Guest thaiworthy

New Swedish Export: Elderly to Thailand

Guest thaiworthy

11 million people visit Thailand every year. So which country outside of Asia visits Thailand the most? Coming in at number one is Australia with 520,090, followed by the United Kingdom at 670,904, the U.S. at 496,812, India at 494,223, Germany with 438,171, France at 339,201, and in seventh place is Sweden with 253,007.

Notice anything about those numbers? All those countries are in the top 25 of the most populated in the world, except for Sweden with about 9.3 million residents. Which means that every year 2% of the population, or 1 out of every 50 Swedes, packs up and heads over 5,000 miles to Thailand.

Well, now there is a proposition to send the elderly to Thailand because the health care is cheaper. Is this just another silly idea or an omen of things to come from other countries as well?

A new controversial idea from Sweden brings export and import of services to a whole new level. The elderly in Sweden are an increasing group that requires much and expensive care. At the same time, recruiting manpower for the needed services is becoming a challenge. A study group in the Swedish town Nora that discussed health care needs in the future suggest that in stead of importing labour, it might be easier and cheaper to simply export the elderly.

The idea is quite simple. The elderly are becoming more and more. Wages are high in Sweden and there is a shortage of labour in this sector. In Thailand the services are cheap and the country is already popular among the elderly Swedes. The thought is to offer retired Swedes help in relocating to Thailand and then paying for the services they might require which would then be handled by Thai-workers. Thailand is a popular country for Swedish tourists while a large number a senior citizens move there permanently.

http://scandasia.com/swedish-proposition-send-the-elderly-to-thailand-services-are-cheaper/

Guest abang1961

This practice is not limited to European countries.

I know many Singaporeans going up to Thailand and Malaysia for cheaper medical care.

In fact, I had done one minor medical/vanity procedures once in Phuket, Thailand.

I took up a tooth whitening procedure for less than 40% of what I would pay in Singapore.

The service was impeccable and the results no less favourable.

Guest abang1961

Dear koko..(you are so naughty.. I pardon you )

I have yet to discover the joy of butt tanning in Thailand.

You know, the Thais are tolerant but yet they are conservative about their bodies.

There are very few brave Thais who dare to tan themselves, much less if they are willing to wear a g-string or be naked.

I must have been the only Asian who worn a gstring at Jomtien Beach, Pattaya some 2 months ago.

Most Thais want to be WHITE.. I think I am more appealing with my tanned butts...

Guest fountainhall

11 million people visit Thailand every year.

Now where, I wonder, did you get those figures, Khun TW? Seems you haven't been reading the threads on this Board, since it has been mentioned more than once, I believe, that annual tourism is now well over 20 million.  :shok: 15 million visited in 2010 despite the months of red shirts chaos in Bangkok. The figure leapt up to 19 million in 2011, despite the end of year flooding which resulted in a lot of groups cancelling. Preliminary estimates indicate 22 million+ in 2012.

As to nationalities, I fear the statistics are also way out of date! East Asia leads the pack with with over 12 million! Outside of East Asia, the 2012 stats are -

Russia (well, it's partly outside Asia) - 1.317 million

India - 1.015 million

Australia - 930,599

UK - 870,164

US - 767,420

Germany - 681,566

France - 582,996

Sweden - 350,565

As for trends, UK arrivals have been more or less static since 2006. Less than 2% growth. In those 6 years, Australian arrivals are up by around 70%, US around 10%, Germany around 31%, France around 78% and Sweden by 14%.

Yes, your main point is spot on! Medical tourism is now heavily promoted in several countries including India, Singapore and Malaysia - not only Thailand. Indeed, some Thai hospitals like Bumrungrad are also now managing hospitals and health care facilities in other parts of the world. It would not surprise me at all if some entrepreneurs jump on the bandwagon of special resorts for long term care of the aged. I expect it would be hugely profitable. Imagine a string of Best Exotic Marigold Hotels around Thailand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDY89LYxK0w

As a postscript, as again we know the tourist trends are very clear. SInce 2009, by far the largest increases year-on-year have been from China (260%) and Russia (290%). The numbers out of China are exploding (2.789 million in 2012 against 1.721 million in 2011, 1.122 million in 2010 and 777,508 in 2009). Whilst the majority of these tourists up till now have probably been travelling in groups, more and more individuals are travelling. One local newspaper recently had an article about the mega-rich Chinese visiting here with their families to check the country out before spending millions of dollars on purchasing second homes. The traditional places for parking such hot money - Hong Kong and Singapore - are now too expensive. So real estate prices in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket, Samui etc. are bound to rise significantly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

And as mentioned an other earlier thread, the number of Chinese and other Asian visitors to Bangkok's Soi Twilight does seem to be significantly up. Judging from my two recent visits, more Asians than westerners now. Are other bars and gay establishments taking note, I wonder?

