Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
West Point Formal ...this is cool
Well, yes. That is what makes it a trick question. No?
-
Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies killing of U.S. citizens
Evidently. There does seem to be some hope that Brennan's pending confirmation hearing will provide occasion for at least a modicum of public debate over all this.
-
US Postal Service to cut Saturday service August 1
This piece is a good reminder of how the P.O. (still can't get used to its current name) is more central to the American experiment than sometimes acknowledged: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/09/opinion/how-the-post-office-made-america.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130209&_r=1& I also remain puzzled about the commentary here that the organization soaks up tax dollars. Can anyone document that? I will confess a bias. Papa was a mail sorter (having to learn the dread Scheme each February was his bane -- every sorter before automation had to learn the address structure and ZIP codes of the entire area served by that P.O., so they could take over anyone else's lettercase when someone was sick.) And his brother ran the local Post Office garage, maintaining the mail trucks. So one has some attachment.
-
US Postal Service to cut Saturday service August 1
It is not poorly managed. What EXPAT said is the root problem. And contra Four Aces, it has not received taxpayer dollars since the early 1980s, with very minor exceptions.
-
West Point Formal ...this is cool
Oddly, Pat Robertson seems to be getting vaguely liberal on some issues these days. Could the end time actually be near?
-
Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies killing of U.S. citizens
Lookin, your phrase "will lead" is so optimistic. "Has led," try? And where is anyone of conscience in the civil debate? Has the left, the right, and everybody in between taken leave of their senses?
-
Mistrial: Witness's fake eyeball pops out
OK. So you and my mother are identical... Just so I know...!
-
Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)
Ok, "surf." alright already! But, yeah, that part of the country is lovably full of contrarian shit. People you would not at all expect from the conventional PC line.
-
Mistrial: Witness's fake eyeball pops out
Yuck, yuck! And I thought I had no shame.
-
Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)
Being a Yalie myself...As whatsisname said to Dershowitz (whom one knows and has seen naked in the serf off Martha's Vineyard), after poisoning wife Sonny Von Bulow: "You have no idea."
-
Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)
I repeat myself but one episode when Thurston and Lovey were teaching table manners to the Cave Man, and he just could not grasp the concept, Thurston could not help exclaiming, "Heavens, Lovey, he must be a Yale man!"
-
Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)
"IV"? Ah! As in the scion of Thurston Howell III. (Which a gf from NYC called me.) (I took it as a compliment.)
-
Boeing 787 Screamliner
...I know I've made some very poor decisions recently. But I can assure you, very confidently...
-
Star Trek: Into Darkness (coming 5-13)
And why would that be so surprising? ...It was back in 2006, anyway. On a visit to NC when Andre happened to be out of town.
-
Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies killing of U.S. citizens
This analysis also seems correct: http://m.guardiannews.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/08/law-war-cia-john-brennan-drone-kill-list
-
Maniac Cop On The Loose In LA
Trying to think what I would pay to return to the old once-a-day news cycle. If only.
-
Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies killing of U.S. citizens
P.S. http://m.guardiannews.com/world/2013/feb/09/barack-obama-extreme-anti-terror-tactics-liberal-backlash
-
Maniac Cop On The Loose In LA
As Mark Twain said: "...but I repeat myself."
-
Mistrial: Witness's fake eyeball pops out
Gross! I may not be able to eat today. (I.e., you got me back!)
-
Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies killing of U.S. citizens
TY, I agree the Framers gave each branch pretty broad latitude to do as it saw right, in whatever the exigencies. Certainly it is useful that the Executive can stretch his/her powers quite far when times demand. Then, emergency past, Congress and the courts can beat back the excesses. (Took Hamilton to see, some 20 years after ratification, that those perceived weaknesses/incompletenesses of the Constitution were in fact some of its greatest strengths.) BUT. Do you really not think some of Obama's application of those principles goes too far? Due process, once we get used to its being lost, may be frightful hard to recover.
-
Boeing 787 Screamliner
I have the greatest enthusiasm for this mission...
-
Boeing 787 Screamliner
Well, Polack jokes aside, one could argue that any carrier stupid enough to make such a bet deserves to go out of business.
-
Mistrial: Witness's fake eyeball pops out
Department of Can't Make This Stuff Up... http://us.cnn.com/2013/02/07/us/fake-eyeball-mistrial/index.html?iref=obinsite
-
Fuck The Boy Scouts
Go eat! Are you in Paris, or another city? In any event, no excuse to go hungry in France!
-
Fuck The Boy Scouts
Nice. Was my first time there. What a wonderful place.