But can someone please give a me step-by-step timeline of what I need to do and when? Or should I just call one of the lawyers at Sunbelt Asia waving a wad of thousand-baht bills and beg for mercy?

Thanks in advance.

I know nothing about retirement visas, but for the bank part I did manage to open a Kasikorn savings account armed with just my passport, a mobile phone number and a hotel address scribbled on a piece of paper (the word hotel obviously omitted).

The first branch turned me down, the second obliged.

as above: Kasikorn is always mentioned as being most easy to open bank and BKK-Bk the most difficult.

In fact I would rather advise you to go to proper forum on thaivisa.com- its so often asked there is likely in the FAQ there. There are so many responders, that even minor difference between consul A and B can be found.

Yes, you have been many times in TH so you must have noted that there are not really set 100% ''rules'' here (nor pricelists for services and all that)- there are indeed differences between embassies. consuls and countries. It may be baffling or bewildering, but thats how it goes. From what I know, you CAN arange the whole process to get that precious visa (provided you qualify for it-age, BANK account and money in it-which does at start not have to be a TH bank!-) in your homecountry. It will be easier if you have hold previous visa-as you do. But when setteld in TYH, you have to visit immigration to get it registered or so and thus finally taken up.

IF your capitals are not enough to qualify, then the next best option is the 3x90 day visa and ''visaruns'' in between.

Guest thaiworthy

My responses in red.

as above: Kasikorn is always mentioned as being most easy to open bank and BKK-Bk the most difficult. Yes, and I have one at BKK-Bk.

In fact I would rather advise you to go to proper forum on thaivisa.com- its so often asked there is likely in the FAQ there. There are so many responders, that even minor difference between consul A and B can be found. Been there, done that. But there are so many expats from all walks of life and from so many countries, none of which have a similar situation.

Yes, you have been many times in TH so you must have noted that there are not really set 100% ''rules'' here (nor pricelists for services and all that)- there are indeed differences between embassies. consuls and countries. (I did read on Thai Visa that the Houston embassy is the easiest to get things done-- lucky me!) It may be baffling or bewildering, but thats how it goes. From what I know, you CAN arange the whole process to get that precious visa (provided you qualify for it-age, BANK account and money in it-which does at start not have to be a TH bank!-) (good news for me) in your homecountry. It will be easier if you have hold previous visa-as you do. But when setteld in TYH, you have to visit immigration to get it registered or so and thus finally taken up. Yes, I agree.

IF your capitals are not enough to qualify, then the next best option is the 3x90 day visa and ''visaruns'' in between. Yes, everything comes together on my 62nd birthday in January, 2013. If push came to shove, I could make it happen earlier. But I'd rather not. Besides other factors (apart from money) are pushing the move to 3 months earlier than that. (Oct, 2012) On top of everything, you must have the funds intact in a bank account for at least 3 months prior to your application. So 3x90 day visa extensions are probably the best bet. I assume this means a short hop on a plane to Cambodia for each 90-day extension? If by land, isn't it different? If 3x90 day extensions are actually practical, I can manage that.

Thank you, Pong. I may not always understand you-- and you get my apologies for that! But you certainly do seem to understand me-- so you get my gratitude now as well!

This was very close to what i was looking for. Now I have to look into getting each of those 90-day extensions. If it's a short plane ride, I can investigate that now.

Here is some more information I just found, which was very helpful.

http://www.apply-tha...ement-visa.html

There is nothing complicated about getting a retirement visa and you don't need to be doing any of the things you're doing.

First, don't get the retirement visa until you are in Thailand. The procedure is far simpler once you are in Thailand. You don't need any visas at all. You just enter on the usual 30 day privilege.

You'll need the embassy's proof-of-income statement, a Thai bank account and updated passbook, proof of your residence address in Thailand, one passport photo, a filled out retirement visa application form which you can get at the immigration office, and 3800 baht. That's it. That's all you need. You don't need anything else.

For a first-time retirement visa, it's probably advisable to get your Thai bank's "letter for immigration." Banks charge 100 or 200 baht for it, depending on the bank. If you ask for "letter for immigration," your bank will know exactly what you mean and exactly what you want.

