Guest Cedric

The Nation versus Bangkok Post

It's probably the same like tattoos or facial hair on the boys - some don't notice at all, some find it off putting and others still actually very sexy.

People care to a great degree about different things , this is what makes life colorful. I had an uncle in the family , since deceased,  whose main worry upon moving into beautiful, brand new house  was that when he dies it will be problem to move his coffin through a bend in the vestibule. His son sensible answer was ' we move you through door to the veranda'.

When I pick fights I only care about price, waiting time at connection and times of departure and arrival. Rest is just small nuisance or unexpected bonus.

But others may worry about the pitch between seats, points collected , access to the lounge etc.

But I love Haagen Dazs on Cathay flights- that's my bonus

You are right. Everyone is entitled to his own priorities. And I don't want to criticize anyone.

Coming from a modest family, I was educated to appreciate VALUE over perfect satisfaction.  In a 24 hr. trip from US to BKK the value is in the successful transportation for the best price.  This day is already an exercise in patience, so what difference does it make to lay down in business class or sit down in economy, to get champagne or only soft drinks, to get lamb or the junk United feeds its economy passengers with?

Not only I don't envy the comfort of those who pay four times more than I do for the trip, but I have the satisfaction to enjoy it as much as they do in smart ways.  Thanks to the workout I do in a good gym I can sit throughout the trip without any pain or discomfort.  With less than $20 I bring with me the food I like (nutritious, not exquisite) that makes up for the junk from United, and I have sufficient entertainment and movement at the terminals that makes any airline lounge unnecessary.

I can afford the business class perfectly well, but I would feel like a fool overpaying so much for that.  I don't know... frugality may become an addiction, but it is a harmless addiction :)   

I can afford the business class perfectly well, but I would feel like a fool overpaying so much for that.  I don't know... frugality may become an addiction, but it is a harmless addiction :)   

Yes, frugality can become an addiction. I know one chap who can get (almost) free flights as far as Tokyo due to having a friend who is an ex airline employee. This chap could upgrade to Biz Class for an extra small amount but doesn't.

Also know gay guys in Thailand who wont go to go-go bars just to avoid buying a drink or dropping 20 Baht tip. 

For me, the comfort of Biz Class is worth it although I don't pay with cash, only with miles. 

PS- how did this topic get so far off track?