TotallyOz

A little effort goes a long way: A comparison between Boyztown Soi 1 and 3

Last night it rained as it has so many times in the past few months. I was in the Boyztown area and as I was walking down past Funny Boys and that area, the streets were cleared of water puddles and rain. Yes, I have watched many times in the past this process sitting at Cafe Royale and the doormen and workers of all the various bars on that street as they sweep the water into the drainage areas to clean it up for customers.

In stark contrast, the other soi is filled with water after a rain all night. They never sweep or try to make the area easy for people walking in the area. It was not just one night but I have noticed this 10 times over the past 2 months.

Why can one soi be so efficient and organized and the other one just not give a rat's ass? It seems so trivial but it really does reveal a great deal about the two areas.

Why can one soi be so efficient and organized and the other one just not give a rat's ass? It seems so trivial but it really does reveal a great deal about the two areas.

Two cents (or bhat) from one who doesn't get to spend much time in the area... as it rained all day on Wednesday, I sat on the porch of Le Café Royale working on a writing task I had been neglecting. I noticed that the staffs from LCR, Copa and Ambience interacted frequently and in a friendly manner. I also noted that customers from LCR and Ambience who were brave enough to venture out, were carrying umbrellas provided by those institutions, suggesting to me a strong customer service orientation. I have also often read a out how well run Funny Boys and Panorama are. Lastly, after viewing Loy Krathong and feeling hungry I checked into food options at Panorama and Castro next door. Both offered food and both got their food from LCR. For me, there was a feel of an association of businesses who understand that working together is in everyone's best interest. Walking down the soi there seems to be a sense or pride that I found missing on the other sois where each business seems to work hard at dragging you away from the competition and into their lair.

re: post#2. Really? I hope you understand Soi 3 is the BT soi and Soi 1 is the one with X-Boys.

Well obviously I got it back to front.

One thing is sure, I spend about 10 times as much time in the soi with the big sign as in the other two.