In addition, take the following with you when you apply for the visa:

1. copy of your most recent visa

2. copy of main passport page

3. copy of your bank passbook's main page

4. copy of your departure card

Armed with those items, they'll do everything right there, on the spot. 1900 baht to convert your 30-day privilege and another 1900 baht for the retirement visa.

It's very simple and I've personally witnessed it done that way twice.

Getting the retirement visa won't be any problem at all. Your problem is going to be trying to get your airline to let you board your flight with a one-way ticket, but no long-term visa. I would suggest first contacting your airline, explaining what you're trying to do, and see if you can get their permission to board your flight with a one-way ticket.

If you can't get their permission, then you have several options. You can spring for a round-trip ticket. You can buy a refundable round trip ticket and get your refund once you're in Thailand. You can buy a ticket out of Thailand to another country, such as Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, or Cambodia.

To answer your question about the departure card and the 90-day address report, when you arrive in Thailand and are going through customs, they'll staple your departure card into your passport. Never remove anything from your passport. Let them do that.

Yes, the clock starts ticking on the 90 day address report upon arrival in Thailand. For the 90 day address report, you need:

1. Photocopy of your passport face page

2. Photocopy of your most recent visa stamp

3. Photocopy of your departure card

4. Proof of home ownership, rental contract, or bill in your name showing your address

5. Your actual passport

The above is for Pattaya. 90 day address reports in Bangkok may be a little different. The different immigration offices all seem to have their own requirements.

When you go to the US embassy to get your proof-of-income statement, make sure you have an appointment. They won't take walk-ins anymore. You can make your appointment online at: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp

If you're getting "scared shitless" over this, you're wasting your energy. It isn't that difficult as GB notes.

However, I don't necessarily dismiss getting your retirement visa in the US before you leave as that'll at least afford you some peace of mind that you're seeking. And it's not that hard - although you do have to have a doctor fill out the medical clearance and get the police clearance from your local cops but those are actually easy to get too.

What I wouldn't do is just come here without a visa (i.e., just show up, get the standard 30-day permission to stay, and then attempt to go from there). You could just get the 90-day Non-Immigration O visa (although it might be called an "O-A if you get it in the states?). That gives you plenty of time to get your bank account in order here (if you plan on doing the 800k routine versus the embassy income certification). By the way, don't get the so-called Tourist Visa like I first did as you can't use that as a basis to get your one-year visa (how immigration handled that for me here was to cancel the Tourist Visa, issue a new Non-Immigrant O visa, and then give me the retirement visa).

As to why you've had problems in setting up a bank account over here is beyond me. I've had accounts for more than a decade....and they were set up when I was here on vacation under the 30-day routine (yes, the first branch of Bangkok Bank said I couldn't do it so I walked a few blocks to the next branch which handled it in a jiffy).

So quit fretting....it's simple. Either get the one-year (retirement) visa in the states this summer or, alternatively, get the Non-Immigrant O visa this summer and then take care of the retirement visa routine after you get here. It's easy if you just do it.

the first branch of Bangkok Bank said I couldn't do it so I walked a few blocks to the next branch which handled it in a jiffy

And that's an important point. We've posted about that many times in the past. If one bank branch doesn't give you the answer you were hoping to hear, just go to another branch of the same bank. Chances are very good you'll get a totally different answer. Welcome to Thailand . . .

Actually, on second thought I think Thaiworthy would be better off getting his retirement visa in the states, rather than waiting to get it in Thailand. Once he has his retirement visa, he shouldn't have any problems about coming to Thailand on a one-way ticket.

Actually, on second thought I think Thaiworthy would be better off getting his retirement visa in the states, rather than waiting to get it in Thailand. Once he has his retirement visa, he shouldn't have any problems about coming to Thailand on a one-way ticket.

I missed the point about Khun Thaiworthy coming here on a one-way ticket but, if that's the case, I join you in saying he ought to get the retirement visa in the US. With that in hand, no worries and he won't have to do anything at all other than show up to report his address 90 days after he arrives.

