TotallyOz

Bangkok Marriott Executive Apartments in Thonglor

Guest anonone

I have not stayed there, but did look into staying at other Marriott "executive apartments". 

If you participate in the Marriott's Rewards program, be aware that the apartments do not earn points and status nights in the same manner as actual hotel stays.

I have not stayed there, but did look into staying at other Marriott "executive apartments". 

If you participate in the Marriott's Rewards program, be aware that the apartments do not earn points and status nights in the same manner as actual hotel stays.

They do earn you points and they also earn 1 night for every 3 nights.

FYI, I have stayed in the one on Sathorn and loved it. I also stayed at the one on Suk 24 and it was nice as well but a bit off the road.

Guest anonone

Good to know.  I couldn't remember the specifics, but recalled the elite nights were not the same, which caused me to book elsewhere. 

Good to know.  I couldn't remember the specifics, but recalled the elite nights were not the same, which caused me to book elsewhere.

Yes, I would do the same for a short stay. But, for a long stay apartment, a resident would get 120 days credit for each year staying. That is great for getting close to the Lifetime Platinum status.

There is also a new Marriott Hotel at the same Thonglor location.  I stayed there in April for three days.  It's a beautiful hotel and would recommend it.  When I was there the Executive Lounge wasn't open yet.  It was planned for the 40th floor. I am sure it is open now and worth waiting for.   For Elite members they were using a different lounge on the 3rd floor for the nightly appetizers and drinks. Also, they gave Elite members the breakfast buffet in the main restaurant free since the Executive Lounge breakfast wasn't available.  I would stay there again.

As far as the executive apartments go, you may in fact earn points, but as anonone indicated "they are not earned in the same manner."  Also the apartment properties don't participate in other reward promotions.  Two stays earn one free stay was a spring promotion.  No credit for stays at the apartments.  And, the apartments don't offer the same amenities to elite members.

In addition to the New Marriott Hotel at Thonglor, I always stayed at both Bangkok Marriott Executive apartment properties in April.  In my opinion if you are a solo traveler and don't need an apartment for a long stay, don't book an apartment.  Also, if the rewards given to elite members (Executive Lounge cocktail hour to name one) is important to you, don't stay at an apartment.

Guest anonone

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/marriott-gay-travel.mi

Marriott's own website, for one.

We’ve Been Proud for Years

We’re proud to say Marriott was one of the first hotel companies to offer equal benefits to same-sex couples nationwide, earning us top ratings on the Corporate Equality Index from the Human Rights Campaign.

We want our gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender guests to feel at home at every Marriott property. We invite you, to be you, with us.

Guest JamesBarnes

Dear anonone,

Very good but am I the only one who is a little sceptical about this kind of business who seem only interested in taking money from the gay market?

Were they to sponsor gay Pride or take paid ads in the gay press etc, I may feel differently. I think that gay people are a little too wise to be fooled by these cosmetic declarations! Let's see the colour of their money!

Best wishes,

James Barnes

I fail to see what your question about whether they market themselves as Gay Friendly has to do with them donating money to causes.

Should they have to donate money to every group they market their Hotel to?  I don't think so .  The fact that they make a strong statement means you can expect to be treated as any other couple in one of their properties and not feel any discrimination from staff etc.

Plus I see nothing cosmetic about offering equal benefits to same sex couples and consider that a much stronger statment then a few $ given to Gay Charities.

Guest fountainhall

Sorry James, but your comment sounds just a bit like a gripe that the company hasn't supplied your magazine with ads!  :shok:

It seems to me that Marriott has done quite a bit through its social responsibility programme and its commitment to gay rights.

While the Mormon Church campaigned against same-sex marriage in California, Marriott declined to donate any money to the cause and instead “stepped into the drama by publicly reinforcing his company’s commitment to gay rights through domestic partners benefits and services aimed at gay couples.”

http://baltimore.citybizlist.com/article/unlike-chic-fil-president-jw-marriott-stays-quiet-gay-marriage-despite-religious-views

The Marriott family has indeed contributed to Republican and some right-wing causes (they are after all Mormons). I have no idea what if anything it has contributed specifically to gay-related causes. But surely not contributing to specific anti-gay organisations and programmes says something?

Besides, it already does contribute to other charities, especially children's hospitals. I see from one Report, that it has donated around $60 million to Children's Miracle Network in the USA over 25 years, $400,000 to Safe Kids China and roughly $600,000 to SOS Children's Villages, both over one year. I haven't the faintest idea how this relates to other large companies, but along with its other programmes, it seems far from unreasonable.

Incidentally, are there other major worldwide hotel brands who do contribute to specific gay-related causes?

Guest anonone

Dear anonone,

Very good but am I the only one who is a little sceptical about this kind of business who seem only interested in taking money from the gay market?

Were they to sponsor gay Pride or take paid ads in the gay press etc, I may feel differently. I think that gay people are a little too wise to be fooled by these cosmetic declarations! Let's see the colour of their money!

Best wishes,

James Barnes

As a business, I think they are trying to take money from every market.  Gay, Straight, Religious, whatever.   

I am with fountainhall and firecat on this one. 

