macaroni21

Phnom Penh, January 2020

This is really in answer to a question by tamtam in a thread in the Gay Thailand forum, but it's better that I put the answer in Gay Cambodia so that it will be easier to find in future.

I was there for four days last month, for a couple of work meetings and considerable free time.  I've been to Phnom Penh perhaps ten years before and thus I didn't need to do the standard tourist attractions -- not that there are many. Two days, I think, would be enough. I would recommend the National Museum though. I was fortunate that I had a whole afternoon to myself on one of the days and spent three hours there to closing time.

I checked out the bars Toolbox and Space Hair. I walked past Blue Chilli but the road in front had been dug up and was such a mess with trash everywhere, it was quite off-putting (no fault of the bar, I must stress). I also availed the services of young men at two massage places: Hatha Khmer and Dai Khmer. If I had more time, I might have tried a place called Paradise Massage , reportedly above POC bar, and if I didn't have to wake up early in the mornings for appointments and phone calls, I might have checked out the late night dance club Heart of Darkness (said to be increasingly gay) but I didn't.

Both the bars I found boring. Basically, none of the waiters/hosts could speak any English. There's no conversation to be had unless you're with friends of your own, or able to strike up a conversation with other drinkers in the bar. They are small bars (Space Hair had 4 tables, Toolbox was full with eight customers). Toolbox at least had a show at 22:30h -- energetic dancing, nothing erotic. Space Hair had no show at all. Blue Chilli reputedly has a drag show -- not my cup of tea, so another reason not to prioritise that place. I can't say anything about POC bar since I did not visit. The cutest boys I found were a bunch of footballers monkeying around at Domino's Pizza! I had more entertainment and eye candy for the price of a pizza than both bars put together.

I don't know why Sharky Bar and Restaurant is sometimes mentioned as a place to go. Research via tripadvisor reviews speak of too-loud music and cigarette smoke. The photos there show skimpily-dressed young women.

At both places Hatha Khmer and Dai Khmer, oil massage was USD 10 for a 60-minute session. Expected tip USD 20. I found massage skills subpar. Even the afters were rather mechanical.

In other words, there is no reason to go back to Phnom Penh (unless work calls again) for another ten years.

I should be writing up fuller reports, but it's difficult to find the time. Will try over the next two weeks or so.

I have similar experiences and thoughts to Macaroni and agree on most points.  Particularly the poor massages.    I did go to POC and won't be rushing back.

However, I have been to Phnom Penh 5 times in about 13 years.  The saunas may be worth a visit and I've generally got lucky in finding boys who do speak English. I expect to be back, maybe in about 3 years.

Its been said so many times now-for the real gems of Khmerland simply stay in BKK or PTY. The carrots of higher pay and more customers are a real draw. My last visit there was by now some 3-4 yrs ago and I found it about as dirty/backward in many respects as Burma then. Indeed-somehow their style of msg pales compared with Thai. Later reviwes say Hata (=hands) Khmer has gone much downhill.

But in general here in BKK my meets with Khmer are generally quite good to excellent. IF they speak english, they do it far better as the average Thai working in touristy things.

As an aside: the trains run again (mostly around weekends, incl. to Thai border now, also daily to airport), there is now a cheap/free (for any >70) citybus in PnPn and also a cheap (20 bt/2000 rl) boat service along the river close by PnPn. Check for blogs movetocambodia.com