TotallyOz

2 months in Shanghai

I am thinking of going for 2 months to Shanghai at the end of 2016.  I am excited about the trip as I have been to the city before but have not spent a great deal of time there. 

Any suggestion of places to go?  things to see?  where to meet gay boys?

I had one of the best massages of my life there, is supposedly a gay place, the owner certainly was. The guy was VERY cute and did a great massage but for the ending he just went through the motions but could tell he wasn't gay nor really into it.

I forget the name but is kind of right behind the Bangkok Bank on the main strip.... I found out about it on  Travelgayasia or Utopia, not sure

I've read reports of people getting approached in the street for a massage, then several heavies appear in the massage room and extort money.  

I missed the reports of police stings, but that wouldn't be a surprise.

What I'm also missing is discussion forums (like this one), with reports & recommendations for massages & so on.  

Guest ronnie4you

Shanghai is a city that I would also like to visit. The new architecture appeals, as does the Bund, which I have only seen in a James Bond movie.

Interesting that a few years ago CNN did a story on gay Shanghai. I am not sure how helpful it would be today.

http://travel.cnn.com/shanghai/drink/ultimate-guide-shanghai-gay-bars-356655/

Apparently November to February is the worst time for pollution.

http://www.healthandsafetyinshanghai.com/china-air-pollution.html

I have been in Shanghai few times since 2004. There are a lot of freelancers at Hornet and to find person (20-30 yo) who will join you in hotel "just for fun" been very easy even in my 50+ years. 

Places to see - old town, TV -tower (don't miss excellent museum in tower's basement), oceanarium (also close to TV tower), parks are impressive, riverside is charming place where I spend hours and hours (also cruising place)...

what to see is in any guidebook. Plus that they have even developed their own tourist-promotion-outlets and distribute all kinds of leaflets-in english and Thai too-about what to do/see. In such a long time (get your visa sorted out!-they may only give you 1 month) you have enough time for some short tripping outside-think of Nanjing, Hangzhou, Suzhou and the watertowns. All big cities now linked with the superfast and expensive new trains ev 20 mins or so. Was there late sept-just before the 1/10 main holiday and it was quite OK, but very crowded. At least traffic is more organsied as in BKK. Compared to TH/BK shopping is hardly worth any exploring. Much higher cost and lower choice.

Guest chinton

I am thinking of going for 2 months to Shanghai at the end of 2016.  I am excited about the trip as I have been to the city before but have not spent a great deal of time there. 

Any suggestion of places to go?  things to see?  where to meet gay boys?

I am in Shanghai regularly and found website www.utopia.asia very helpfull..

Any recommendation for a hotel in Shangai ? I'll be there next year for business.

could you please be a little bit more specific in your question? :)

I often use Fish Inn Bund and like it a lot - clean, central location, cozy rooms, not expensive, close to almost everything as it possible :) Even wi-fi is quite fast there :) And yes, they allows overnight visitors - just charge for towel (don't remember how much). 

http://www.fishinn.com.cn

On 1/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, floridarob said:

Michael, did you ever go?

Any updated info....there are INCREDIBLE prices from USA...just bought tix from Boston to Shanghai...$400 usd roundtrip on United.

I did go but not for 2 months. I love the city. But, I found it much harder to get around and find things than in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I did go but not for 2 months. I love the city. But, I found it much harder to get around and find things than in Thailand. 

!!!!Really!!!!  Good subway and taxis are cheap.  I would move there if the gay community was accepted.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

any recommendations for massage places...are they like the type in BKK or no sex??

I wish i can help you, i myself didnt speak nor read mandarin. But i have few chinese friends as well as reading forums like BW, where they always point to another chinese forums tt1069 for wealth of info. Another thing that is unique in china is the karaoke places that have working boys serving customers there. And yes they have gay massage centers and male masseurs in straight place that will do sex as well. They also have sauna, but its more like traditional bath rather than gay sauna without maze, dark room etc. And in general, cleanliness is an issue over there. There is also a general advice to use apps like blued for hookups rather than going to centers etc.

23 hours ago, spoon said:

If you can read mandarin, it should be easy to find things. Many massage places have names in mandarin.

I don't think many members read Mandarin, but if staying there for a while, it must be worth learning to recognise the characters for massage.   

On 1/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, KhorTose said:

!!!!Really!!!!  Good subway and taxis are cheap.  I would move there if the gay community was accepted.

interesting. I've been watching a number of videos on YT lately. There's a channel by a couple of expats called ADVChina. One guy is American and the other is South African. They've both lived in China for many years, have Chinese wives and family. And they are ready to pull the plug and leave China. They say it's gotten to be too much hassle to stay there as Westerners.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, z909 said:

I don't think many members read Mandarin, but if staying there for a while, it must be worth learning to recognise the characters for massage.   

Google translate can do amazing things, from conversation mode to translating from pointing your camera at a page or sign to translate....