Guest thaiworthy

Now where, I wonder, did you get those figures, Khun TW? Seems you haven't been reading the threads on this Board, since it has been mentioned more than once, I believe, that annual tourism is now well over 20 million.  :shok: 15 million visited in 2010 despite the months of red shirts chaos in Bangkok. The figure leapt up to 19 million in 2011, despite the end of year flooding which resulted in a lot of groups cancelling. Preliminary estimates indicate 22 million+ in 2012.

Oops, you're right, the article is three years old. It is dated March 17, 2010. But even then, it was wrong for 2010, as you cited 15 million people, and the referenced article states 11 million. I did not include a link because the thread was about Swede Medical Retirement for which I did provide a link. So here is where I got those figures from:

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/03/17/you-know-who-loves-thailand-the-swedes/

I didn't even think to look for your posted information. My bad! Had I done that though, it might never have occurred to me that this ratio seems high. I just wanted to establish that a lot of Swedes come to Thailand. If one out of 50 is wrong, then is it far off from wrong? It just seems like a lot of people to me, compared to other countries and that is the point I was trying to make. I wish the US would do this. I would love to get Medicare here in Thailand when I turn 65. I would also love it i they paid for my relocation here as well!

I don't know if this is medical tourism. It isn't a tummy tuck or other cosmetic surgery that Thailand is famous for. It is retirement here permanently for the sole purpose of medical care, which the Swedish government would appear to be paying for. I thought it was a noteworthy subject. The article begins by stating it is a controversial idea. it said that wages are high in Sweden and there is a shortage of labour. The thought is to offer retired Swedes help in relocating to Thailand and then paying for the services they might require. I've just never heard of that being done before, and it is only an idea at this stage. All this did seem remarkable.

Thanks for the video clip, I love Judi Dench. I keep looking for 007, though. I love the quote everything will be all right in the end, and if it is not all right, then it is not yet the end. 

Guest fountainhall

No, indeed it is not medical tourism in the accepted sense. And I do think someone or some group will pick up on the idea and establish centres for the elderly here. The problem would be that some countries almost certainly will not permit the transfer of health benefits - the UK being one! There would be an outcry in Britain if people were permitted to live out their golden years on a beach in Thailand at taxpayer's expense. On the other hand, private medical insurers might see the benefit.

I had heard somewhere that there is a small home for retired westerners somewhere near Pattaya. But more than that, I haven't a clue.

No, indeed it is not medical tourism in the accepted sense. And I do think someone or some group will pick up on the idea and establish centres for the elderly here. The problem would be that some countries almost certainly will not permit the transfer of health benefits - the UK being one! There would be an outcry in Britain if people were permitted to live out their golden years on a beach in Thailand at taxpayer's expense. On the other hand, private medical insurers might see the benefit.

I had heard somewhere that there is a small home for retired westerners somewhere near Pattaya. But more than that, I haven't a clue.

The retirement home you mention is east of Sukumvit and the management made a presentation to the Pattaya City Expats Club a while back.

Like the UK, America will not see the day where health care benefits (Medicare) are transferred outside the country even if the economics makes sense.   The doctors (AMA) and health care workers/industry will not permit the outsourcing of jobs.  Private insurers?....maybe.

I can't see thwe UK government ever funding expat retirement, but It certainly makes sense economically, at least in some cases. It's not just that the healthcare is cheaper - for me, at least, my health is significantly better. I've spent the last 16 weeks in Chiang Mai with barely a twinge from arthritis, as opposed to what would have been 3 months of minor, but more or less constant pain in the English winter. I reckon that coming here for the winter will keep my mobility for an extra 10 years plus - which years might well otherwise require some level of provision of care.

One of the issues for a foreign government, though, is an open-ended commitment with the major costs denominated in a foreign currency. The cost/benefit ratio could change significantly with changes in exchange rates. That makes it an uncontrolled cost and, quite rightly, the Treasury hate that.

Guest fountainhall

Fountainhall isn't quite ready for that yet.....

I detect a degree of self interest here! I can't retire until you've seen my photos from the next Taipei Gay Parade!  :crazy:

And he still has his own teeth!

Wanna bet?  :lolu:

some EUR countries, I think FR to start, allows people who have national/medical insurance to come to TH for some treatments-non-urgent, as total cost, incl flight, si less as what it would cost at home.

I think the country that sends most of its people to TH is Norway and Finland- only half the population of SE and nearly as much visitors. I noted that from HEL they have direct charters to places like Krabi- its only INTERcontinental airlink!