Plus, doing it that way avoids the cost and minor hassle of getting the Non-Immigrant O visa in the first place. Cheaper, easier, and affords the most peace of mind.

Guest thaiworthy

Update: after GB's first post I called Delta Airlines and got this all sorted out. I booked this ticket using frequent flier miles and apparently it costs just as many miles to go roundtrip as it does to go one-way. Thanks also to Kokopelli for bringing this to my attention.

Delta added a return flight for no additional miles. The $150 change fee was also waived. Perhaps because I'm an Elite member? I don't know. I just had to pay some extra taxes ($61.90) that I would have paid anyway. So this solves that problem. The return flight is over two months later, but since I won't be using it, I guess it doesn't matter.

I also found out the Proof-of-Income letter from my Embassy is good for a year, so I can get that now before I screw that up as well. I even found the affidavit form online. I can easily produce 3 months of bank statements, if required.

Many thanks to all. You're right, this really should be a no-brainer. Even for dummies, like me.

Guest fountainhall

a passport that expires in 2016. It has 7 blank pages in it and the picture doesn't even look like me any more, so I could probably get a new one. Right?

I’d agree. The Thai visa and multiple re-entry chops will take up at least one full page the first time around, plus one page subsequently. Each time you go out and return you’ll get more chops, plus I believe a new chop will be added at the 90-day reporting. So seven blank pages will not last you very long. I’d certainly get a new passport now.

Many thanks to all. You're right, this really should be a no-brainer. Even for dummies, like me.

Everybody has his first time. Everyone I've ever personally gone with to obtain a first time retirement visa, and me too the first time, was a nervous wreck until having that visa in hand. Considering your entire future depends on getting that visa, it would be difficult not to be nervous. Once you have it and see how easy it is to do, you'll probably have the same reaction everyone else has, which is "What the hell was I so nervous about?"

I also found out the Proof-of-Income letter from my Embassy is good for a year, so I can get that now before I screw that up as well. I even found the affidavit form online. I can easily produce 3 months of bank statements, if required.

You mean you're in Thailand now? Then why not get your retirement visa while you're still here?

plus I believe a new chop will be added at the 90-day reporting

Not that important but, no, they don't mess with any stamps or pages when you do the 90-day report. All they do is staple part of the form (TM 47?) on the last page of your passport to remind you of the date that you have to do your next 90-day report.

6-7 pages isn't all that bad but, if Thaiworthy plans on doing any travelling outside Thailand, it'd probably be a wise investment now to go ahead and get a new passport. Will cost you $100.00 now. Khun Thaiworthy....might as well do that right now so you have the new passport back in a month or so.

Guest thaiworthy

You mean you're in Thailand now? Then why not get your retirement visa while you're still here?

No, I am not in Thailand now. I will get the proof-of-income letter in February from the consulate office in Houston. I will probably take Bob's advice and get the whole thing done here before I leave. I read that the letter is good for a year. After that, I'm not sure if I will need another letter.

You mention that PCEC helped regarding opening a bank account. They also offer a Visa Assistance Service for those that have questions about various Thai Immigration matters - to obtain this assistance, their Newsletter shows the following contact:

Visa Assistance Information email Darrel-pcec@inbox.com.

Since they helped with the banking information, why not take advantage of their Assistance Service - maybe it will help you sort out the correct from the incorrect information that is so prevalent when trying to find your answers from internet searches.

Guest thaiworthy

2lz2p, thanks, but Bob and GB are quite correct. This isn't rocket science, I think nearly everyone has been very helpful here. I have a much better picture of what needs to be done, now that it's been hashed out. It turns out I was just nervous, mainly. Also, I will be living in Bangkok, not Pattaya, if that makes any difference. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an expats club in BKK, not that I need one, but at the time it was a good way to network and learn other things, too-- and at the time it got me the bank account I wanted. Those work anywhere in Thailand.

It's good you mentioned the contact information, though. Might be useful for others. Thanks.

Guest buckeroo2

There is nothing complicated about getting a retirement visa and you don't need to be doing any of the things you're doing.

