Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Riobard

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Riobard

  1. Ratings are subjective. I am not attempting to contradict others' impressions or to strongly recommend a place. My 3 visits to Paragonya over 4 days (a day off touring Basel) were successful. It is quite possible it would not be replicated. Certainly, Monday and Tuesday experiences may have been serendipitous. The overall trip to northern Switzerland was magical, superb weather, hours of walking, both major cities possessing impressive art galleries with dozens of masterpieces. A repeat visit, having seen all major attractions, if Paragonya disappoints would be a letdown. The city location itself in Europe is a relatively expensive place to hang out if waiting for something to happen. Subsequent to my trip I investigated further the complexities of commercial sex licensing in Switzerland (the profession is legal but regulated), for both workers and establishments, as well as EU freedom of movement rights and responsibilities viz gainful employment. I realized that I jumped the gun in previous posts, and in future I would not specify identifiable providers. The trade is loosely unionized, populated by thousands of mostly women, with a semi-established program minimum rate of 100 francs (about on par with USD). Paragonya identifies as a regular bathhouse and distances itself from brothel designation by a sign on premises related to prostitution. The cabins are open to all types of occupants making hay with other occupants; the venue simply makes sure there is overall order. This partially explains occasional poor reviews by customers objecting to the trends of hookups there. The entance charge with unlimited cabin access is 37 francs. If I could change one thing re the premises, I would like a spray spritzer in the cabin to disinfect the vinyl mattress. There is minimal cleaning of cabins by staff and sheets are not provided. Just your two large bath towels. Many guys stay in their bare feet. Bring your own sandals. My playbook for handouts is to say what I am prepared to give. I do not request suggested donation amounts and negotiations do not figure prominently. I prefer to dictate what an experience is worth to me as I am the one helping, and it is ludicrous for a virtual stranger to arbitrarily second-guess the worth of fluid highly variable interactions on my behalf. We may both walk; I do not have a 100% success rate with offers. But it all worked out well at Paragonya. I will go as far as to say that my extensive experience in Brasil is somewhat revealed to these Zürich strangers. A hat trick there typically involved total donations about 50% more than Brasil based on paying full cabin rate in the latter for 3 programas.
  2. This comedic book Less was very positively reviewed in the NY Times. The critic pulled out a few quotes to exemplify the range of big laughs. One of these is related to the protaganist's (a 50 yr old gay author) trademark blue suit, tailored in "humid, moped-plagued" Ho Chi Minh City. A romantic comedy was long overdue for the Pulitzer. Good for Greer.
  3. This year, a handful of yellow fever cases among visitors to Ilha Grande, and at least one local death there. But the place looks lovely. Paraty a little further west is also worthwhile.
  4. Be sure, if you go there, to consider working in a visit to the Oscar Niemeyer Museum in Niteroi. The ferry is a fun alternative to the bridge. Also Praia Itacoatiara, the favoured beach of east-siders, further southeast from Niteroi ... it has a few hikes as well, including Elephant Rock.
  5. I ... we return the car with no issue I Unlike tart, I just took this to mean there were not yet any offspring from all that continual breeding.
  6. Tom's biggest asset for prenup consideration consists of a huge position in red roses that have yet to be accepted.
  7. I have learned, after too many "nothing ventured, so nothing gained" failures, to try to immediately and unhesitatingly go up to the targeted garoto and ask him to look for me later. I also make a habit of slipping him my 'zap number. If he tosses it, so be it. Truth is, I usually end up tossing his salad later. Of course, I will have also deferentially said hello briefly to the apparent cock-blocking customer.
  8. Mind you, floridarob's versa version is: on the BTTM getting shtooped, or on TOP sitting on it balls deep. ;>D
  9. I preferred the original Brit version ... Charlie Hunnam (Nathan, not Justin in that one) so hot, and his career certainly took off better.
  10. Two different guides ... Armstrong favela-focused and Vidal gay-focused.
  11. Yes, an older GAY white man, a chilling sicko to be sure, though not financially motivated. Even in polite Canada. And an acquaintance Harley was murdered in Toronto in 2006 through an online hookup, a down-on-his luck stockbroker who got desperate when trying to extort money and realized was headed for charges for unlawful restraint, etc.
  12. The one headline I feel is enough, within news cycles, with which to 'play chicken' is "'Gay Male Sex Tourist's Throat Slit Ear-to-Ear By Boytoy Hooker". The favela comes to me, and in me, or otherwise necklaced on me with throat intact ... I have no need to go to it.
  13. I cheat-read skimmed it last year at my local bookstore, according to my buy-one-read-one-free senior consumer playbook. I found it to be a rather fun though fluffy confection, similar genre as Under the Tuscan Sun, Eat Pray Love, Nanny Diaries, etc, but the prize committee must have thought it was meritorious. Shows how much I know about fiction. I do not think I was the only surprised one. Up there with Faulkner, Updike, Wharton, Cather, Wilder, Buck, Steinbeck, Michener, Hemingway, Agee, Harper Lee, Bellow, Roth, Walker, Shields, Eugenides, and gay Michael Cunningham? Really?! I will have to give his previous novels a look, as surely there must be some consistency of excellence to warrant this prestigious prize.
  14. Riobard replied to caeron's topic in Gay Asia
  15. Riobard replied to caeron's topic in Gay Asia
    For those who like gay-themed literature associated with their travel destinations, I have read all of Sri Lankan Canadian Shyam Selvadurai's award-winning fiction set in his native country. Excellent works. Not gay-themed but Michael Ondaatje's 'fictional memoir' (a unique genre) Running in the Family is a gem. He can do no wrong. It just occurred to me that, outside of USA, Canada, and UK sourced writers the most fiction I have read by authors born abroad is that of emigrated Sri Lankans (or the more exotic sounding Ceylonese).
  16. Defeats the purpose, as I would want to EAT him long before I could BE him.
  17. Many of us retirees prefer the 'ho'-key pokey ... that's what it's all about.
  18. Riobard replied to caeron's topic in Gay Asia
    Exercise caution. There is some anti-discrimination protection for those who identify as gay but homosexual acts remain illegal. Some headway is being made due to United Nations pressure, but decriminalization remains a work in progress.
  19. I watch all English-language TV with language closed caption. My hearing is good but sometimes sound recording is bad or it is like actors have a mouth full of marbles. It would be easy to miss the Gruff reference as it was just visual when younger Berryman scrolling a few seconds.
  20. But when will poppy seeds be restored to their rightful status in lemon loaf ... what was all the floss about?
  21. And later in the following decade ...
  22. Robbie is transformed to play Elizabeth I, substituting for kneecap shattering that era's answer to status threat, in Mary Stuart, with Saoirse Ronan in the lead.
  23. For brief and organized visitors, the Tomorrow Museum, Art Museum across from it, Benedictine monastery/church already mentioned and walkable to the first two, and the aquarium 2 short VLT stops further n/w can all be done in one sweep the same day.
  24. And for us older fogies in Brasil I recently discovered and successfully tested the privilege of having no disabling impairment but getting advance plane boarding irrespective of ticket class.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.