reader

Thailand's Buddhism crisis

From the BBC

It was a jarring image; a group of Buddhist monks, with shaven heads and orange robes, sitting back in the soft-leather seats of an executive jet, passing luxury accessories among themselves.

The video of the monk, now known by his pre-monk name, Wirapol Sukphol, went viral after being posted on YouTube in 2013.

A subsequent investigation by the Thai Department of Special Investigations (DSI) uncovered a lifestyle of what appeared to be mind-blowing decadence. They tracked down at least 200 million Thai baht ($6m; £4.6m) in ten bank accounts, and the purchase of 22 Mercedes Benz cars.

Wirapol had built a mansion in southern California, owned a large and gaudily-decorated house in his home town of Ubon Ratchathani, and had also constructed a giant replica of the famous Emerald Buddha statue in Bangkok's royal palace, which he claimed - falsely, as it turned out - contained nine tonnes of gold.

There was evidence, too, the DSI said, of sexual relationships with a number of women. One woman claimed he had fathered a child with her when she was only 15 years old, a claim the DSI says is supported by DNA analysis.

Wirapol fled to the US. It took four years for the Thai authorities to secure his extradition. He has denied criminal charges of fraud, money laundering and rape.

How had a monk acquired so much influence, even in his early twenties? How was he allowed to behave in ways which clearly violate the patimokkha (the 227 precepts by which monks are supposed to live)? Monks are not even supposed to touch money, and sex is strictly off-limits.

Monks behaving badly are nothing new in Thailand. The temptations of modern life have thrown up many examples of monks with unseemly wealth, monks taking drugs, dancing, enjoying sexual

relations with men, women, girls and boys.

There are also temples which have attracted large and dedicated followings, through skilful promotion of charismatic monks and abbots, said to have supernatural powers.

These have capitalised on two aspects of modern Thai life; the yearning for spiritual succour among urban Thais, who no longer have a close relationship with a traditional village temple, and a belief that donating generously to powerful temples will bring success and more material wealth.

It appears Wirapol tapped into this trend. He arrived in the poor North Eastern province of Sisaket in the early 2000s, establishing a monastery on donated land in the village of Ban Yang. But according to the sub-district head, Ittipol Nontha, few local people went to his temple, because they were too poor to offer the kind of donations he expected.

Continues

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40678511

I think this particular guy isn't the best example why Buddhism in Thailand is in a crisis, he's extreme by any standard. For me, it's more the little details that are symptoms: The fact that ATMs and lottery ticket vendors can both be found on temple grounds, for example. Or stories I'm told by friends, about relatives who enter the monkhood and end up being introduced to methamphetamines by senior monks, which add to news reports about drug busts involving monks. Drug abuse seems shockingly widespread among the Buddhist clergy nowadays.

When I accompanied a boy that wanted to visit a temple, we had to stop at a 7/11 first, to buy all sorts of stuff to give to the monk.

The monk doing the blessing and throwing the water, seemed bored to death, and spoke as fast as possible, to get the next lot in, it seemed to me.

I left with the impression that it was one huge racquet .