First, don't get the retirement visa until you are in Thailand. The procedure is far simpler once you are in Thailand. You don't need any visas at all. You just enter on the usual 30 day privilege.

You'll need the embassy's proof-of-income statement, a Thai bank account and updated passbook, proof of your residence address in Thailand, one passport photo, a filled out retirement visa application form which you can get at the immigration office, and 3800 baht. That's it. That's all you need. You don't need anything else.

For a first-time retirement visa, it's probably advisable to get your Thai bank's "letter for immigration." Banks charge 100 or 200 baht for it, depending on the bank. If you ask for "letter for immigration," your bank will know exactly what you mean and exactly what you want.

In addition, take the following with you when you apply for the visa:

1. copy of your most recent visa

2. copy of main passport page

3. copy of your bank passbook's main page

4. copy of your departure card

Armed with those items, they'll do everything right there, on the spot. 1900 baht to convert your 30-day privilege and another 1900 baht for the retirement visa.

It's very simple and I've personally witnessed it done that way twice.

Getting the retirement visa won't be any problem at all. Your problem is going to be trying to get your airline to let you board your flight with a one-way ticket, but no long-term visa. I would suggest first contacting your airline, explaining what you're trying to do, and see if you can get their permission to board your flight with a one-way ticket.

If you can't get their permission, then you have several options. You can spring for a round-trip ticket. You can buy a refundable round trip ticket and get your refund once you're in Thailand. You can buy a ticket out of Thailand to another country, such as Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, or Cambodia.

To answer your question about the departure card and the 90-day address report, when you arrive in Thailand and are going through customs, they'll staple your departure card into your passport. Never remove anything from your passport. Let them do that.

Yes, the clock starts ticking on the 90 day address report upon arrival in Thailand. For the 90 day address report, you need:

1. Photocopy of your passport face page

2. Photocopy of your most recent visa stamp

3. Photocopy of your departure card

4. Proof of home ownership, rental contract, or bill in your name showing your address

5. Your actual passport

The above is for Pattaya. 90 day address reports in Bangkok may be a little different. The different immigration offices all seem to have their own requirements.

When you go to the US embassy to get your proof-of-income statement, make sure you have an appointment. They won't take walk-ins anymore. You can make your appointment online at: https://evisaforms.s...acs/default.asp

OK, guys, I just went through the whole retirement process 2 weeks ago in Pattaya. I am not saying what happned to me will be what everyone else encounters but I will relay my experience.

I already had a retirement visa but failed to get a re-entry visa before I left Thailand in August 2011. I was laid up in bed for 6 weeks with a herniated disc on my last stay in Thailand and was not up to a trip to Pattaya Immigration. I decided to just get the re-entry visa at the BKK airport before departing. I was told by 2 Immigration oficials that that service was discontinued at the airport. Others told me later that was faulty information but I left Thailand without a re-entry visa which meant I had to start the whole retirement visa process all over again.

The first time I followed GB's written instructions for applying for my retirement visa in Thailand and the whole process was painless, so I decided to go that route again.

I checked the Thaivisa forums for the latest updates/changes. They stated that Thailand Immigration would issue a Non-Immigartion visa good for 90 days and with that I could apply for the retirement visa. But they said the regulations changed and you could not apply for a retirement visa until the Non-Immigration visa only has 30 days before it expired as oppose to applying for the "O" visa and the retirement visa at the same time. The site also stated that they changed regulations and a 60 day tourist visa could be used to apply for a retirement visa. I got the tourist visa in the U.S. prior to coming to Thailand.

I know that different Thai immigration offices have different rules and even at the same office some officilas have different rules. I just prepared all of the documents that might be needed including an application for the Non-Immigartion "O" visa in case the tourist visa would not be accepted when applying for the retirement visa.

