paborn

Handsome Man contests

Most likely a short thread as the question is simple. Decades ago the Bangkok bars competed periodically in handsome man contests. One bar hosted, the others sent their contestants, there was food serviced - a party like atmosphere with an actual party in the soi. I haven't heard of this in years. Are they still held?

Sorry, did not visit any bar since many years. However, what i do recall is from the free give-away magazines, that at least some 2 yrs ago these ''contests'' were still being held, but at a more extra-vagant level with high-price entry tickets and participants not just from bars. But then about any Thai village that has some yearly show/feast still chooses a miss/mr. durian/watermelon/farang/potato/shrimp/buffalo-you name it, they do it.

As an aside, I was musing to post something like: '' Do they still do this?'' aimed at long-time visitors. Some habits die very hard here in TH.

F.e. like ;massage of shoulders in the loo while taking a leak

spontaneous approach in bars from boys without being asked for (I guess that died when BE-HIGH closed)

etc.

I don't know what the bars around Surawong are doing, but I remember some years ago Farose 1 sauna had a South-East-Asian big cock contest. I chatted with one of the performers (from Cambodia, still working in gogo around Surawong) and while he is not my type, he is a friend's type and I brought then into contact and they had many happy times together. But such contests are rare, I haven't heard of one since.

Not handsome man, but there is Miss Universe in Impact Arena soon.

pong: F.e. like ;massage of shoulders in the loo while taking a leak.

This is getting rare, and I'm happy about that. One guy giving massage (I spot it right when I enter the toilet, and decline), another turning on the water for me, a third handing me a towel, and they all asking for tip, which I happily decline hoping this will accelerate the demise of this awful custom.