Guest alexwhite

questions from newcomer

Guest alexwhite

I never been to Thailand and i hope to travel for a short holiday alone in this coming April.
Could anyone suggest me what nice place can i go? 
how much is the cost ?(estimate)
is there safe?
what should i aware of?

Hope someone can help me.....thank you so much..

Everyone can,  but not with that short of information list.  What are you looking to do hunt for boys or see the sites and experience the things you can do in Thailand?  What is your budget?  How long will you be here?  It would even be nice to know how old you are and your ability to get around.  I can think of other things, but lets start with those.

By the way, you have come to the right place to get answers and welcome to the board.

Guest fountainhall

In addition to the very valid points KhorTose has mentioned, I suggest you need to do a bit more homework on Thailand first. Do you want cities, or countryside? Bars and/or beaches? And so on.

But you also have to be aware that April is not only a big holiday month here. The main Thai New Year, Songkran, falls on April 13 and a lot of accommodation will be pretty booked up by now around that time. Plus a lot of Thai families travel abroad that month, so flights in and out can also be pretty full - and the seats that are left can be pretty expensive. Add to that Easter Monday falling on 1 April and you have a lot of westerners here that week for the end of their Easter breaks.

So if you plan to come, the end of the month is likely to be a bit cheaper and easier for travel and accommodation, I suspect.

April is the hottest month of the year and brutal in Bangkok and not much better in Pattaya.

If anyone is thinking spring weather, forget it.  Better to wait until June or July, when it is cloudy most days and the rains

help cool things down.

My first trip was in late March and I never stopped sweating in Bangkok.

Guest abang1961

I was in Pattaya in April 2006.

It was definitely one of the best time to visit Thailand as it was Songkran.

This water festival allows you to be child-like, again (for once).

It is considered as a blessing when someone (it can be a complete stranger) pours/shoots water at you.

The good part for me... I was in my minimal wear for the few days then..

The water was the best thing to cool down when the weather  was HOT, extremely hot.

Don't bother to change to a new set of clothes cos' you will get wet very soon.

And that's one of the reasons to visit Thailand.

As a rough guide..

daily expenses (if you are not spendthrift) should be about USD 120 daily.

The website below gives you an indication of the lower end, basic hotel accommodation.

http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com/roomrate.html

Guest thaiworthy

When I was visiting Thailand twice yearly, I would budget (US)$500 a month. That meant $3,000 per trip, not including airfare. About half the time airfare was free (economy) because I had lots of frequent flyer miles. For a two week stay, that averaged out to $214 a day, probably more than most would spend. No one thing will cost you much, but many little chunks here and there add up fast.

People I knew back in those days would balk when I told them I spend that much for a vacation. They equated that amount to a monthly payment for a new car. Funny how values can so dramatically change from person to person. A new car. As if that really meant anything in realm of experience and knowledge. A car gets you from one place and back and ends up a chunk of metal in a wrecking yard. I still think that's hilarious.

I'm sure your trip to Thailand can be done for less and this has been an exhaustive subject on all the boards for a very long time. Many, many have asked the same question and were never heard from again. if you are serious about coming here, the advice you receive now will be invaluable, but only if you respond soon. Good luck!

Guest abang1961

When I was visiting Thailand twice yearly, I would budget (US)$500 a month.

Pardon me.. I thought I read wrongly.

I have mistaken that you survive on USD 500 monthly while you were in Thailand.

That is really impossible for a foreigner to live on that measly sum.

Then I realised that you have put aside USD 500 monthly, i.e. USD 6000 yearly for the 2 trips to Thailand.

That is, to me (at USD 200 daily), a lot of money to spend in Thailand for a 4 week vacation.

So may I ask, my dear, where did the money go?

* I live in Singapore and yes with the budget airlines, the return flight/airfare can be as low as USD 200.

If I am frugal and spend my money wisely, I could survive on USD 500 during my 1 week break there.

So you see I am a pauper.....