Last year when I went to the U.S. Embassy in BKK for my "proof of iincome" letter I had an appointment and there were only about 4 people waiting for services. I was there at 8:30 AM and they would not service me until 9:00 AM - the time of my appt. even after they serviced the others there and had no more people to serve. It turns out the appointment lady was busy with other duties and would not see me until the time of my appt. So, this year I just showed up. This was 3 weeks ago. I did not have an appt and I was serviced as soon as I entered as were 2 other people without appointments also seeking "proof of income" letters. I did not read that appts. were necessary until I read GB's post today. Anyway, that was not the case when I was there 3 weeks ago. I arrived when they opened at 8:30. I already had the form filled out, I paid the cashier 1500 baht and I was called up to the window to retrieve my notarized form within 10 minutes. I was out the door at 8:45 AM.

I came back to Pattaya and went to SBC bank to get my passbook updated and the letter from the bank verifying my account and balance. I know that others have said that one needs to get this on the same day as you go to the Pattaya Immigration office but I always get this done the day before as my bank is inside Tukcom and my bank does not open until 10:30 AM - too late if I want to be at Immigartion when they open. This has never been questioned at Immigration.

The next morning I arrived at Pattaya Immigration at 8:00 AM and I was surprised there was no one outside lined up to get in as is usually the case. One lady who worked at Immigration told me that it was Thursday and only Monday and Friday are busy. She told me to come inside and wait. There were 2 other farangs inside. The Thai official was already at the number dispensing machine and he asked me why I was there and I told him I was there for a Non-Immigration "O" visa and he gave me a number - 30 minutes before they opened. I was the first one served when they started calling numbers. I gave the official my passport and my application for a retirement visa thinking the Tourist visa was already issued and stamped in my passport. But she told me I needed to apply for the Non-Immigation "O" visa before I could apply for the retirement visa. I opened my folder and gave her that application I already had filled out. She went through both applications checking and circling different parts of the applications. She asked me to initial a few places and sign in a few places and then she asked me for 3900 baht - 2,000 baht for the Non-Immigration "O" visa and 1900 baht for the retirement visa. It was then that I realized I was approved and there would be no waiting to apply for the retirement visa. She passed my paperwork off to another desk and told me to sit there and wait. She waited on other people and they also were applying for their retirement visa renewals and within 5 minutes they were handed back their passports with the new visa intact. I waited about 15 minutes - maybe because I had 2 visas that needed approved. The lady was given back my passport and she stamped and signed a few pages and I was done. Both visas were approved right on the spot - no returning the next day to retrieve my passport. And as before my retirement is valid one year after my non-immigrant "O" visa expires as opposed to one year from the day they approved my retirement visa - so my retirement visa is good until April 2013.

I decided while I was there to get my re-entry visa. I apply for the one-time visa as it is 1000 baht and the multi-entry visa is 3800 baht and I only come here twice a year. I took a new number from the dispenser for the re-entry visa and filled out the form and went next door to get copies of the new "O" and retirement visa to submit with my re-entry visa application. There were 40 numbers ahead of mine, but I figured it was better to get this taken care of while I was already there. That process is pretty fast and I only waited one hour to get the re-entry visa stamp. So, Immigration opened at 8:30 AM and I left at 10:00 AM with my non-immigration "O' visa, my new retirement visa and my re-entry visa.

This was also the first time they did not ask me to make copies of something that they did not require the year before. I always think I have evrything and they always manage to ask for some copy of something I did not copy- this time the gods were on my side.

As many people have said, you can never be sure what Thailand Immigration will approve - it depends on the mood of the officials, the direction the wind is blowing, etc. So, I am not saying that if you follow my lead, you will have the same outcome. I am just relaying my experiience as it happened and this was 2 weeks ago. I was a very happy camper when I left Immigarion that day.

If I learned something new it is that I will pick a day to go to Pattaya Immigration that is not a Monday or Friday.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Last year when I went to the U.S. Embassy in BKK for my "proof of iincome" letter I had an appointment and there were only about 4 people waiting for services. I was there at 8:30 AM and they would not service me until 9:00 AM - the time of my appt. even after they serviced the others there and had no more people to serve. It turns out the appointment lady was busy with other duties and would not see me until the time of my appt. So, this year I just showed up. This was 3 weeks ago. I did not have an appt and I was serviced as soon as I entered as were 2 other people without appointments also seeking "proof of income" letters. I did not read that appts. were necessary until I read GB's post today. Anyway, that was not the case when I was there 3 weeks ago.

