Guest fountainhall

Would you Sit Down to Take a Pee?

Guest fountainhall

When did it start, I wonder? At least as far back as Shakespearean times. The cod-piece on men’s trousers not only led to an appealing bulge, they enabled a quick unlacing when nature called. And the act of taking a pee whilst standing up probably goes much further back than that. After all, it’s so much faster and more sensible than going into a stall, taking down one’s pants and undergarment, and then sitting or squatting as the ladies do – isn’t it?

Yet, that’s not what the Environment Protection Minster of Taiwan thinks. He wants all men to revert to sitting on the bowl when shaking hands with the vicar in public toilets. It avoids spatter and the smell of stale urine, he suggests.

"We want to learn from Japan and Sweden," said Yuan Shaw-jing, EPA director general of environmental sanitation and toxic substance maintenance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-19390785

Oh really? I’ve never been to Sweden, but I have never heard of men sitting down to pee in Japanese public toilets.

Here in Thailand, there’s probably no need for such a lengthy sedentary posture. In all the hawng nams I’ve visited, the cleaners are around you within seconds, their mops at the ready! And whilst I am at it: why are they all middle-aged ladies? Why don’t nice young men take up such jobs. Now that would make sprinkling my tinkle ever so much more enjoyable :p

Guest thaiworthy

The only reason I can think of for preferring to sit down to pee, is for the comfort of those fancy Japanese toilets that squirt your privates with water and blow it dry at the push of a button.

I love gadgets, where do I get one. One problem I can see is what is you like it in one position and you partner wants another. Hey guys, I am talking about the toilet. I can think of two additional attachments that yours does not offer, but will give the mods a break and not mention them. Yes, i would sit down for this toilet.

Guest fountainhall

I wouldn't worry about positions, KT. You can make these seats adjust to about anything with adept use of the buttons. Terminal 21 at Sukhumvit/Asoke also has them, but a less advanced version without so many bells and whistles. I love the heated seats, especially in a colder climate! I do think, though, that "Front Cleansing" refers to ladies rather than gentlemen. Accordingly, you might not get rinsed the part you wish to rinse - as it were :o . And as billyhouston mentions, with gadgets there is always the risk of them running amok. Depending on how you sit and the 'drop' of your 'equipment', I suppose there's always the faint possibility you might get speared :angry:

Peeing standing safes time and space. In public toilets, there is usually a queue in front of the ladies' toilet, because it takes longer for them because they have to sit, and you can install fewer toilet bowls than urinals in the same space.

There was even an attempt to introduce urinals for women in Germany (at least I read so in a journal for sanitary ware long time ago), but it did not catch on.

Yet, that’s not what the Environment Protection Minster of Taiwan thinks. He wants all men to revert to sitting on the bowl when shaking hands with the vicar in public toilets. It avoids spatter and the smell of stale urine, he suggests.

Stale urine you will undoubtedly get if a town or city's menfolk pee on statues or against trees or go in the bushes. That is why, according to the discussion about the French system of pissoirs, they were designed to prevent.

But even in a typical gents urinal, spatter and smells can arise. Hence the rather silly admonishment often seen in toilets:

Gentlemen please stand closer, it's shorter than you think

Ladies, please remain seated for the entire performance

Gentlemen please stand closer, it's shorter than you think

Ladies, please remain seated for the entire performance

Similar to dear ol' mom. With 8 boys, one can understand the placard she placed over the bowl: "I aim to keep this bathroom clean. Your aim will help!"