Guest Chicago

Thailand's War on Drugs

Good point, ChristianPFC, I'm sure those of us who have experienced positive effects from having a drink or five think differently for that reason alone.

But while I wouldn't use most other drugs myself, no matter if they're legal or not, I don't believe in restraining other people who might have other preferences.

But while I wouldn't use most other drugs myself, no matter if they're legal or not, I don't believe in restraining other people who might have other preferences.

Again, one purpose of restraining everybody is not to be dictatorial but to protect society from the loss of control caused by drugs. This justifies why airplane pilots, train drivers, surgeons in their operating rooms, car drivers, cannot be drunk or under the influence of other drugs.

Yes don't get me wrong, I would still punish people who cause damage being under the influence or whose intoxication puts others at risk. As long as that risk isn't just abstract as in, "all cocaine users are a danger to society". Drinking is okay, as a general rule, but e.g. driving while drunk is not. I'd just extend that principle to other drugs that currently aren't legal at all.

Guest Chicago

I smoked cigarettes for 30+ years, starting when I left home and began at the University.  I was naive and never started smoking for any particular reason......but eventually I realized I was dependent and addicted.  At that time I also began using alcohol and experimented with drugs.  I survived the University successfully with a 3.85 out of 4.0 average.  During my professional life I remained a smoker and alcoholic with little effect on my professional life.  10 years ago I quit cigarettes but remain drinking at a lessor degree than in the past.  During these years of abuse I knew I was damaging myself health-wise and damaging relationships with family and friends.  In various rehab programs I learned (and totally agree) that many of addictions were associated with an underlying problems of which I was self-medicating.

I guess my point is not to allow an individual find the bottom of bottoms before he realizes that he has destroyed his life and destroyed those who enabled him.  From experience, I do not think the solution is the legalization of anything that destroys.  However, individual decisions, although individually destructive, is the ultimate choice (not necessarily the right) of any individual, which is difficult for society to control.

But, I firmly believe, to the extent an individual's right (including his own destruction) effects and impacts society then it is the right of society to legislate and limit the individual's right for the better of the society as a whole.  Legislation is best integrated with a solution. Solving the problem rather than criticizing the symptom is essential.  As an example, it seems that the current increase of heroin and opiates in the US is partially a self-medication of the lack of a better tomorrow than a willful choice to become addictive.  The cost of this problem is a growing cost to all.  Providing an opportunity of a better tomorrow should be a goal to help those addicted. Hiding the problem with prison or eliminating it with death does not solve the actual problem.