TotallyOz

Mary Cheney defends her pregnacy

I loved the interview with her father last week with Wolf questioning him about the pregnacy. Mary finally spoke up and said that gay couples were just as qualified to raise children as hetrosexual couples are. Imagine that!

I just spent a few weeks with a lesbian couple who are raising 2 children of their own. They are amazing parents and I really enjoyed getting to know them better and the birth father. It never crossed my mind that gays would not be good parents but aparently socienty does. Or, at least large parts of it. Why? What are they afraid of?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/31/us/31cnd...=rssnyt&emc=rss

Guest comment

> It never crossed my mind that gays would not be good

>parents but aparently socienty does. Or, at least large parts

>of it. Why? What are they afraid of?

>

They're afraid that gays will be seen as mainstream. That mainstream gay means we're acceptable. That gays will raise the next generation of children who accept our sexual desire without limitation.

I call children raised by non-traditional families, "children of harmony," and this world needs more harmony.

I'm happy for her, but I think the question to her father is valid.

It's hypocritical for him to espouse a party line that gays shouldn't marry or have children, and then turn around and applaud his own daughter for it. The question is only asked because of the hypocrisy.

>his psychosis and his thuggishness.

Exactly so! The perfect pair of terms to sum up those aspects of rightist and economically privileged people that let them feel justified in prescribing and proscribing for others. While feeling they themselves to be above their own pre/proscriptions, or at least knowing they have the means to get around them when necessary. E.g., in the old days, traveling to where abortions were legal, etc., etc.

Back to the old argument between right and left over which side is worse about setting government to meddling in the lives of the masses, and to what end.

Guest comment

Thanks for the kind words. At one point I actually began a book based on my long time feelings about this. Maybe one day I'll find the time to continue writing.