Guest MonkeySee

Info on Myanmar?

Guest MonkeySee

:D I know this is not Thailand related, but was hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge the many poster have about the region. Utopia website is very outdated but maybe things have not changed in the country. I have just purchased a flight from Bangkok to Yangon for mid-January. I have not been to Burma since 2002 and would love to have any updated information or tips. If possible, any recommendations on places to stay in the capital would be appreciated. I prefer to stay at a locally owned hotel or guesthouse (would like to minimize support of the government). It would be a big plus if the hotel or guesthouse would look the other way if I happen to bring in a newly found local friend. Thanks in advance.

I haven't been there, but a close friend was there recently. He stayed at The Traders hotel and loved it. The web site is http://www.shangri-la.com/yangon/traders/en/index.aspx . The hotel is also directly across the street from the Lion World bar, which he also loved. He says the best way to meet gay boys is by picking them up in cruise areas. He also said that you are likely to be stopped by touts who will make arrangements for you. He says that worked for him just fine and he had no problems at all, including bringing a "guest" to his room.

He suggests bringing American dollars. Whatever amount of money you'll need, take it with you. He says he saw no ATMs at all and exchange houses were few and far between. He said they prefer to take American dollars. He also said the boys ask for only US $4 to $5 for their services.

Guest hajuthai

I was there 1,5 years ago, bought the travel trough an agency in ssoi post office. They also arranged visa. No problem in Yangoon airport, got a better chance because of the visa, stayed at Panorama hotel in middle of Yangon, Pansodan street 294-300, e/mail panorama@mptmail.net.mm

Okay rooms with TV, CNN and BBC. Cheap food.

He said they prefer to take American dollars. He also said the boys ask for only US $4 to $5 for their services.

Of course Gay Button you would not want to upset your buddy Gay Thailand and reccommend less than 30 dollars for short time and more for long time.

I hope that nobody would pay an oppressed poverty stricken Burmese boy less than a relativey rich Thai boy.

In my view no tourist should enter Burma until the restoraration of some form of legitamate government anduntil the Burmese military stop exporting drugs particularly into Thailand.

Guest MonkeySee
:) Thanks guys for the Panorama and Traders hotel tip. The Trader's hotel would be nice since it is close to the cruise area and the Lion's pub. I stayed at the YMCA last time but it was quite basic. It would be nice to find a place similar to Bangkok