That comes as a surprise because the embassy's own web site says, "Beginning September 1, 2011, all non-emergency consular services will require an appointment." ( http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html ).

I don't know whether you were lucky or whether they're not following their own published policy, but I'd rather make the appointment rather than rely on luck.

Guest buckeroo2

That comes as a surprise because the embassy's own web site says, "Beginning September 1, 2011, all non-emergency consular services will require an appointment." ( http://bangkok.usemb...ov/service.html ).

I don't know whether you were lucky or whether they're not following their own published policy, but I'd rather make the appointment rather than rely on luck.

I am not sure how effective that rule would be. How many people go to a government office's website before they actually visit that office to find out that an appointment is needed? I know I went to their website to make sure of their business hours, but I did not see anything about needing an appointment - but of course, I was not looking for that - just their business hours. But many people would just call their office or ask a friend or go to another source like Thaivisa.com to get that basic information. How would anyone know that an appointment is required especially if they have been there before and knew how things worked in the past? I think most people would just show up. Again when I was there I saw about 4 people there using the consular services. No one had an appointment. And I think 2 or 3 people came in after I was there and they also asked us how to proceed to get what they needed so I am sure they did not have an appointment either.They used to have a number dispensing machine. Now they just have a sign telling you to go to Window 3 to check-in which is what everybody did when I was there. Again it was really not busy at all - maybe 7 Americans the 15 minutes I was there. As far as I know no one had an appointment and everyone was waited on immediately upon arrival. I am sure you are correct about this new regulation but it was not enforced the day I was there a few weeks ago.

I am sure you are correct about this new regulation

Considering it's right there on their own web site, there's not much for me to be correct or incorrect about.

Next logical question: When you were there, did they say anything to you about making an appointment next time you come? I'm guessing they didn't, which brings up yet another question: If they're not enforcing what they've posted on their own web site, then why did they post it in the first place and why haven't they either removed or amended it if they're going to take walk-ins anyhow?

If I have to go to the embassy for anything, I'm still going to make the appointment whether they enforce it or not. It takes less than a minute and that way, if they're crowded, I'll be walking in with an appointment and maybe get taken a lot sooner than if I was a walk-in.

The Thai official was already at the number dispensing machine and he asked me why I was there and I told him I was there for a Non-Immigration "O" visa and he gave me a number

curious as to why you said this when you really wanted to apply for "a retirement visa thinking the Tourist visa was already issued and stamped in my passport"

But she told me I needed to apply for the Non-Immigation "O" visa before I could apply for the retirement visa. I opened my folder and gave her that application I already had filled out. She went through both applications checking and circling different parts of the applications. She asked me to initial a few places and sign in a few places and then she asked me for 3900 baht - 2,000 baht for the Non-Immigration "O" visa and 1900 baht for the retirement visa.

again curious - what form did you fill out for the Non-Immigration "O" visa and what form for the retirement visa?

life is very different in Bangkok where the Immigration Police do not have a form that you can fill in to apply for a retirement visa - they do however have a form TM86 to allow you to change an existing visa (eg a Tourist Visa) to a Non-IMM O Visa or a TM87 to apply for a Non-IMM O visa in Thailand (or elsewhere) and a form TM7 to allow you to apply for an extension of permission to stay for reasons of retirement

and of course the consulates and embassies overseas have the option to issue a Non-IMM O-A retirement visa but this has significantly different requirements and benefits from the Non-IMM O visa - not necessarily well understood by the "experts" in Pattaya and certainly not available from the Immigration Police in Thailand!

while I would expect the documents required to support a visa application or extension of permission to stay may differ in Immigration Police offices in Pattaya and in Bangkok I am surprised that there appears to be different classes of visa available in Pattaya and different forms available to apply for them!

So, Immigration opened at 8:30 AM and I left at 10:00 AM with my non-immigration "O' visa, my new retirement visa and my re-entry visa.

Again I am surprised that life in Pattaya is so different because in Bangkok not only do the Immigration Police not issue retirement visas they don't issue re-entry visas either!

