Everything posted by fedssocr
-
HM the King Grants Royal Pardon to Thaksin
I guess he can get parole in a couple of months. So he might just stay in the cushy hospital until then
-
Pheu Thai popularity plunges in new poll
It does seem notable that the PM is doing these appearances to try and win people over. No VIP treatment boarding the plane in Phuket. Visiting the market to talk to the merchants and find out what their issues are. Riding the MRT with commuters. They know that they look terrible right now. I guess it seems inevitable that they will find some way to try and get rid of MFP. The people running the show are short-term thinkers. MFP need to be recruiting and identifying the next crop of leaders. The push for a citizen-led charter rewrite is worth watching. Clearly that's the last thing the generals and powers that be want to happen.
-
Thai to sell its A380 fleet
Lufthansa is reactivating all 8 of their A380s and will base them at Munich. BKK is among the destination they'll be using the aircraft for. In a search of flights last night I did note an A380 LH flight to BKK in December. Their reasoning is the travel recovery and the further delays to the B777X program https://onemileatatime.com/news/lufthansa-airbus-a380/
-
Reduce electric train fares to 20 baht max?
You can use the Rabbit card at some stores. I believe including 7/11. And if you started eating KFC you could use it there as well. And yes, many Asian cities allow you to use their IC cards in convenience stores and restaurants. MRT's implementation of contactless payment should also be possible to implement on the others. That is spreading to systems all over the world.
-
Thai to sell its A380 fleet
I think Singapore's status as a business hub has helped them be that connection just like HKG. Certainly they've also got better management - TG has been mismanaged for a long time. TG never was able to make USA flights work since it's seen as a leisure destination and they are long flights. You can get people willing to pay more for those long flights to SIN but not to BKK. I wonder how Air Canada is doing with their BKK-YVR route
-
Tips for a dfrnt type of sex tourist, pls.
while people in our age bracket may be there mainly for young locals, some people might be flattered to be approached by a handsome man even if he's not the sort of guy they are usually looking for. Surely some are there to discuss their stamp collections and world events
-
Thai to sell its A380 fleet
Emirates will probably scoop them up if they can rehab them. Given the pilot shortage I think there's still a place for them
-
Where would you rent or buy in Pattaya ?
looks like there are lots of new "luxury" buildings that have gone up over there since I was last in town. This channel has lots of tours
-
Reduce electric train fares to 20 baht max?
I'm sure all of those fuel subsidies encourage driving as well. But at least the public transit networks keep expanding. Compared to my first visit 17 years ago the network is huge and getting huger
-
Reduce electric train fares to 20 baht max?
capping fares at 20 baht might get some vehicles off the road, but they probably need to add some capacity as well since things are so crowded at peak times already
-
Summer in Bangkok, another trip report this year
you're right about airfares... I have been keeping an eye on things too. And no frequent flyer awards in my required class of service. I guess high season might be quite busy - or there aren't enough flights. Thanks for your report. I always enjoy reading about your escapades
-
The amazing success of Only Fans
how big of a cut do they take from their content creators?
-
Visa on arrival
just get one of those free abandoned houses
-
Visa on arrival
The new PM is talking about allowing everyone with a visa exemption to stay 90 days instead of 30 in an effort to boost tourism. I don't know how many tourists are able to even stay for 30 days let alone 90, but for retirees who want to stay for longer periods it would be good depending on how often you can do it
-
Does crashing birthrate spell doom for Thailand?
obviously this is an issue in dozens of countries, so it's not unique to Thailand. Maybe they'll need to figure out ways to integrate more immigrants
-
Summer in Bangkok, another trip report this year
they're probably conditioned by jealous farang asking a lot of questions
-
Summer in Bangkok, another trip report this year
I have lots of IHG points and some free night certificates which really can make it more affordable.
-
Summer in Bangkok, another trip report this year
Did you ask at the front desk? They could probably provide one for you. I stayed at this place several times in the past. I really like the feeling of having a full apartment and they always had good deals. And even after the first time they welcomed me back. I presume they have a good database that alerts them to return guests. But I don't know how the change of brand may have changed things. But eventually I switched to the Crowne Plaza because of its better location and IHG affiliation even though it's not apartments.
-
Gay farangs living on the breadline
Yes, you may claim Social Security at 62 but at a reduced amount compared to full retirement age which currently ranges from 65 to 67 depending on the year of your birth. For me (born in 1967) full retirement age is 67. If I claim it at 62 it is reduced by a certain percentage per year. So I could claim it any time between 62 and full retirement age with a partial reduction. If you wait until after full retirement age (up to age 70 I believe) you get a supplemental amount. So if you wait until 70 I think it's an 8% bonus currently. And the amount of your benefit is based on a number of factors including years of work and amount paid in to the system.
-
Thaksin to return Aug. 10?
he wouldn't have come back if he expected to spend much time in prison. Surely this was all worked out in advance. He'll probably be on the tennis court tomorrow
-
Srettha beomes new PM
exactly. The speculation a couple of months ago was that ultimately this would be good for MF in the next election. I think that's true. As long as the people in charge don't manage to come up with some ludicrous reason to dissolve the party and bar all of its members from politics for 10 years or some other big number. This current case at the CC could very well be the vehicle to accomplish that. Whether that brings large numbers to the streets or not will be the key. MF needs to build some more experience in parliament. I also wonder if the Charter re-write has any chance of happening now. PT claimed they were going to go ahead with it, but it may not be so easy to do given who they are in bed with
-
Gay farangs living on the breadline
I think you can get by in Bangkok without speaking Thai. I follow Global Travel Mate on Youtube. He is Dutch and has been in Bangkok for something like a decade. He speaks almost no Thai. But apparently he has a successful real estate business. Not exactly sure how such a business qualifies for a business visa but I guess it does.
-
Srettha beomes new PM
it will be interesting to see if they manage to get much done. Seems like a fairly unwieldy coalition but I guess they only need 251 votes to do things in the House.
-
Gays in Aussie football?
Interesting report about the lack of out gay male players in Australian football
-
Would You Be Seen Dead On This Monster?
I used to always say I never wanted to take a cruise, but I did take a Med cruise on Virgin Voyages last autumn. The ship was quite nice. I enjoyed the ports. Their ships are more mid-sized than this and don't have all of the outdoor entertainment things like waterslides and go kart tracks. But they are "adults only" so they don't put a lot of those things that would cater more to kids and families. I was traveling solo and I am pretty introverted so I didn't do much socializing. But I think if I had gone with a group of friends I would have enjoyed it more.