reader

Where old planes go to retire

From NY Times

13BONEYARD-8-articleLarge.jpg?quality=30

MARANA, Ariz. — There may be no airliner as recognizable as the Boeing 747, the world’s first jumbo jet, with its iconic hump of an upper deck. For aviation fans, the introduction of the “Queen of the Skies” was a triumph of engineering and grace: unprecedented size and speed with spiral-staircase international glamour.

But the airline business has changed, and the giant plane has become more expensive to operate. A couple of weeks ago, the final 747 flight by any commercial United States airline took to the sky.

Like so many others before it, the plane was heading to the Southwest to retire.

Continues with pics

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/business/747-airlines-final-flight.html

I like story about plane being haunted and newspaper drifting to the stairs.

Still lot of 747 are still flying world over

My first arrival in BKK (16 years ago next month) was on a Northwest 747.  After marveling at the golf course situated between the parallel runways of Don Mueang, the aircraft parked at a bus gate. The stairs were rolled up, doors opened and the unique scent of charcoal fires and faint food odors drifted into the cabin. After clearing immigration, found a taxi and the rest is history.

There are indeed many 747's still in active service.  Since 1996, 1,539 have been delivered in various versions. There are 14 more on the order book, all in the stretched 747-800 configuration. The 747-800 may not be the largest aircraft in commercial use (those bragging rights go to the jumbo Airbus 380) but it is the longest at 250 ft., about a dozen feet beyond the 380.

Lufthansa is the larger operator with 19 in service. Although I've yet to fly one, I have observed one shortly after take off.  For a plane its size, it's remarkably quiet.

148867784.u2RlDrzp.jpg

The US Air Force has acquired two that are now being fitted out to serve as presidential aircraft, replacing the old 747-400's.

Quite a few planes seem to be dumped at Thailand's regional airports.

As for the presidential fleet, well I believe the US authorities will happily sign off 2 engine planes for us mortals to fly in, whilst the president's aircraft must have 4 engines plus various other stipulations, some clearly safety related.

My first arrival in BKK (16 years ago next month) was on a Northwest 747.

My 16th anniversary of first trip passed in November and it was also 747 , Los Angeles -Bangkok with Osaka stopover  by Thai. 

One of most comfortable  flights ever as it was 2 months after 9/11 and plane was 1/3 full only.  

Taxi driver offered me girl and when declined , without blinking an eye he said I have boy for you. Declined but I knew right away it will be fabulous trip.