I understand what James is saying. They speak of equality in the business practices but they are Mormon owned and I bet the business and the family all contribute to very conservative causes. That said, it doesn't matter to me as long as they don't give money to defeat gay causes like Prop 8 in California and the Mormon church did that itself. That, by the way, was bad press for them and they have tried to mind their own business the last year as it tarnished their image.

I also agree with Firecat that same sex benefits are important. I don't see the need to donate to gay causes or gay press as long as they are not giving to our enemies. If they did, I would be in a pondry as to what to do.

As for this service apartments, it is the same address as the hotel chaotou stayed at so I guess it is just the top floors or middle floors? I am not sure.

Guest JamesBarnes

I do understand all the above points but equal treatment for gay customers should be universal. I know of an international hotel chain who claim to be gay friendly yet instantly sack any staff member who are HIV+

My point is not a gripe against non advertisers! My point is that it is well established that gay men have a higher than average disposable income and brand loyalty and this demographic is cynically exploited with no payback to the gay community.

Guest fountainhall

Come on, James! We all know that equal treatment is not universal - look at countries in Africa and the Middle East - and it will be a long time before it becomes so. The same was true re human rights even in countries like the USA! How long did it take western countries to give women the vote, or African Americans the right to vote? The LGBT rights situation is a helluva lot better than it was 30 years ago, and it will continue to get better.

You are surely being hugely selective by singling out Marriott. How about the tens of thousands (millions?) of other businesses around the world who benefit from the pink dollar, and yet do not make cash contributions to the gay community? Whilst we're at it, what about those countries who demand an HIV test before you can become an immigrant and then deny you a visa if you are HIV+? I know this is what happens in Australia. But then they also screen out many of those suffering from other pre-existing conditions, likeTB and hepatitis!

Guest JamesBarnes

I agree, dear fountainhall, of course there are countries who are discriminatory but that is not what is being discussed.

I am simply questioning the cynicism of straight owned businesses who cash in on gay customers without giving anything back. 

Guest fountainhall

Point taken, but with respect how can most businesses identify the degree by which they benefit from a gay clientele? I recently spent 3 nights in a Marriott hotel in Hong Kong and six in Khao Lak. In each I was on my own. There was, I believe, no way the hotels could have known I was gay (unless they spotted my mincing walk and my sequined Bette Midler T-shirts  :yahoo:). 

Equally, when I shop in a department store in Tokyo or a CD store in Hong Kong. Sure, some businesses are geared more to gay people than others. But in general, unless a business specifically asks if a customer is gay or not - and then gets a 'straight' answer  :shok:  - surely most don't have much of a clue as to the sexual identities of their patrons.

Real equality comes when sexuality is a non-issue and it is impossible to infer the sexuality of the customer from the level of service provided and the attitude of the staff. Why should such a business give special support to gay causes?

I know this is not the case all over the world, but in the Americas, Western Europe, Australasia and parts of Asia we are getting there. In these places we may have to get used to the idea that we have to give up outdated romantic notions of ourselves as a persecuted minority and accept that we are just ordinary Joes.

Guest fountainhall

Please can anyone tell me if Marriott is marketing itself as 'gay friendly' and if so, where?

Well, it's taken a while, but I see the Marriott Chicago does take out below-the-title banner advertising on gaytravel.com, as on this link -

http://www.gaytravel.com/about-gay-travel

Unfortunately, that link has come under close scrutiny in another thread on gaythailand.com and its Asian section is an utter disgrace, a point which has been made to the site owner by several members, as it has to one of its sponsors. But that's another issue. The fact is Marriott does seem to put at least some money into a gay business.

Guest Enchanter

am I the only one who is a little sceptical about this kind of business who seem only interested in taking money from the gay market?

Ah come on mate... you're expecting every business, which classes itself as "gay friendly" to donate to gay charities and advertise in gay press?

This is sounding like a very negative, over-zealous gay rights campaigner and lacking in perspective. 

I think it's a fantastic move for any business to put forward policies, which ensure it doesn't discriminate  against same sex couples. They should all be encouraged to do this and this should be all that's demanded of them from the gay community.

If they want to support gay charities and press then great, that's an extra step but discriminating against them for NOT doing this is unfair and doing the gay community a great disservice. 

Now, the thing about Marriott being owned by Mormons is somewhat valid but I still think it's positive that they are putting their deeply held values aside in making an attempt to cater fairly to the gay market... and you'd be surprised how many very successful businesses out there are owned by Mormons. 

Guest fountainhall

The other evening I had dinner with a young Thai friend who works at the new Marriott hotel in Thonglor. The apartments are part of the hotel complex. I was surprised when he said that I should not recommend it to anyone!

Apparently there is still a lot of construction smell about the building and in the rooms. The materials used in constructing the rooms are cheap and look it! The lifts have no air-conditioning and can get really hot if you have a room near the top of the building.

When he applied for the job, he was told the target market would be Japanese. However, the owner is Indian and most – he reckons 75%-80% – of the guests are Indian, many on package tours. Also, a lot of the local Indian community go there to eat in the restaurants and drink in the rooftop bar.

He feels the owners treat the staff very badly. Salaries are low. The staff canteen has food brought in from outside. My friend says it is inedible most of the time. Not surprisingly there is a large staff turnover.

Second-hand comments - but I have known my friend for 5 years and he knows the hotel business!