numazu

Bangkok Trip Report 2018: I Get Really Greedy Edition

If a customer wants to pay all that, that's of course up to him.  or her.

Absolutely.  Market forces at work.   

Thankfully, my preference is for a somewhat more skinny build & to borrow terminology from Christian, I wouldn't take these "models" for free. 

I suppose it's like preferring a traditionally brewed ale to expensive champagne.   Not only is the ale much better, but cheaper as well.

I'd probably pay the 4-5k if I REALLY wanted the guy. But maybe as a one off rather than every night.

The same here, after first off it's easier to assess whether money was well spent.

Tip requested may be usually bargained down but too much economizing may be fun killer for some and question what is better :

overpaid but happy companion or market priced  but bit grumpy one ? must be weighted in

And, as regards the off fee (bar fine), it makes sense.  If the bar has to pay the guy say roughly 1,000 (plus or minus) a night for working, then the customer should pay the bar that if he's taking the guy off premises.  

Not sure that's right. The bars make an ENORMOUS amount of money on drinks. A small bottle of Singh beer is about 45 Bt in 7/11 and they sell drinks for 450 to 500 Bt in some bars.

Regarding the 1200 off fee. It only takes 2 guys to refuse to pay the 1200 and the next guy to accept...then they have made the 1200 they wanted in the first place!

Not sure that's right. The bars make an ENORMOUS amount of money on drinks. A small bottle of Singh beer is about 45 Bt in 7/11 and they sell drinks for 450 to 500 Bt in some bars.

Regarding the 1200 off fee. It only takes 2 guys to refuse to pay the 1200 and the next guy to accept...then they have made the 1200 they wanted in the first place!

I really don't understand what you're saying is not "right."  Perhaps you can explain.

Yes, the bars make the money on the alcohol.  Not on the off fee.  

Because people were making such a stink about the off fee at Moonlight, what I was pointing out was that in the case of Moonlight, for the better "models," we know the salary is roughly 1,200 per night.  The bar pays that to the guy who shows up to work, whether or not the guy is off'd.  The customer paying the 1,200 off fee (bar fine) is just bringing the bar back to zero.  

At other bars it's often as simple as that, but sometimes plus or minus 100 baht.  For example, as of a while ago, Fresh Boys paid its guys about 500 a night, and the off fee was about 500.  Same.  X-Boys would pay about 300 a night, even with a 400-500 off fee, which is one of the reasons X-Boys was (and probably still is) a starter bar for the guys to work in.  

And I simply don't understand what you're saying about 2 guys refusing and then the next accepting.  Implicitly customers are constantly "refusing" by not off'ing someone.  I just don't understand your point.  Again, please explain.

I walked by the Crowne Plaze today and smiled to myself, “Ahhh that’s where numazu stays with his membership points. Imagine all the fun he’s had at that hotel...”.

Even though we’ve never met, I thought of you often on my first trip to Bangkok — all the places you mentioned in your posts over the years suddenly came to life! In fact, you inspired me to make this journey.

It was every thing I hoped for and more. Thank you for your wonderful reporting and stories.