Hope someone finds this useful.

there are only a small number of visa classes that can be issued by consulates and embassies under the Foreign Ministry

there are even fewer visa classes that can be issued by Immigration Police Offices under the Interior Ministry, and they can also issues permissions to stay and re-entry permits

there are only a limited number of forms that can be filled out to apply for visas, extensions of stay or re-entry

this is not rocket science - why do most people find it so hard to post usable verifiable information here?

bkkguy

curious as to why you said this when you really wanted to apply for "a retirement visa thinking the Tourist visa was already issued and stamped in my passport"

I had no problem following his story and, given you're the apparent expert on just about everything, you shouldn't have either. It appears he came into the country with a 60-day Tourist Visa issued in his home country.

And, as you should know, you can't get the one-year visa (retirement visa, or whatever one wants to call it) directly from a Tourist Visa. So, he had to first get the Non-Immigrant O visa and, from that, can apply for and get the so-called retirement visa. In his particular situation, they did it all at once. Not strange to me at all as that's exactly the process I had to go through a few years back (I came into the country with a Tourist Visa, they cancelled that and issued me a Non-Immigrant O visa, and then, within the same 30 minutes, issued me a "retirement visa" that began or took effect on the day that the Non-Immigant O visa expired 90 days later).

I suppose somebody could get all pedantic and even argue that neither he nor I got a "retirement visa" but a one-year extension of the Non-Immigrant O visa. Most people call that stamp in the passport (the one that says you can stay until one year later) a retirement visa and I commonly refer to it as the same thing. Somebody else can call it a duck if they want to.

The bottom-line of the story, as far as I'm concerned, is that one can't get a retirement visa directly from a Tourist visa (unless, perhaps, some immigration officer doesn't follow the "normal" procedure which probably happens all the time).

I'm totally flummoxed at BKK's comment of "I am surprised that life in Pattaya is so different because in Bangkok not only do the Immigration Police not issue retirement visas they don't issue re-entry visas either!" Is there some hidden meaning here that I'm missing? I've gone to immigration offices both Chiangmai and Hua Hin and the people that work there are often referred to as Immigration Police but, again, who cares what you call them. And those "Immigration Police" in both of those offices have previously issued retirement visas (or "extensions" for the pendantic) and re-entry permits for me. Just because he referred to either of those items as "visas" ought to leave your skirts unruffled - anyone with a modicum of sense understood what he meant.

I suppose somebody could get all pedantic and even argue that neither he nor I got a "retirement visa" but a one-year extension of the Non-Immigrant O visa. Most people call that stamp in the passport (the one that says you can stay until one year later) a retirement visa and I commonly refer to it as the same thing.

I don't care what the technical term might be either. As far as I'm concerned, once they issue the visa, now you're good for a year. What else matters?

By the way, each of my annual visas are stamped into my passport with the word "RETIREMENT" in big bold all-caps letters, surrounded by a box. Bkkguy can argue about it all he wants from now 'til Kingdom Come, but to me that makes it a retirement visa and perfectly proper to call it a retirement visa. If bkkguy wants to call it something else, I certainly won't stand in his way.

Retirement.jpg

By the way, each of my annual visas are stamped into my passport with the word "RETIREMENT" in big bold all-caps letters, surrounded by a box. Bkkguy can argue about it all he wants from now 'til Kingdom Come, but to me that makes it a retirement visa and perfectly proper to call it a retirement visa. If bkkguy wants to call it something else, I certainly won't stand in his way.

The "retirement visas" I've had issued in both Hua Hin and Chiangmai have never had that word (retirement) anywhere near them. And it is a bit funny that we even call it that as none of the requirements for the "retirement visa" involves being retired! But, again, we all know what it means and so it doesn't matter what we call it.

And, while I acknowledge that each year I apply for a "new" one-year time period on a form saying I am asking for an "extension", I get a new stamp on a "visa" page that says that my "application of stay is permitted up to" a given date. That's a written governmental okay to be in Thailand during the one-year time period and, if that isn't a 'visa", I guess I don't know what is.